26.11.2020. MEXICO. Periodista aguerrida, crítica, la colega Claudia Sánchez Juárez (photo), de 39 años de edad, murió este día. Apenas hace unos cuantos días había muerto su padre y ahora ella víctima de Covid-19. Severa en sus juicios y en sus cuestionamientos, pero muy profesional, asi se destacaba Claudia Sánchez desde sus inicios en el periodismo, primero en los medios impresos como El Heraldo y El Diario, luego en los medios digitales, primero en Radiza donde prestó sus servicios por varios años y posteriormente a partir de julio creando su propio portal de noticias - Claudia Noticias - donde sobresalía por sus crónicas en directo a través de las redes sociales y por sus notas siempre críticas.
26.11.2020. INDIA. Another Indian journalist dies of Covid-19: so far 51 journalists died of Covid-19 in India. New Delhi based senior journalist Rajiv Katara (60, photo) died of novel coronavirus on 26 November at a private hospital where he was undergoing treatment after testing positive for novel coronavirus infection. A well-known name of Hindi journalism, Katara lately worked for Kadambini, a social and literary magazine published by Hindustan Times Group. Hailed from Aligarh in Uttar Pradesh and an alumni of Delhi University, Katara was earlier associated with different publications like Chouthi Duniya, Sunday Observer and Dainik Jagaran.
24.11.2020. USA. Longtime Reno news anchor Brent Boynton (photo) died of coronavirus on Tuesday. He was 64. Boynton, a member of the Nevada Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame, spent more than three decades in TV news, including stints at both KTVN and KOLO. Boynton most recently worked as a community outreach coordinator for the Reno Housing Authority. The Emmy-nominated television journalist also served as communications director for former Gov. Jim Gibbons.
24.11.2020. PARAGUAY. El periodista deportivo Javier Sosa Briganti (photo) falleció este martes por coronavirus (Covid-19), según informaron sus colegas del canal en el que trabajaba. Recientemente también falleció su hija Natalia a causa del Covid-19. Muchos de sus colegas expresaron su tristeza a través de las redes sociales y enviaron fuerza a la familia.
24.11.2020. ARGENTINA. Gerardo René Nieva, periodista radicado en el departamento El Alto, falleció anoche en el Hospital Monovalente Carlos Malbrán. Había contraído la enfermedad del coronavirus hace unos días, e incluso supo salir por radio contando de las buenas atenciones recibidas en el Monovalente.
21.11.2020. MEXICO. Dos periodistas más sucumbieron al covid en México. Falleció por covid-19 el periodista
Alfredo Mena (photo). Con 59 años de edad y más de 40 años de experiencia como reportero, "el señor Mena"
dejó un legado perdurable en los medios de comunicadión de esta frontera, luego de su trayectoría dentro de
periódicos como Norte, El Diario y por último el Heraldo de Juárez.
Juan José Dórame Castillo, periodista y productor televisivo falleció 21 de noviembre en el hospital del IMSS, donde luchaba contra el Covid-19 en Culiacán, Sinaloa. Falleció ayer luego de estar hospitalizado durante varios días, y conectado a un respirador artificial.
20.11.2020. INDIA. One more Indian journalist dies of Covid-19. Senior journalist Pankaj Shukla (photo, 50), based in Noida near New Delhi, died of Covid-19 at JP Hospital last night (20 November 2020). Hailed from Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, Shukla studied at Allahabad University. He used to work for various media outlets like Amar Ujala, Dainik Jagaran, Janmat TV, Khabar Bharti, News 30, News Express. Lately Shukla launched his own you tube channel Rajsatta Express where he worked as its editor-in-chief.
18.11.2020. USA. Eleanor Schano, Trailblazing Journalist in Pittsburgh, Dies at 88. Ms. Schano rose from “weather girl” to reporter to anchor in firsts for the city. She died of Covid-19. In the male-dominated world of broadcast news in the 1950s and ‘60s, Eleanor Schano became the first solo woman television news anchor in Pittsburgh. It was only one of several television firsts by Ms. Schano in that city during a six-decade career.
17.11.2020. Journalist Deaths from COVID-19 Rise Seven-Fold; Nearly 500 Dead Worldwide (Global Investigative Journalism Network).
Read the PEC interview on PEC NEWS or on:
17.11.2020. INDIA. One more Indian journalist dies of Covid-19. Delhi-based senior journalist Rakesh Taneja (51, photo) passed away at a Faridabad hospital late night on Monday. According to reports, he had recovered from COVID-19 few days back but developed post-COVID complications and was hospitalised. Hailing from Hisar in Haryana, Rakesh earned a name for himself with his Reporting on Crime and Legal beats in the National Capital. He had worked in senior positions with Zee News, Amar Ujala and Dainik Bhaskar.
14.11.2020. ARGENTINA. Falleció por Covid-19 el periodista Carlos González (photo). Trabajó en varios medios de comunicación y la prensa del Gobierno de La Pampa. Tenía 65 años. Hacía tres semanas que se encontraba internado por presentar patología respiratoria Covid-19 positivo.
Coronavirus en San Luis: la indignante muerte de un trabajador de los medios que deja en evidencia al Comité de Crisis. Se trata del operador de radio Horacio Cejas, que sufría obesidad y no recibió atención del sistema de salud. Vecinos escucharon los desesperantes gritos de pedido de ayuda porque no podía respirar. Era un joven de 25 años, del programa La Tarde Cadena de Noticias.
12.11.2020. BRASIL. Informamos com profunda tristeza o falecimento, no início desta tarde, 10 de novembro de 2020, em Manaus, de José Honório Garcia Rocha (J. Rosha) (photo), jornalista e assessor de comunicação do Conselho Indigenista Missionário, vitima de Covid-19. Ao longo dos mais de 30 anos no Cimi Norte I, Rosha ajudou a alimentar e impulsionar numerosas campanhas a favor da demarcação e proteção de terras indígenas e por políticas adequadas e específicas de saúde e educação. Bem como repercutir denúncias indígenas de violação de seus direitos e de outros temas de interesse das comunidades.
Rosha colaborou com a formação de comunicadores indígenas e, nos últimos anos, também assumiu o programa de rádio “A Voz dos Povos Indígenas” na Rádio Comunitária A Voz das Comunidades, em Manaus. Também realizou um documentário, entre 2011 e 2012, sobre o descaso com a saúde indígena no Amazonas. De 1989 até os dias de hoje, Rosha contribuiu constantemente com o jornal Porantim, veículo de muitas de suas matérias. Durante esses meses de pandemia do novo coronavírus, Rosha também denunciou o descaso e o negacionismo do governo federal responsáveis por, especialmente em Manaus, provocar uma onda devastadora de mortes e doentes.
11.11.2020. BRASIL. Mais três jornalistas morreram de covid-19. João Carlos Pereira (photo), professor e jornalista, morre de Covid-19 em Belém. Ele tinha 61 anos. João Carlos era um dos maiores pesquisadores sobre a história do Círio e estava preparando um novo livro sobre o tema. Ele era um apaixonado por esse momento tão especial para o povo paraense. Durante 20 anos, ele participou das transmissões da TV Liberal trazendo informações e explicando detalhadamente cada momento do Círio de Nazaré. Morreu nesta madrugada Romeu Cesar, ex-repórter da rádio Globo de São Paulo, aos 59 anos de idade. O jornalista esportivo estava internado na Santa Casa de Valinhos lutando contra complicações causadas pela Covid-19. O radialista, conhecido carinhosamente como "Fera", ficou reconhecido por seu trabalho em grandes emissoras do interior e, depois, na rádio Globo da capital, onde permaneceu por 20 anos. A morte do comunicador Saulo Gomes pegou a comunidade imperatrizense de surpresa. Vítima da covid-19, o jornalista prestou um importante papel para a sociedade imperatrizense, sendo parte da hstória da segunda maior cidade do Maranhão.
06.11.2020. REPUBLICA DOMINICANA. Dos golpes en un mismo día causa mucho dolor. Lirio Cruz, un ícono del periodismo en Jarabacoa, padecía de problemas cardíacos incluso había sido operado del corazón y le dio el Covid, por lo que fue internado en un centro de La Vega y trasladado a Santiago donde falleció. Al momento de su partida era secretario general de la filial Jarabacoa del Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de la Prensa.
En Santiago murió hoy el comunicador y abogado Anyelo Encarnación Mata, falleció al ser ingresado en el hospital regional José María Cabral y Báez con dificultades respiratorias y otras complicaciones. Le diagnosticaron Covid-19. Fue productor del programa Prensa y Opinión, reportó para Super Semana Santa, del circuito Medrano, también en la Chercha de la Mañana de Radio Norte y en otros medios.
05.11.2020. INDIA. ONE MORE CORONA-MEDIA VICTIM. Orissa media sources reveal that Prabir Kumar Pradhan (photo), a Bhubaneswar based television scribe, succumbed on 5 November 2020 to novel corona virus infection related ailments as he was undergoing treatment in the hospital. Pradhan (35) used to work for News18 (Odia) news channel. Terming the scribes as corona-warriors after the practicing doctors, nurses, sanitation workers, police personnel etc, JFA president Rupam Barua and secretary Nava Thakuria repeated their appeal to every media person to be careful and cautious while reporting the pandemic from the ground. They also urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to announce a comprehensive financial package to each media victim in the country.
Morreu vítima de covid ontem à tarde a jornalista Carlota Medeiros, 47 anos. Estava internada no hospital da Unimed, em Balneário Camboriú. Carlota ficou conhecida por sua atuação no parque Dom Bosco durante anos. Desde o início da estão Volnei Morastoni (MDB), Carlota trabalhava como diretora de Relações Públicas da prefeitura de Itajaí.
03.11.2020. ARGENTINA. El conductor y director artístico de la radio cordobesa Cadena 3, Mario Pereyra, falleció en la madrugada de este domingo en una clínica provincial tras haber dado positivo de coronavirus Covid-19. Estaba internado desde el pasado 13 de octubre con síntomas que se fueron agudizando.
03.11.2020. MAROC. Driss Ouhab (photo), ancien journaliste de la chaîne 2M, est mort, le 29 octobre à Casablanca, du nouveau coronavirus (Covid-19), a-t-on appris auprès de sa famille. Il a fait partie de l’équipe de lancement de 2M en 1989. Le défunt s’est distingué par sa forte présence à l’antenne et son style spécial dans la présentation du bulletin d’information, avant de s’essayer au commentaire sportif, puis terminer sa carrière à Radio 2M.
03.11.2020. ITALIA. Pino Scaccia (photo), storico inviato della Rai ed ex capo redattore dei servizi speciali del Tg1, è morto a 74 anni il 28 ottobre per delle complicanze legate al Covid-19. Come inviato Scaccia aveva seguito la fine dell’Unione Sovietica, la guerre nell’ex Jugoslavia, la prima e seconda guerra del Golfo e quelle in Afghanistan e Libia. In Italia si era occupato anche di mafia e terrorismo. “Di sicuro una grande perdita per tutta la professione”, scrive in una nota il direttivo dell’Usigrai.
Pino Scaccia, historical Rai correspondent and former editor of the special services of Tg1, died on October 28th at the age of 74 from complications related to Covid-19. As an envoy, Scaccia had followed the end of the Soviet Union, the wars in the former Yugoslavia, the first and second Gulf wars and those in Afghanistan and Libya. In Italy he also dealt with the mafia and terrorism. "Certainly a great loss for the whole profession", wrote the management of Usigrai in a note.
02.11.2020. Day against impunity. At least 442 media workers died from Covid-19 in 8 months // Journée contre l’impunité. Au moins 442 travailleurs des médias sont morts du Covid-19 en huit mois // Día Internacional para Poner Fin a la Impunidad. Al menos 442 trabajadores de los medios ha muerto a causa del Covid-19 en 8 meses
READ the full PEC Press release on PEC NEWS (English, French, Spanish and Arabic)
25.10.2020. Update on AFGHANISTAN. So far 7 media workers died of Covid-19 in Afghanistan, according to the Afghanistan Journalists Center: Solaiman Yosufi, driver, Ariana TV, Kabul, 29 May 2020, Shah Mahmood Harun, 57, HR, Pajhwok Afghan News Agency, Kabul, 15 Jun 2020, Parwin Rafiqi, 58, reporter, Bakhtar News Agency (state-run), 17 Jun 2020, Nawid Azimi, 30, reporter, RTA (State-run Radio Television Afghanistan), Kabul, 22 Jun 2020, Mina Rafi, presenter, Banu TV (woman TV), Kabul, 26 Jun 2020, Yosuf Yosufi, Ex cameraman, ArianaTV, Kabul, 26 Jun 2020, Dad Mohammad Annabi (photo), editor-in-chief, Eslah Newspaper, Kabul, 12 Jul 2020.
24.10.2020. Venezuela. Muere director de Líder 100.1 FM de El Vigía por síntomas de COVID-19. Tras permanecer hospitalizado 8 días por complicaciones respiratorias asociadas a la enfermedad de coronavirus, Elvys Rondón, locutor, narrador de fútbol y director de la emisora Líder 100.1 FM de El Vigía, municipio Alberto Adriani del estado Mérida, falleció la noche de ayer viernes 23 de octubre en el Instituto Autónomo Hospital Universitario de Los Andes (Iahula). Rondón tenía 38 años de edad.
21.10.2020. INDIA. The Covid-19 pandemic continues to take its toll as more journalists are dying because of novel corona virus aggravated complications across India. Lately journalist Jitendra Debbarma (46, photo) died of Covid-19 Tuesday at a hospital in Khumulwng –– the first death due to coronavirus of a journalist in Tripura. Jitendra was engaged with Chini Khorang, a local Kokborok cable TV channel. He tested positive for coronavirus Tuesday. He was given oxygen support. But his condition was already serious and he succumbed soon after. Mysuru based senior journalist Pavan Hettur (35), who worked for Kannada daily Prajavani succumbed to the infection and passed away on 18 October 2020. Days back Patna based photojournalist Krishna Mohan Sharma (63), working for Times of India, died of Covid-19 complications on 15 October while undergoing treatment at AIIMS, New Delhi. Same day, senior cricket journalist & commentator Kishore Bhimani (81), acknowledged as an illustrious son of Bengal, died at a Kolkata based private hospital after contracting Covid-19 (with The Sentinel and JFA).
20.10.2020. CORONAVIRUS. HOW MANY DEATHS in BRAZIL ? Brazil "in the middle of a schizophrenic situation"
Read the contribution of the PEC regional representative in Brazil on PEC NEWS
15.10.2020. SWITZERLAND. First journalist killed by the virus in Switzerland. A New Zealand woman living and working in Switzerland for more than a decade has died of Covid-19. Wine reviewer Nina Bobillier (photo), who had part-Swiss and part-New Zealand heritage, succumbed in less than a fortnight to the deadly infection on Monday according to tributes posted online. Bobillier worked as a wine journalist based in Lavaux. A biography on Newly Swissed said the writer, who contributed to the flagship online magazine, had previously worked in the European country's wine and tourism industry as a wine writer, a wine educator in hotel and finishing schools, a tour operator and wine guide. Bobillier had over 14 years of professional experience in the industry and earned multiple diplomas from Ecole du Vin de Changins, Switzerland's leading wine school (with the New Zealand Herald).
12.10.2020. ISRAEL. Writer Yehoshua Kenaz (photo), one of the greats of Hebrew literature, has died on Monday at the age of 83 after contracting the coronavirus. For decades, Kenaz published novels, novellas, short stories and translations, and worked at Haaretz for about 30 years, editing the culture and literature supplement, among other things. The former Haaretz editor published his most well-known novel “Infiltration," considered a milestone in Hebrew literature, in 1986.
12.10.2020. VENEZUELA. El reconocido periodista zuliano Ricardo Castellanos (photo) falleció este domingo a causa del COVID-19, tras varios días dando la batalla contra la enfermedad. Castellanos era reconocido tanto por sus cualidades profesionales, como por su don de gente por lo que se ganó el aprecio de colegas y relacionados, especialmente en la fuente de arte y espectáculos, como agente de prensa.
09.10.2020. BRASIL. O jornalista Edson Luiz (photo) morreu nesta quinta-feira (8/10), aos 60 anos, após complicações causadas pela covid-19. Grande nome do jornalismo brasileiro, foi internado há um mês com problemas no fígado e rins. No hospital, testou positivo para o novo coronavírus e a situação agravou-se, mas conseguiu passar pela doença. Há um dia, sofreu infarto, o colapso dos órgãos vitais se agravou e o quadro ficou insustentável. Conhecido como Edinho, o jornalista fez história em diferentes veículos, como Estadão, O Globo e Correio Braziliense, entre outros.
07.10.2020. GERMANY. Musikjournalist Karlheinz Drechsel (photo) starb an Corona. Er war die Stimme des Jazz in der DDR. Insgesamt soll Karlheinz Drechsel 3500 Radiosendungen moderiert haben. Kurz vor seinem 90. Geburtstag erlag der gebürtige Dresdner einer Corona-Infektion in einem Berliner Krankenhaus.
07.10.2020. PERU. Falleció el periodista Luis Cornejo Coayla (photo), a consecuencia del coronavirus. Fue un destacado deportista y conductor de espacios informativos en medios de comunicación radial de la ciudad de Moquegua.
03.10.2020. USA. Three journalists who work at the White House tested positive on Friday, according to a series of memos from the White House Correspondents Association. “Given these positive cases, the president’s diagnosis and positive cases among other members of the White House staff, a number of White House journalists are self-isolating pending diagnostic testing,” the correspondents association said in an email to members Friday night. Reporters and White House spokespeople work together in cramped quarters, often meeting the definition of close contact. The correspondents association said “we can’t stress enough the importance of mask-wearing, social distancing and common sense, especially on the White House complex.”
02.10.2020. Perú. La Asociación Nacional de Periodistas del Perú (ANP) ANP publicó ayer un nuevo relevamiento sobre los efectos de la pandemia entre los trabajadores de prensa del país andino: “En doscientos días de emergencia nacional, iniciada el 16 de marzo, han fallecido 163 periodistas, de estos 92 perdieron la vida por COVID (39 contagiados cumpliendo su labor); mientras 71 perdieron la vida por otras causas o complicaciones de salud que dejaron de ser atendidas por la saturación del sistema sanitario”, afirma el documento. En ese texto, se detalla además: “A esa cifra se suma en este periodo la muerte de otros 14 trabajadores de medios (administradores, conductores, locutores, columnistas, etc)”.
01.10.2020. INDIA. India lately lost six journalists to Covid-19 complications within ten days. According to PEC figures, 44 journalists succumbed to the virus so far in India. Veteran journalist Ashwani Kapoor (70) succumbed to the virus at a private hospital in Ludhiana on Tuesday 29 September. He was posted in Hoshiarpur as senior correspondent of the Punjab Kesari group. Golap Saikia (photo), a news presenter in India, died Sept. 26. Saikia was 52. He used to work as a casual newsreader in All India Radio Guwahati prior to which he presented news bulletins in Guwahati Doordarshan along with private satellite news channels like DY365, NewsLive, PrimeNews, etc. Earlier, Indore (Madhya Pradesh) based senior journalist Manoj Binwal died of the virus infection in the hospital. Binwal (55), who worked for Hindi newspaper Prajatantra, was hospitalized after testing positive for Covid-19 and breather his last on 20 September. A day back, Agra based journalist Ami Adhar Nidar (50) died of the virus infection at a Gurugram hospital. Associated with widely circulated Hindi newspaper DainikJagaran, the popular journalist was hospitalized after he tested positive for Covid-19. Anil Srivastava (68) from Basti in Jammu locality succumbed to Covid-19 on 18 September. He worked for the United News of India for many years, and also edited local newspapers namely VicharParakh and PrakashTimes. Same day, Madhya Pradesh lost one of its senior journalists to Covid-19. Harish Choubey (60), who worked for popular Hindi newspaper DainikBhaskar from Jabalpur, was hospitalized after testing positive for the virus infection. He died Sept 18.
Journalists' Forum Assam (JFA) urges Prime Minister Narendra Modi to announce a financial package to each media victim family as a mark of respect to those corona-warriors along with the practicing doctors, nurses, sanitation workers, police personnel, etc. JFA president Rupam Barua and secretary Nava Thakuria repeated their appeal to every media person to be careful and follow all necessary health protocols while reporting the Covid-19 pandemic from the ground.
30.09.2020. BOLIVIA. Muere el reconocido periodista Marcos Montero (photo) en Santa Cruz tras cuatro meses de batalla contra el covid-19. El periodista llevaba 23 años trabajando para la televisora Red Uno y era uno de los periodistas más queridos por los televidentes. “Más de un centenar de periodistas han sido contagiados con el coronavirus y hemos tenido que lamentar la muerte de por lo menos una docena de nuestros compañeros, el último fue Marco Montero en Santa Cruz, que lamentablemente esta madrugada falleció después de una penosa y larga agonía. Marco fue uno de los periodistas que más tiempo ha sufrido antes de perder la vida”, dijo el pres dente de la Asociación Nacional de Periodistas de Bolivia, Pedro Glasinovic. El primer fallecimiento fue el 25 de mayo, cuando se reportó la muerte del productor y camarógrafo Jacinto Quispe Maydana; otro caso ocurrió el 29 de mayo, entonces murió el periodista Rubén Darío Méndez, luego de haber presentado síntomas durante dos días, sin recibir la ayuda correspondiente del centro de emergencias, todos ellos de Santa Cruz. Así también, en el departamento de Beni se reportaron tres decesos: se conoce que dos cumplían funciones para el área deportiva y el tercero es un trabajador del rotativo trinitario, encargado de la diagramación de un periódico. En la ciudad de Cochabamba murió un periodista potosino, Vladimir Flores Ríos. También se registró el fallecimiento del periodista Jaime Arósqueta, corresponsal de Radio Panamericana en Llallagua, en el norte de Potosí. Así también, el reconocido locutor y DJ Jesús Rodríguez, voz oficial de Stereo 97 y El Mañanero de la red Uno, falleció el 3 de septiembre en un nosocomio de La Paz, después de permanecer internado por varias semanas.
27.09.2020. LEBANON. Riyad Al Rayyis (photo), a renowned Syrian journalist and a giant in the Arabic publishing world, has died. The 83-year-old was seeking treatment for the coronavirus at a Beirut hospital when he died on Saturday. Al Rayyis was born in 1937 in Damascus. After graduating from the Broumana School in Lebanon, Al Rayyis travelled to London just as the Suez Crisis was beginning in October 1956. The journalist joined an Arab student association based in the UK and Ireland and soon became the editor of the association’s magazine, the Arab Review. In 1966, Al Rayyis began working as the Vietnam correspondent for Al Hayat newspaper. Following his stint as a Vietnam correspondent, Al Rayyis began working at the Lebanese daily An-Nahar. Al Rayyis moved to London from Lebanon in 1977. There, he established Al Manar, the first Arabic newspaper to be published in Europe. Later, in 1986, he established the famous Riyad Al Rayyis Publishing Company, through which he published a number of works, including his own, such as the Northern Winds: Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and Arabs in the Nineties, A Journalist and Two Cities, and The Eastern Winds. In 1986, as the civil war calmed in Lebanon, Al Rayyis moved his publishing company to Beirut.
27.09.2020. PANAMA. Comunicadores sociales están de luto con la repentina pérdida de la periodista Angélica Torres, quien lamentablemente falleció este sábado 26 de septiembre, víctima del nuevo coronavirus. Torres era Jefa de Prensa de la Caja de Seguro Social, muy activa en medio de la pandemia.
26.09.2020. CHINA. Chinese citizen journalist who disappeared after reporting Wuhan's coronavirus outbreak is found under 'government surveillance' with his parents. Chen Qiushi, 34, had vanished since February soon after he arrived in Wuhan. He had sent shocking reports revealing the true scale of the city's virus outbreak. The former lawyer is reportedly being held under official surveillance in Qingdao. Nearly eight months after Chen's disappearance, his close friend has reportedly revealed in a YouTube video that the independent reporter is in good health being held under 'supervised surveillance at designated residence' in the eastern Chinese city Qingdao.
22.09.2020. España. Lanzan un libro de fotografías para ayudar a familias de fotoperiodistas fallecidos por la COVID-19. Fotoperiodistas españoles y latinoamericanos ponen en marcha un proyecto solidario para recaudar fondos para las familias de fotoperiodistas fallecidos por la Covid-19. Un total de 24 profesionales se han unido de forma altruista para lanzar el libro Pandemia. Miradas de una tragedia “con el objetivo de crear una memoria documental y visual” sobre la crisis sanitaria sufrida por la Covid-19. Para lograr la edición del libro, se ha lanzado una campaña de financiación, que estará abierta hasta el 21 de diciembre de 2020. Los beneficios de este proyecto fotográfico, en el que participan profesionales de referencia a nivel internacional en el trabajo de documentar hechos y situaciones de gran impacto social, se destinarán íntegramente a ayudar a familias de fotógrafas y fotógrafos que han fallecido mientras cubrían la pandemia en diferentes países del mundo, y que se encuentran en riesgo de exclusión social.
20.09.2020. ECUADOR. El periodista Roberto Efrén Cayambe Guilcapi de Radio Andina de Chimborazo murió el miércoles, 16 de septiembre, tras permanecer hospitalizado durante tres semanas con COVID-19. Durante los últimos 25 años fue periodista y propietario de Radio Andina. La noche del sábado, 19 de spetiembre, falleció tambien en Cuenca el periodista Fabián Merchán, director de la radio La Suprema Estación 96.1. A finales de agosto ingresó al hospital del Instituto Ecuatoriano de Seguridad Social (IESS) y el cuadro se complicó por su contagio del coronavirus. Fabián fundó junto a su padre, Ricardo Merchán, radio 96.1 FM el 7 de diciembre de 1985. Tenía 54 años de edad.
18.09.2020. MORE JOURNALISTS DIED IN INDIA. Actor-journalist Florent C Pereira dies in Chennai due to COVID-19. Tamil actor Florent C Pereira, who was known for playing character roles in films like Kayal and Thodari, died due to Covid-19 in Chennai on September 14. According to reports, Florent tested positive for coronavirus a couple of weeks ago and had been hospitalised ever since. His health deteriorated last week and he succumbed to illness. He was 67. Florent C Pereira worked with Win TV, Kalaignar TV and Vijay TV. Condolences have been pouring in from both the film industry and media.
Another senior journalist Rahul Dolare died of Covid-19 in Aurangabad (Maharashtra). He was 49. His last working stint was with the dialy Dainik Saamana Aurangabad edition. Anil Srivastava (68) died of coronavirus on Friday 18 September in Basti. He was working as a stringer with national news agency United News of India for over the past 20 years and was also the editor of local newspapers Vichar Parakh and Prakash Times.
Journos protest for Covid insurance cover in Maharashtra: on Sept 18, a statewide protest has been organized to press for the demand of including journalists in the Rs 50 lakh government insurance scheme meant for select Covid-19 fatalities as well as for reservation of beds, oxygen and ventilators, according to Marathi Press Council. More than 8000 SMS were sent to Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope. Around 25 journalists have succumbed to the infection so far in the state of Maharashtra.
16.09.2020. BRASIL. Ao menos 31 jornalistas morreram por covid-19 em 2020 (Abraji). Levantamento da Abraji ainda detectou 27 mortes por outros motivos; entre eles, um caso de assassinato, do repórter Léo Veras. Veras é um de ao menos 59 jornalistas mortos em 2020. O único assassinado, segundo levantamento da Associação Brasileira de Jornalismo Investigativo (Abraji), que detectou 31 vítimas fatais do coronavírus entre os profissionais. “Acreditamos que a melhor maneira de homenagear essas pessoas é seguir produzindo bom jornalismo”, afirmou o presidente da entidade, Marcelo Träsel, em homenagem aos colegas de profissão, promovida pelo 15ª Congresso Internacional de Jornalismo Investigativo da Abraji 13 de setembro. Entre os jornalistas homenageados, encontram-se nomes como o de Rodrigo Rodrigues, do SporTV, e Beto Resende, que atuou nos principais jornais de Pernambuco e mantinha o canal do YouTube Dardos e Ideias. Ambos faleceram por covid-19, doença que tomou o mundo em 2020.
15.09.2020. PEC Press Release: Sharp increase in the number of victims of Covid 19 among journalists, the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) appeals to the Human Rights Council // Communiqué de la PEC: Forte augmentation du nombre de victimes du Covid-19 parmi les journalistes – appel au Conseil des droits de l‘homme // Comunicado de prensa de la PEC: Fuerte aumento del número de víctimas del Covid-19 entre los periodistas - llamamiento al Consejo de Derechos Humanos
Read the PEC press release in English, French, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS
12.09.2020. España. Fallece este sábado, 12 de septiembre, el cantautor Joaquín Carbonell por coronavirus, a los 73 años. El también periodista turolense muere después de permanecer 47 días ingresado en el Hospital Universitario de Zaragoza.
12.09.2020. INDIA. Dramatic increase, hundreds of journalists test Covid-19 positive, more than 20 deaths in a month. Now, almost every other day, the country is losing a media person to the coronavirus (photo: television journalist Neelanshu Shukla (aged 30) from Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh).
Journalists have been hit by COVID-19 in Telangana with 822 of them having contracted the deadly virus so far. The state government has released Rs 1.55 crore in financial aid to these journalists. Apart from a large number of recoveries, some journalists have also lost their lives.
Three journalists have died of Covid-19 in Nagpur since Thursday while at least 50 others have been infected with the virus in the city so far. Around 25 journalists from a major newspaper group and almost all reporters of a regional periodical have contracted the disease, officials aware of the matter said. One of journalists who died was from a well-known Marathi daily while two others worked for a news agency and a local cable network, they added. According to the Journalists’ Forum Assam (JFA), the last three media corona casualties were reported within four days and urged every reporter and media person to be cautious while reporting from the ground. A senior journalist from Barak valley Ashim Dutta died of COVID-19 on September 7 at Silchar Medical College Hospital.The 66-year-old journalist worked for a Bengali daily.
A photojournalist, who was working during the COVID induced lockdown, has died due to the virus in Balasore district of Odisha on Monday September 7. Solman Sahu, a photojournalist of EPA, Balasore who passed away on Monday due to coronavirus has been declared as a Corona warrior for his restless service during the lockdown.
Another report surfaced from the Nellore locality of Andhra Pradesh, where journalist Narayanam Seshacharyulu (aged 56) died of Covid-19 on 3 September 2020. Associated with the prestigious Telugu daily Eenadu, Seshacharyulu was hospitalized in Tirupati a few days back after testing positive for the virus infection.
A day back, Pune (Maharashtra) based television reporter Pandurang Raikar (aged 42) succumbed to Covid-complications in an Ahmednagar town hospital. Raikar, who worked for the TV9 news channel, tested positive in the antigen test and was hospitalized. However, his family members alleged that treatment was delayed by the hospital authority.
Earlier, another television journalist Neelanshu Shukla (photo, aged 30) from Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh) died of corona infections. Shukla, who was associated with AajTak, tested positive for Covid-19 a few days back and died on 31 August in the hospital. A bachelor, Shukla also worked for NDTV and Republic TV as a Lucknow correspondent.
A few weeks ago, Maharashtra’s veteran journalist Ashok Churi, who edited the Marathi weekly, PalgharTimes, died at a Palghar based hospital. He was later tested positive for Covid-19. The printer-publisher of Asomiya Khabar (Rantu Das) also died at a Guwahati hospital and tested positive for the virus infection. On the other hand, New Delhi based writer Tarun Sisodia killed himself while undergoing treatment at AIIMS.
Patiala (Punjab) based photojournalist Jai Deep, Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) based television reporter Madhusudan Reddy & video journalist M Parthasarathy, Chennai (Tamil Nadu) based television reporter Ramanathan and Orissa’s journalists namely Simanchal Panda, K Ch Ratnam & Priyadarshi Patnaik, Chennai based news videographer E Velmurugan, Chandigarh based news presenter Davinder Pal Singh, Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh) based television writer Manoj Kumar, Agra (UP) based journalist Pankaj Kulashrestha and Kolkata (West Bengal) based photojournalist Ronny Roy also lost their battles against the virus.
11.09.2020. BRASIL. Mais três vítimas no Brasil. Jornalista Karina Paula Araújo (photo)
morre aos 48 anos vítima da Covid-19. A jornalista atuava na TV Borborema, em Campina Grande,
mas também trabalhou no Jornal da Paraíba, foi professora da Universidade Estadual da Paraíba
(UEPB) e assessora do 4º Batalhão da Polícia Militar. Jornalista Lima Neto morre
vítima de coronavírus na capital. Na noite de quinta-feira (10), morreu o jornalista Lima Neto aos 50 anos,
em Porto Velho. Apresentador de televisão, ele era conhecido na região como "Repórter Cidadão".
O jornalista estava internado na UTI de um hospital público, há aproximadamente 30 dias, fazendo tratamento contra o
Morreu em Curitiba nesse domingo (dia 6) o jornalista Marcelo Motta Vieira, 56 anos. Segundo informações da família,
ele estava há duas semanas internado no Hospital da Cruz Vermelha, em Curitiba, com suspeita de Covid-19.
Ele apresentou sintomas da doença, como falta de ar. Há uma semana, recebeu alta e apresentou sinais de melhora.
No sábado, porém, Marcelo retornou à UTI, com coração e rins afetados. Acabou falecendo nesse domingo.
Marcelo Motta foi colunista de política do Bem Paraná na época em que a publicação ainda era chamada de Jornal do Estado.
10.09.2020. BANGLADESH. A total of 31 journalists died of covid-19. Among them, NTV joint chief news editor Abdus Shahid (photo), also former president of a faction of Dhaka Union of Journalists, died of COVID-19 at a city hospital on Sunday. Shahid was 63. Khulna Press Club former president Wadudur Rahman Panna died with COVID-19 symptoms at a hospital in Khulna on Saturday. He was 72.
03.09.2020. USA. Three more victims among media. John Hamill (photo), Vietnam veteran, one-time Daily News reporter and screenwriter, dead at 71 of coronavirus.
John Hamill, a decorated Vietnam War combat medic, journalist and screenwriter, passed away Tuesday after contracting COVID-19. The death of Hamill came just a month after his older brother, author and newspaper columnist Pete Hamill, died at age 85. John Hamill, a die-hard Mets fan, was retired and living in California when he came down with the virus three weeks ago and never recovered, according to a Facebook post by his sister Kathy.
William R. Neikirk, an award-winning economics and political journalist who spent nearly 35 years with the Chicago Tribune and served as White House correspondent during the Clinton administration, died of coronavirus Aug. 27 at his home in Arlington, Va. He was 82. Mr. Neikirk wrote about politics and economics for the Associated Press before joining the Tribune’s Washington bureau in 1974. He also had stints as Chicago-based associate managing editor of financial news and chief Washington correspondent before retiring in 2008. He was honored for his business and political coverage, including the 1995 White House Correspondents’ Association’s Merriman Smith Award for presidential reporting.
Tom Vint, retired AP sports writer, dies from COVID-19. Tom Vint, who covered the dominant Nebraska football teams of the 1980s and ’90s as an Associated Press sports writer, died in Omaha Wednesday Sept. 2 after a month long battle with COVID-19, his daughter Mandy Troia said. He was 72.
02.09.2020. ECUADOR. El periodista radial Pedro Daniel Sanaguano Llangari (photo), más conocido como el Rey del Mambo, murió por COVID-19 el pasado 29 de agosto, tras permanecer durante dos semanas en una unidad de cuidados intensivos del hospital de la Policía en Guayaquil. Sanaguano nació el 15 de octubre de 1981 en Riobamba (Chimborazo) y durante sus 21 años de vida profesional formó parte de Radio Fantástica, Radio Andina, Radio Turbo, Radio Latina, Radio Ternura y del Periódico Los Andes.
07.07.2020. BANGLADESH. ATN Bangla finance and accounts department senior vice-president Ahsan Habib (photo) died of COVID-19 on Monday night at a hospital in the capital. He was 58. With Ahsan, a total of 12 media professionals, including journalists, have died of COVID-19 while nine others have died with COVID-19 symptoms. Former Feni Press Club president and Feni-based Weekly Hawkers editor Nurul Karim Majumder died with COVID-19 symptoms on Sunday night. He was 68. In his professional life, Nurul Karim worked as the Feni district correspondent of Daily Star and United News of Bangladesh. Weekly Uttamasha editor Khandaker Ekramul Haq also died of COVID-19 at a Dhaka hospital on Sunday. He was 60. According to media houses and journalist organisations, until Sunday 536 journalists and media workers were affected by the coronavirus. Of them, 403 are from Dhaka and 133 from the other parts of the country. They are from 136 national and local media houses, including 80 newspapers, 27 television channels, 22 internet news portals, five radios and one news agency.
01.07.2020. Coronavirus: The toll continues to increase. More than 186 journalists died from Covid-19 in four months in 35 countries // Plus de 186 journalistes sont morts du Covid-19 en quatre mois dans 35 pays // Más de 186 periodistas han muerto por el Covid-19 en cuatro meses en 35 países
Read the PEC press release in English, French, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS
28.06.2020. Bangladesh. Tobibur Rahman Masum (52), chief reporter of Rajshahi-based daily Sonali Sangbad died at the coronavirus unit of Rajshahi Medical College Hospital. Masum was well known in the sports arena and covered the South Asian Games and the Olympic Games several times. He was the president of Rajshahi's Sports Reporters' Council and he conducted regular programmes at Bangladesh Betar. Another journalist dies of Covid-19 in Bogra. Veteran journalist and freedom fighter Md Saiduzzaman Sarker Tara died from Covid-19 on Friday night at the age of 70. Saiduzzaman, a senior member of the Bogra Press club and also executive editor of the Weekly Hatiar newspaper, died while undergoing treatment at Bogra Mohammad Ali Hospital.
08.06.2020. Pakistan. Three persons, including a journalist, died due to coronavirus while four others tested positive in the district. Journalist Sheikh Nadeem had been shifted to Mayo Hospital Lahore from Sheikhupura after testing positive for the virus and he died of the virus.
07.06.2020. Bangladesh. Abdul Monayem Khan, a senior journalist and Cox’s Bazar correspondent of The Financial Express, died of Covid-19 at the Chittagong Medical College Hospital on Sunday. He was 54. A senior member of Cox’s Bazar Journalists’ Union, he also worked for The Daily Star, The New Age and The Daily Sun.
02.06.2020. United States. Virginia A. Frizzi, (photo, 66), of Morningside, Pittsburgh who had been in ill health for several months, died Monday, June 1, 2020 in UPMC Shadyside hospital of complications of covid-19. Ginny Frizzi was a stalwart pillar of the journalism community in Western Pennsylvania. A native of Pittsburgh, Ms. Frizzi began her career in journalism before launching a 25-year career in public relations at Point Park University. But she always kept her hand in the news business as a freelance writer, a mentor to aspiring journalists and as a leader in the region’s professional organizations. She was past president of the Women’s Press Club of Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) and the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania. She served two terms on the SPJ national board of directors.
02.06.2020. Over 127 journalists died from coronavirus in three months in 31 countries - Latin America most affected // Plus de 127 journalistes sont morts du coronavirus en trois mois dans 31 pays - L'Amérique latine région la plus touchée // Más de 127 periodistas murieron por coronavirus en tres meses en 31 países - América Latina, el continente más afectado
Read the PEC press release on PEC NEWS (English, French, Spanish and Arabic)
31.05.2020. Coronavirus. Mexico. Por Información difundida en redes sociales y Medios de Comunicación 13 Periodistas han fallecido diagnosticados por COVID-19. Los periodistas que dieron positivo en el diagnóstico para Coronavirus, fueron contagiados mientras ejercían su labor son: Martha Caballero Colli, quien trabajaba en el Departamento de Comunicación Social del ayuntamiento de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, el 27 de Abril del 2020. Alejandro Cedillo, quien trabajaba en el diario, La Crónica de Hoy en la Ciudad de México el 28 Abr 2020. Miguel Angel Garcia Tapia, quien trabajaba en el Departamento de Comunicación Social del ayuntamiento de Cuernavaca, Morelos, el 01 Mayo 2020. Armando Sánchez Díaz, locutor conocido como “El Gallito de la Radio” murió el 01 Mayo 2020. David Alvarado conocido como ”El Piti” o “El Gama”, Fotógrafo que laboraba en el Diario “Pásala”, el 06 Mayo 2020. Moisés Márquez Villegas; Sub Director editorial del semanario “Infobaja” el 07 de Mayo 2020. Johnatan Gonzalo Arana Chan, quien era camarógrafo y fotógrafo en el Departamento de Comunicación Social del ayuntamiento de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, 08 de Mayo 2020. Jorge Tamez de la Cabada; Periodista y ex Subdirector de Síntesis de la Cámara de Diputados, 13 de Mayo de 2020. Reyes Ramos Rodríguez; Periodista y Locutor de Radio Mexico Noticias, en Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, acaecido el 19 de Mayo de 2020. Carlos Arturo Ramírez Castro “El Pato”, en el Departamento de Comunicación Social del ayuntamiento de Chimalhuacan en el Estado de México, el 26 de Mayo de 2020. Fabiola Bueno Cardiel, encargada de Atención a Medios del Instituto Electoral del Estado de México, el 26 de Mayo de 2020. Ricardo Camacho, Corresponsal del Diario 8 Columnas, el 27 de Mayo de 2020. Carlos Ramírez Castro; Fotógrafo del municipio de Chimalhuacán; 27 de Mayo de 2020 (fuente: Guillermo Espinosa, Capital).
30.05.2020. Coronavirus. Egypt's Press Syndicate records total of 11 coronavirus cases among its members. The press syndicate said the death toll jumped to three after deputy editor-in-chief of the state-owned daily Al-Gomhouriya, Fathi El-Sarawy, passed away on Thursday. Mahmoud Riad, a journalist at Al-Khamis newspaper, died from the virus on 27 April, and on 18 May, journalist Mohy El-Din El-Sayed passed away.
20.05.2020. Coronavirus. Pakistan. Three more Pakistani journalists were killed with Corona Virus while a total 159 were infected so far. According to a PFUJ report, one journalist died in Multan city of South Punjab and two in Sukkur city of interior Sindh province. A total 159 journalists were infected up to 19th May, 2020 out of which 3 killed while 69 recovered. Two Peshawar based journalist brothers along with their 17 family members have been recovered from coronavirus infection. According to details, Senior Reporter Asif Shezad of GNN TV and his brother Wajid Shezad of Such TV had contracted coronavirus infection due to coverage of cases, facilities at quarantines centers besides burial of the dead.
18.05.2020. Coronavirus. Egypt. Another Egyptian journalist died from coronavirus. Egyptian journalist Mohy El-Din Al-Sayed Said died on Monday after contracting the coronavirus, becoming the country's second journalist to die from the disease, Egypt’s Press Syndicate said. Three other journalists have tested positive for the virus, however they are in a stable condition. Two other journalists have fully recovered from the virus. On 24 April, Egyptian journalist Mahmoud Riad died after contracting the deadly virus.
14.05.2020. Coronavirus en Perú: Periodista falleció luego de dar positivo a covid-19. A través de las redes sociales, se confirmó el fallecimiento de una periodista de Agencia Andina por coronavirus (covid-19). Se trata de Azucena Romani Tafur, quien se dedicó a esta labor hace más de treinta años. Los familiares de la periodista revelaron que contrajo la enfermedad mientras cumplía con sus labores en el mundo de la prensa.
13.05.2020. Coronavirus. United States/Guatemala. Muere periodista guatemalteco Nestor Hernández, contagiado por coronavirus en EE.UU. El Periodista Néstor Hernández Marroquín, de 56 años, quien trabajó en Prensa Libre, murió hoy en el estado de New Jersey, Estados Unidos, contagiado por el coronavirus Covid-19, cuando realizaba labores humanitarias en ese lugar. Según se estableció por familiares del comunicador, Néstor era voluntario en la repartición de alimentos, aparte de ser free lance deportivo en la MLS y escritor de baseball en Canadá. El comunicador laboró en Guatemala en los años 90 en Prensa Libre y tuvo que salir exiliado para Canadá por la persecución en el tiempo de la guerrilla.
12.05.2020. Coronavirus. Russia. Five journalists die in Russia after contracting coronavirus. MOSCOW, May 12. /TASS/. Five journalists have died in Russia from coronavirus-related causes, while around 200 media professionals have fallen ill after contracting the virus, head of the Russian Union of Journalists Vladimir Solovyov said Tuesday. "We are all in a very difficult situation. Journalists even more so because they are on the frontlines of fighting the virus just like doctors. Unfortunately, there are losses already — reports were revealed recently <…> we have five [journalists who died] and 200 infected," Solovyov noted.
10.05.2020. Coronavirus. United States. Ron Hutson, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist for his work about race relations, has died from COVID-19 complications at the age of 72, The Boston Globe has announced. Hutson, a former Globe reporter, won journalism’s top prize in 1975 as part of the newspaper’s coverage of court-ordered school desegregation. He also edited a series about race issues in Boston that was also awarded a Pulitzer in 1984, the newspaper reported.
10.05.2020. Coronavirus. Cameroun. Le journaliste Simon Mexanga est mort à 54 ans des suites du Covid-19. C’est le premier journaliste camerounais à décéder du coronavirus.
09.05.2020. Periodistas y COVID en América Latina: ya murieron más de 70 trabajadores de prensa. Se han registrado fallecimientos por coronavirus de periodistas y trabajadores de medios y junto con nuestras organizaciones afiliadas en la región, instamos a las autoridades y empleadores a hacer cumplir y acatar los protocolos sanitarios para evitar más contagios. La Oficina Regional para América Latina y el Caribe de la Federación Internacional de Periodistas recibe periódicamente, a través de sus afiliados en la región, partes sobre el estado de los trabajadores del sector en el contexto del COVID-19. Hasta la fecha, hemos recibido una preocupante cantidad de contagios y una lamentable nómina de fallecidos a causa de la enfermedad. Por eso, porque el periodismo es una profesión que se ejerce en la calle y al servicio de la comunidad que necesita información sobre la pandemia, exigimos a las autoridades de cada país garantizar los insumos de protección y el cumplimiento de los protocolos sanitarios para que todos los trabajadores tengan y sepan cómo cuidarse durante su labores. Lamentamos comunicar la siguiente nómina de fallecidos y manifestamos nuestra solidaridad para con sus familiares y colegas. Desde FIP trabajamos para capacitar sobre protocolos y medidas de prevención e instamos a los responsables institucionales a cumplir con los procedimientos establecidos por la Organización Mundial de la Salud para minimizar los efectos del Coronavirus en la población. México: 5 - República Dominicana: 3 - Perú: 7 - Ecuador: 55 - Brasil: 4 - Colombia: 1.
08.05.2020. Coronavirus. Canada. Joyce Davidson-Susskind, a longtime broadcaster and television personality who worked with the likes of “60 Minutes” correspondent Mike Wallace and married television talk-show host and producer David Susskind, has died in Toronto of Covid-related illness. Davidson, who was born in Saskatoon, Sask. in 1931, died on May 7 at age 89 at Meighen Manor, where at least 38 residents have died during the outbreak. She had a decades-long career.
07.05.2020. Coronavirus. United Kingdom. Journalist who served weekly for decades dies of coronavirus aged 87. A journalist whose career with a weekly newspaper spanned almost half a century has died from coronavirus aged 87. Tributes have been paid to Graham Fulton, who worked his way up from apprentice monotype operator at the Perthshire Advertiser to become its regular football reporter.
07.05.2020. Coronavirus. United Kingdom. Catherine Waring died on May 3 at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital aged 48. The Worcester-born writer worked her way up from trainee reporter with the Shrewsbury Chronicle in the early 1990s to become a sub-editor for the Shropshire Star and its weekly sister papers. She also spent time with the Hereford Journal and freelancing for a paper in Welshpool.
07.05.2020. Coronavirus. India. Journalist Dies Of COVID-19 in Agra. A senior journalist, Pankaj Kulshrestha, from Uttar Pradesh who had tested positive for coronavirus died on Tuesday in Agra. A journalist took to Twitter to share the sad news of Kulshrestha's death. Pankaj Kulshrestha worked with a prominent Hindi daily as a deputy news editor. It's probably the first case of a journalist’s death due to coronavirus in India. On April 21, 26 employees of a Tamil news channel based in Chennai tested positive for the coronavirus. The previous day, over 50 journalists from Mumbai were found infected, after samples of over 170 journalists were tested.
07.05.2020. Coronavirus. How does the PEC count journalists who died from coronavirus ? Interview of the PEC Secretary-General Blaise Lempen published by the Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN): COVID-19’s Toll on Journalists: At Least 64 Dead in 24 Countries
(read the GIJN article on PEC NEWS)
04.05.2020. Coronavirus. Pakistan. As many as 40 journalists have tested coronavirus positive in the country, said a government official on Monday. Three of them have fallen victim to it, he added. Mohsin Naqvi, the owner of the 24 News, confirmed that more than 30 members of his staff including journalists contracted the virus. "We have decided to close down the head office from Monday onwards till further notice. We have moved all necessary operations to some other place to keep our screen up. Nearly 90 per cent of our staff will be working from home,” Naqvi said in a tweet.
04.05.2020. Coronavirus. Ecuador. Three more journalists have been killed by the virus. Among the 12 victims are Olmedo Mendez, Victor Hugo Pena, Angel Sanchez, Manuel Varas, Paul Tobar, Carlos Loor, Omar Paredes, Luis Alberto Flores, Roberto Roman, Augusto Iturburu, Omar Salvatierra and Rosendo Escobar Cardenas. All were journalists on the front lines in Guayaquil as the death toll drastically rose. “Most of the journalists are believed to have been infected while working. But you cannot be sure," said Cesar Ricaurte, the CEO of Fundamedios, a non-governmental organisation promoting press freedom across the Americas. Agusto Iturburu was a sports journalist with the El Telegrafo newspaper in Guayaquil. Large sporting events were held in late February and early March as the virus began to take hold in the country. Iturburu was covering those sports events and did not - like most local journalists in the area - use personal protective equipment (PPE). Agusto died of COVID-19 in mid-April after being hospitalised for weeks.
03.05.2020. Coronavirus. Italia. La morte di Stefano Montomoli, giornalista vittima del Coronavirus. Aveva 69 anni. Stefano Montomoli, ex-direttore di Radio Siena, è morto all’ospedale Le Scotte di Siena dove era stato ricoverato circa un mese fa dopo essere stato trovato positivo al Coronavirus.
03.05.2020. Coronavirus UNITED STATES. Ashraf Sheikh died of Covid-19 in New Jersey on May 2, was 73 years old. Sheikh was a prolific writer. As a Pakistani journalist, he created a magazine and wrote extensively about politics. As a poet, he wrote about his eldest son, who died in 1992. On the side, he wrote books.
02.05.2020. Coronavirus. Pakistan. Muhammad Anwar, a crime reporter at Daily Khabrain, died of COVID-19 in Sukkur on Thursday. According to journalist Riaz Mengal, Anwar was diagnosed with coronavirus a few days ago. He is the first journalist in Sindh to die of the virus. Around 40 journalists and media workers have tested positive for COVID-19 in Pakistan. Earlier this week, senior journalist Zafar Rasheed Bhatti, died after a three-week battle with coronavirus in Rawalpindi.
02.05.2020. Coronavirus. Brasil. A Universidade do Estado do Rio Grande do Norte (UERN) lamenta profundamente o falecimento do jornalista e radialista Emery Jussier Costa (photo), ocorrido nesta sexta-feira, 1 de maio. Ingressou no jornal “O Mossoroense”, sendo colunista respeitado por vários anos. Chegou a prestar serviços ao Diário de Natal e ao Diário do Nordeste, de Fortaleza. No final da carreira, atuou em programa na “TV Mossoró”, ao lado de Laíre Rosado.
World Press Freedom Day 2020 - Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse 2020 - Día Mundial de la Libertad de Prensa 2020 - Dia Mundial da Liberdade de Imprensa 2020
29.04.2020. Coronavirus. Bangladesh. A journalist has died in Dhaka, with symptoms of Covid-19 infection - fever, cough, and shortness of breath. He was 46 years old. Humayun Kabir Khokon, city editor of Bangla newspaper Daily Shomoyer Alo, breathed his last at the Regent Hospital in Uttara on Tuesday night. He is the first journalist in Bangladesh who have passed away with Covid-19 symptoms.
28.04.2020. Coronavirus. Mexico. La periodista Martha Caballero Collí tenía 43 años al momento de morir en un hospital del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS) debido a una insuficiencia respiratoria aguda y neumonía viral, provocada por COVID-19. En una ultima declaración de la periodista, Martha Caballero responsabilizaba a su jefe por exponerla a ella y al equipo durante la contingencia sanitaria a causa de la pandemia de coronavirus. La reportera trabajaba en la Dirección de Comunicación Social de Solidaridad, en Quintana Roo. Martha trabajó en varios medios de comunicación, como Quequi y Diario de Quintana Roo; también fungió como directora de Comunicación Social de Isla Mujeres.
28.04.2020. Coronavirus. Pakistan. Senior journalist Zafar Bhatti dies due to coronavirus. Former president of the Associated Press Of Pakistan’s employees’ union and senior journalist Zafar Rasheed Bhatti passed away in Islamabad due to the coronavirus on Monday, a press release by the news organisation said. Bhatti had joined APP in 1984 before working in various news organisations, including Nawa-i-Waqt and Pakistan Press International, it said.
27.04.2020. Coronavirus. Egypt. Journalist Mahmoud Riad Abujabal, the head of Sports desk at EL Khamis online portal, died from the new coronavirus COVID-19 on Monday afternoon. Riad Abujabal is the first journalist who died of the virus in Egypt. Three weeks ago, he and his family were tested positive for the disease and quarantined in al-Agoza hospital, in Giza.
27.04.2020. Coronavirus. Brasil. Repórter morreu de coronavírus. O jornalista esportivo, Alfredo Menezes, de 72 anos, morreu nesta segunda-feira (27), em São Luís, com covid-19. Ele estava internado no Hospital Carlos Macieira, mas foi liberado ao apresentar melhoras. Nesta segunda, porém, ele acordou com falta de ar e morreu por volta das 9h30. O jornalista foi durante 30 anos editor de esporte do jornal O Estado do Maranhão.
26.04.2020. Coronavirus. United Kingdom. Former presenter of BBC Radio 4's Farming Today Richard Sanders dies, aged 62, after catching coronavirus in hospital. Mr Sanders worked on the popular programme, which is aired every weekday and on Saturdays, for more than a decade from 1988.
26.04.2020. Coronavirus. República Dominicana. Mercedes Castillo, presidenta del Colegio Dominicano de periodistas, reveló que la prensa dominicana ha sido bastante afectada por la pandemia del coronavirus, con el deceso de tres de estos profesionales. “El periodismo nacional ha perdido tres miembros, Pedro Fernández de San Francisco de Macorís, Ramón Lora relacionista por muchos años del CODIA, y el periodista y escritor René Rodríguez Soriano que residía en Miami pero que falleció en Texas, Estados Unidos", lamentó la presidenta del CDP. Agregó que hay dos periodistas internos que son Bienvenido Calderón, quien estuvo en terapia intensiva y ahora está en una sala normal afectado por COVID-19, y el periodista Manuel Ruiz que se está recuperando en Nueva York de la misma enfermedad. También se encuentran en recuperación los periodistas Roberto Gerónimo, Quique Sosa de Bonao, Carmen Ramírez quien reside en España, igual dijo de otros profesionales que tienen afecciones pulmonares pero que han dado negativo a la prueba del coronavirus, en tanto otros comunicadores han perdido parientes víctimas de la terrible pandemia.
25.04.2020. Coronavirus. Brasil. O jornalista e radialista amazonense conhecido como 'Repórter Furacão', Roberto Augusto dos Santos, morreu na madrugada deste sábado (25) em Manaus, vítima de coronavírus. Ele havia sido internado na quinta-feira, já com complicações, e tinha fibrose nos pulmões. A Assembleia Legislativa do Amazonas (Aleam) lamentou, através de uma nota, o falecimento: "Profissional exemplar, dedicado, amigo de todos, que por mais de 20 anos serviu o Parlamento amazonense".
25.04.2020. Coronavirus. Sweden. Gunnar Seijbold (65) a Swedish press photographer died on 25 April after suffering from Covid-19. He had been ill for a month and spent the last week in hospital. During his career he worked for several newspapers, including Expressen, Dagens Nyheter, and Aftonbladet. He also worked in the capacity of photographer for the Swedish government and worked as the official European Union photographer.
24.04.2020. Coronavirus. Japan. Actress and TV host Kumiko Okae died from pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus on Thursday. She was 63. Okae (photo) made her acting debut in 1975. In addition to dramas, she appeared on entertainment shows, including NHK’s “Renso Game.” She also hosted Tokyo Broadcasting System Television Inc.’s “Hanamaru Market” morning information show from 1996 to 2014.
24.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Brasil. O apresentador Roberto Fernandes, de 61 anos, jornalista da TV Mirante, afiliada da Globo no Maranhão, faleceu na última terça-feira (21) em decorrência do coronavírus. O jornalista teve passagens pela Rádio São Luís AM, TV Brasil e Rádio Educadora AM e na Rádio Mirante AM. Ele chegou a atuar como comentarista esportivo do SporTV em jogos do Sampaio Corrêa e era apresentador de política do programa Bom Dia Mirante.
21.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Spain. Muere el periodista José María Calleja (photo) por coronavirus. Calleja (León, 1955) comenzó su carrera informativa a principios de los ochenta en la delegación de la Agencia Efe en el País Vasco, desde donde pasó a Euskal Telebista (ETB), coincidiendo con una de las etapas más sangrientas de la historia de ETA. Señalado como objetivo de la banda contó durante años con protección de escolta, y con el libro “Arriba, Euskadi, la vida diaria en el País Vasco” ganó el Premio Espasa de Ensayo en 2001. En los últimos años, era profesor de la Universidad Carlos III de Madrid y colaboraba en varios medios de comunicación, como la Cadena Ser y eldiario.es.
21.04.2020. Coronavirus. United States. Robert Fresco, a reporter who worked on many of Newsday’s investigations, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning story about Baby Jane Doe, died on his 78th birthday of complications of COVID-19.
20.04.2020. Coronavirus. United Kingdom. Well-respected former Clitheroe journalist dies of coronavirus aged 67. Brian Hood (photo) began his career on the Clitheroe Advertiser and also worked on Blackpool daily The Gazette before moving to Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post. He later spent time on the Wall Street Journal and freelanced for most of the Fleet Street papers. Between 1993 and his retirement in 2018 he worked on London’s Evening Standard, where he served as a sub-editor and later production editor on its business pages.
16.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Venezuela/United States. La periodista venezolana radicada en Miami Mariahé Pabón (photo) perdió la batalla contra el coronavirus. Falleció el miércoles 15 de abril, en un hospital de Miami donde estuvo conectada a un respirador. Era una periodista querida y admirada en Venezuela. Entrevisto a artistas, deportistas y políticos. Nacida el 20 de enero en 1930, en Colombia, Pabón tenía una trayectoria notable como periodista. Durante años destacó como columnista y reportera en medios como El Nacional, El Universal y El Mundo; ejerció como directora de la afamada revista Estampas y fundó el diario Meridiano.
15.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Sweden. Swedish TV and radio personality Adam Alsing (photo, 51) died from the Covid-19. “It is with great sadness and tremendous lack that we are forced to announce that our beloved Adam is no longer with us. After a couple of weeks of fighting against covid-19, Adam passed away on Wednesday,” said Alsing's relatives. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins friends and colleagues mourning his passing.
14.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Brasil. A surcusal de jornalismo do Sistema Brasileiro de Televisao (SBT), corre o risco de ser interditada por ter se tornado foco de proliferação do novo coronavírus. Na última segunda-feira (13), o editor de imagens José Augusto Nascimento Silva, de 57 anos, morreu vítima da Covid-19, após ser internado no Hospital Badim, na Barra da Tijuca. De acordo com a Associação Brasileira de Imprensa (ABI), estima-se que dos 75 profissionais que trabalham na emissora, 35 estejam infectados. Além da morte do editor, um cinegrafista do SBT Rio estaria internado em estado grave com Covid-19.
14.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Ecuador. Un total de 23 organizaciones que agrupan a periodistas ecuatorianos dieron a conocer una carta abierta, en la que reclaman a las autoridades protección a su integridad física, para poder realizar su labor en el contexto de la actual pandemia. El documento informa, además, que al menos nueve trabajadores de los medios de comunicación han fallecido por causa de la covid-19. Se registra, hasta este lunes, 16 profesionales de la comunicación contagiados y 18 en aislamiento. Los comunicadores ecuatorianos señalaron que la falta de garantías para el ejercicio periodístico en el marco de la pandemia, afecta el acceso del pueblo a la información.
13.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. United States. Well-known sports photographer Anthony Causi died Sunday from the coronavirus at the age of 48.
Causi captured photos of New York City sports teams for the New York Post in a career that spanned over 25 years. The Post reported Causi’s death yesterday and honored him today with a back cover that reads: “Our Eyes, Our Heart. And Our City’s Loss.”
11.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Austria. Hannes Schopf (photo) died on Good Friday at the age of 72. The former press spokesman for the Association of Austrian Newspapers (VÖZ) and former editor-in-chief of "Furche" died of the coronavirus. He was infected during a ski vacation in Ischgl. VÖZ and the Association of Catholic Publicists were deeply affected by Schopf's demise.
10.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Belgique. Le monde du cinéma et de la télévision perd l'un de ses plus formidables ingénieurs du son. Marc Engels (photo), qui a notamment officié en tant que preneur de son pour Le Bureau des légendes, a été emporté par la maladie Covid-19, à l'âge de 54 ans. La nouvelle de son décès a été rapportée sur Twitter par Eric Rochant, le créateur de la série phare de Canal+.
10.04.2020. Coronavirus. IRAN. Ali Behzad, a prominent Iranian journalist, died of COVID-19 after fighting the illness for 45 days. He was 66 years old. The veteran journalist began his career at the Kayhan newspaper in 1977. Behzad worked at the paper’s culture desk for 17 years. After leaving Kayhan, Behzad worked as the public relations manager of Behrouz, a large food industry company for 20 years. He wrote several books including the popular, Pioneers of Food Industries.
08.04.2020. Coronavirus. United States. ABC News is mourning the loss of Good Morning America studio camera operator Tony Greer, who died due to complications from the novel coronavirus. GMA co-host Robin Roberts announced his death on air Wednesday. She said that Greer worked on the morning show for more than six years.
03.04.2020. Coronavirus. United States. Anick Jesdanun, 51, deputy technology editor for The Associated Press, died in New York City on Thursday of coronavirus-related complications. For more than two decades, Jesdanun helped generations of readers understand the emerging internet and its impact on the world. Jesdanun, a Pittsburgh native who grew up in New Jersey, worked in AP bureaus in Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Washington before moving to New York.
03.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Russia. A 36-year-old Russian journalist died from the coronavirus
on March 31, authorities said on Thursday two days after her passing, drawing criticism for
allegedly withholding the news. Anastasia Petrova (photo), chief editor of the Delovoy Interes
business weekly in the city of Perm (1,400 kilometres east of Moscow), was hospitalized with
pneumonia on March 24. Regional health authorities reportedly said that Petrova’s coronavirus
diagnosis had not been confirmed until after her death Tuesday.
03.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. La Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC) lamenta profundamente el deceso de seis periodistas latinoamericanos victimas de coronavirus. La Fundación Andina para la Observación y Estudios de Medios (Fundamedios) informó que cuatro periodistas murieron y 14 permanecen aislados en la provincia de Guayas, suroeste de Ecuador, tras presentar síntomas del Covid-19. Tres de los cuatro periodistas fallecidos se sometieron a una prueba para detectar el coronavirus, pero solo se confirmó tras su muerte, algo que está ocurriendo en muchos de los casos en Guayas, la provincia más afectada, con más del 70 % de los 2.748 contagios confirmados en el país. Dos periodistas murieron en República Dominicana del Covide-19. La mayoría de comunicadores afectados habían realizado su trabajo en exteriores o entrevistado a personas contagiadas, sin contar con medidas de seguridad especiales.
02.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Peru. Muere el primer periodista a causa del Covid-19 en Lima. El Colegio de Periodistas de Lima informo miercoles 1 de abril el fallecimiento de Ricardo Gutierrez Aparicio a causa del coronavirus. Lamentamos la partida de un colega y expresamos ademas las mas sentidas condolencias a sus familiares.
02.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) signed the appeal of Antonio Guterres: "The fury of the virus illustrates the folly of war" and supports his call for an immediate global ceasefire. Here is the Secretary-General statement:
“Our world faces a common enemy: COVID-19. The virus does not care about ethnicity or nationality, faction or faith. It attacks all, relentlessly. Meanwhile, armed conflict rages on around the world. The most vulnerable — women and children, people with disabilities, the marginalized and the displaced — pay the highest price. They are also at the highest risk of suffering devastating losses from COVID-19. Let’s not forget that in war-ravaged countries, health systems have collapsed. Health professionals, already few in number, have often been targeted. Refugees and others displaced by violent conflict are doubly vulnerable. The fury of the virus illustrates the folly of war. End the sickness of war and fight the disease that is ravaging our world. That is why today, I am calling for an immediate global ceasefire in all corners of the world. It is time to put armed conflict on lockdown and focus together on the true fight of our lives. To warring parties, I say: Pull back from hostilities. Put aside mistrust and animosity. Silence the guns; stop the artillery; end the airstrikes. This is crucial…To help create corridors for life-saving aid.
01.04.2020. CORONAVIRUS. United States. A Bangladeshi photojournalist has died from coronavirus infection in New York (United States). A Hai Swapan breathed his last at Queens Hospital on Monday night. Swapan worked for Bangladeshi newspaper Daily Manabzamin.
31.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Brasil. O jornalista Lauro Freitas Filho, de 61 anos, morreu no sábado, 28, no Rio de Janeiro, com sintomas da Covid-19. Editor-chefe do jornal “Monitor Mercantil”, Lauro Freitas Filho estava trabalhando na sua casa, acatando o isolamento social prescrito pelo governo do Rio.
31.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. United States. The US news industry is mourning the death of a veteran CBS News journalist who died as a result of the coronavirus. Maria Mercader, who worked at CBS News for more than three decades, died at a New York hospital at age 54, according to CBS. "Even more than her talents as a journalist, we will miss her indomitable spirit," said Susan Zirinsky, CBS News president and senior executive producer. Throughout her career, Mercader covered major news events such as the 9/11 attacks and Princess Diana's death. In 2004, she won a Business Emmy for her work on CBS Sunday Morning.
29.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Zimbabwe. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is sad to learn the death of a prominent journalist killed by the coronavirus. The Zimbabwean broadcaster Zororo Makamba (photo, 30) died from the virus. Famous for his online social and political commentary, under the banner "State of the Nation", his death achieved an unwanted milestone. He was the country's first coronavirus casualty and it shocked Zimbabwe. Family members have argued that his death has exposed the inadequacies of the country's medical response to the threat of coronavirus.
29.03.2020. Coronavirus. Italy. Morto a Bergamo Raffaele Masto: lo storico giornalista di Radio Popolare aveva 66 anni. Raccontava guerre e crisi umanitarie. Era noto per aver raccontato trent’anni di storia ed eventi dell’Africa. Lavorava nella redazione esteri di Radio Popolare ed era seguitissimo sul suo blog “Buon giorno Africa”.
28.03.2020. Coronavirus. Maroc. Le monde des médias est en deuil au Maroc. La journaliste Laila Tarzaim est décédée vendredi à l’hôpital Moulay Abdellah de Salé, des suites d’une infection au coronavirus. Elle avait 38 ans. La défunte a occupé les postes d’Office Manager de Medi 1 Rabat et d’assistante du PDG de la chaîne entre 2012 et 2016.
28.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. United States. Alan Finder, an unflappable eye in the storm of daily newspapering, reported on or oversaw coverage of New York City government, education, urban affairs, sports and international news during nearly three decades at The New York Times. He died on Tuesday at 72 at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, N.J.
27.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Le Togo a enregistré vendredi 27 mars son premier décès lié au Covid-19. Il s’agit du journaliste Dominique Aliziou dont la mort a été annoncée par la famille du défunt. Selon togobreakingnews, le directeur de publication du journal Chronique de la semaine avait séjourné récemment en Europe et testé positif au Coronavirus.
25.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. Iran. Iranian men bury the journalist Abdollah Zavieh, who passed away due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19), at Behesht Zahra cemetery in Tehran, Iran, March 24, 2020 (photo).
20.03.2020. CORONAVIRUS. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomed the joint statement issued by David Kaye, UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression, Harlem Désir, OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, and Edison Lanza, IACHR Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression calling on governments to promote and protect access to and free flow of information during COVID-19 pandemic.
Read the statement on PEC NEWS
26.02.2020. PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) in Geneva mourns the death of two journalists in Pakistan. Javedullah Khan, 36, was shot dead Tuesday in Matta, in the Swat Valley (northwest of the country) when two gunmen opened fire on his vehicle. He worked as a bureau chief for the Urdu language newspaper Ausaf. A local police official confirmed that it was a targeted attack. Many of his relatives were killed due to their involvement in anti-Taliban peace committees. It is the second journalist killed this year in Pakistan after Aziz Memon (photo) , who worked for the privately-owned Sindhi TV channel KTN News and Sindhi-language Daily Kawish. He was found strangled to death in an irrigation ditch near the town of Mehrabpur (Sindh) on 16 February. The PEC condemns these murders and calls for independent investigations. Pakistan ranks among the world’s most dangerous countries for media workers.
Trabajaba como locutora de radio en La Poderosa, en Ciudad Juárez, una de las ciudades fronterizas entre México y Estados Unidos con alta presencia del crimen organizado. Recientemente se habia manifestado, desde sus redes sociales, en contra del asesinato de Fatima, femicidio que por sus resonancias aun conmueve a gran parte del pais. El PEC exige a las autoridades que garanticen el pronto esclarecimiento de lo ocurrido y la condena a los responsables. Es la primera periodista asesinada este año en México. El año pasado, 14 periodistas fueron asesinados en México.
16.02.2020. SOMALIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is sad to learn the heinous murder of journalist Abdiweli Ali Hassan (photo) in Agfoye, south of Mogadishu. The reporter was working with Universal TV. He was attacked by two unidentified gunmen who shot him in the head. The killing of the journalist is the first in Somalia in 2020. Last year, three media workers were killed in Somalia, one of the most dangerous countries for media. The PEC calls on local authorities to investigate this crime, bring its perpetrators to justice and to better ensure the safety of journalists who informs the public at great risk.
13.02.2020. PARAGUAY. Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condena el asesinato del periodista brasileño Lourenço Leo Veras (photo) encargado del portal web Pora News y corresponsal de varios medios brasileños en Pedro Juan Caballero en la frontera con Brasil. El PEC exhorta a las autoridades a realizar una investigación completa y exige proteccion de los colegas de la zona ante la inseguridad reinante.
06.02.2020. SYRIA. Media activist killed in Idlib. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the killing of Amjad Aktalati (photo), on February 4 in Ariha in Idlib countryside by Russian airstrikes. The brave media activist worked for several media outlets, according to the Syrian Network for Human Rights. Amjad's last post on Facebook was "The situation is so catastrophic." This killing reminds us that the war in Syria is still raging. According to the United Nations, Russian-Assad offensive against opposition-held areas in Syria has displaced more than half a million people in two months, since 1 December, 80% women and children. In another incident, two journalists and two cameramen were injured on 3 February while covering the clashes near Aleppo city between the Syrian army and arned groups: reporter Diaa Qadour and Ibrahim Kahil, cameraman for al-Alam TV, Kinanah Aloush, a correspondent for Sama TV and Souhaib al-Masri cameraman of Al Kawthar TV. In a separate incident, Wafa Shabruni, a reporter working for Russia Today, was severely injured by ammunitions left by militants at Maarret-en-Nuuman in the province of Idlib. The PEC demands that the safety of journalists be guaranteed by all the belligerents.
In May 2018, the Ukrainian security services raided the office of RIA Novosti Ukraina and arrested Vyshinsky on charges of high treason. In July 2018, he was presented with additional charges and his pre-trial detention was extended several times. The PEC recalls that journalists should not under any circumstances be imprisoned for their journalistic work and must have the right to freely express opinions and dissenting views, even those that could be considered controversial.
Kashmir has nearly 180 English and Urdu daily newspapers, but only five are publishing these days due to restrictions imposed by Indian authorities to prevent unrest after New Delhi revoked the state’s autonomy.
Following a six-month investigation, the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary killings issued her findings into the killing last October of Mr Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. "His killing was the result of elaborate planning involving extensive coordination and significant human and financial resources. It was overseen, planned and endorsed by high-level officials. It was premeditated", the report said. "The killing of Mr Khashoggi constitutes an international crime over which other States should claim universal jurisdiction. I call on those States to take the necessary measures to establish their competence to exercise jurisdiction under international law over this crime of extrajudicial execution,” Callamard said. The Special Rapporteur also determined that there was credible evidence, warranting further investigation of high-level Saudi officials’ individual liability, including that of the Crown Prince. Callamard called on the Human Rights Council, the Security Council or the UN Secretary-General to conduct an international follow-up criminal investigation for the purpose of determining individual liability and identifying options towards judicial accountability. The PEC fully agrees with the statement of Agnes Callamard and asks States to follow her recommendations.
The PEC condemns the aggression against the reporters and urges Mexican authorities to bring the responsible of this crime to justice and ensure the safety of journalists. Reynaldo López is already the third journalist to be murdered in Mexico this year, following the killing of radio host Jesús Ramos Rodríguez in Tabasco a week ago and the assassination of community radio director Rafael Murúa in Baja California in January. Mexico was the most dangerous country for journalists in 2018 with Afghanistan.
In a decade, from 2009 to 2018, the final figure is 1225 journalists and media workers killed, 122 per year, on average 2,34 per week.
read the updated PEC press release on PEC NEWS
Non à l'impunité. L’UNESCO lance l’Observatoire des journalistes assassinés, qui répertorie les mesures prises pour punir les crimes commis contre les professionnels des médias - la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) se félicite de cette initiative en espérant qu'elle aidera à combattre l'impunité. Lien avec l'Observatoire sur notre page NO IMPUNITY
The first explosion happened at around 6pm Kabul time, targeting a wrestling gym in Qala-e-Nazer area in Kabul’s PD6, while the second explosion was a car bombing that according to officials left at least 20 people dead and more than 70 others wounded, Tolonews said. According to the ToloNews, Farmarz had been reporting live from the scene of the first explosion - just minutes before the explosion happened. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombings but sympathizers of the Islamic State (Daesh) claimed to have been behind April attack in Kabul which claimed lives of nine journalists.
read the PEC press release English, French, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS
On the same day, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled that Turkey had acted illegally in detaining two journalists despite the Supreme Court issuing an order for their release. Mehmet Atlan and Sahin Alpay were two of hundreds of journalists arrested on tenuous terror charges after the July 2016 failed coup attempt. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the first ECHR verdict on the situation facing journalists in Turkey and urges Ankara to reverse conviction of Turkish journalists. The ECHR noted that "there is a general problem in Turkey concerning the interpretation of anti-terrorism laws," and agreed with the plaintiffs that "dealing with matters of public interest" did not constitute incitement to violence.
Shamshad TV is Afghanistan’s major Pashto-language station. This attack highlights the risks facing journalists, who are increasingly targets in the war-torn country. This is the second deadly attack on media organizations in Afghanistan in 2017. On May 17, six people including four employees of the RTA state broadcaster were killed in an ISIS raid in Jalalabad.
(Photo: a screen grab of Parwiz Sapy, a Shamshad TV news anchor who was wounded by shattered glass in the attack. Shamshad TV stopped broadcasting during the attack but resumed a few hours later)
09.10.2017. VENEZUELA. La Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC, por sus siglas en inglés) se muestra satisfecha por la liberación, este lunes por la mañana, de tres periodistas detenidos el sábado pasado en Venezuela. Se trata de Filippo Rossi (27), un periodista suizo independiente de Lugano y quien trabaja para el diario milanés, Il Giornale. El segundo liberado es el italiano, Roberto Di Matteo, quien también trabaja para el mismo diario. Y el último profesional que recobró su libertad es Jesús Medina, colaborador del sitio web DolarToday, opuesto al gobierno. Según el Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de la Prensa (SNTP), los tres periodistas fueron acusados de poseer dispositivos de registro electrónicos no autorizados durante una investigación efectuada en la penitenciaría de Tocorón, en el estado de Aragua. Esta prisión está ubicada a unos cien kilómetros al suroeste de la capital, Caracas.
Los tres periodistas fueron arrestados por la Guardia Nacional Venezolana. Una foto que los mostraba desde atrás, aparentemente esposados y vigilados por dos soldados, fue transmitida por el SNTP y su caso fue conocido mundialmente. Representantes sindicales y abogados pudieron reunirse con los detenidos antes de que fueran liberados.
Lankesh (photo, 55), a respected veteran journalist and outspoken critic of Hindu nationalists, was shot dead outside her home in Rajarajeshwarinagar in northern Bengaluru, Karnataka, as she returned from work and as she entered through the gate of her home. Lankesh died at the scene after receiving gunshots to the head and chest. Lankesh edited and published a Kannada-language weekly newspaper Gauri Lankesh Patrike and wrote in the English media.
Christopher Allen (photo, 26), a US freelance reporter and photographer who had written for various outlets, was embedded with rebel forces when fighting broke out. He was killed in a firefight between government forces and rebels near the Ugandan border. The warring sides have given conflicting accounts of his death and whether he was wearing a press vest when he died.
30.07.2017. TURKEY. A Turkish court ordered the release of seven suspects in the trial of 17 journalists and executives from the opposition newspaper Cumhuriyet on Friday 28 July. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the decision and calls on the Turkish authorities to release all other journalists currently imprisoned. The next hearing is listed for 11 September. The trial, which began on Monday 24 July, involved 17 Cumhuriyet journalists and executives wrongfully accused of secretly supporting the PKK – a militant Kurdish organisation and FETO, the group allegedly responsible for last year’s failed coup. The PEC condemned a politically motivated effort to criminalize journalism. The 7 released journalists and executives are Musa Kart, Bülent Utku, Turan Günay, Önder Çelik, Kemal Güngör, Hakan Karasinir and Güray Öz. Following Friday’s decision, journalists Kadri Gürsel, Ahmet Şık, Akin Atalay, Murat Sabuncu and teacher Ahmet Kemal Aydogdu will remain in prison. Arrest warrants for Can Dündar and Ilhan Tanir remained in place.
“Despite the demand to shut down Al Jazeera, all our journalists carried on doing their job. We have stood firm on the quality of our journalism. Demands were made to shut down Aljazeera so let’s make a demand ourselves: on behalf of all journalists we demand that journalists be allowed to do their job without threat or intimidation”, said Giles Trendle (photo), Aljazeera English Managing Director & Director of Programmes (Read the full PEC interview on PEC NEWS)
25.06.2017. DON'T MISS UNESCO MEETING IN GENEVA 29 JUNE. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) attends the Multi-Stakeholder Consultation on Strengthening the Implementation of the UN Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity. The consultation brings together key stakeholders to take stock of developments in the area of safety of journalists and the issue of impunity, within the context of the first five years of implementation of the UN Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity. For more information on the Multi-Stakeholder Consultation, please find here the concept note. You will find also here:
- The draft report that details the key achievements, challenges and lessons learnt from the implementation to date of the UN Plan.
- The list of draft recommendations, which has been drafted in the light of the submissions received from stakeholders within the framework of a global consultation. This document constitutes the primary object of discussion at the Multi-Stakeholder Consultation the 29 June 2017.
22.06.2017. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins a coalition of freedom of expression and journalists’ organisations urging all 57 OSCE participating States to urgently appoint a new Representative on Freedom of the Media. The former mandate holder, Dunja Mijatović, left Office on 10 March 2017. She has done remarkable work documenting the violations in the whole region and she intervened successfully several times. Dunja was awarded by the PEC Prize in Geneva in June 2015 (photo). There has been no announcement of her successor. Continued failure to appoint a successor will weaken protections for freedom of the media across the OSCE region, at a time when media organisations are under critical attack. Here is the letter to the members of the Permanent Council of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), calling for the appointment of a new Representative on Freedom of the Media without delay, to ensure the Office’s achievements over the last two decades are not lost.
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses its condolences to the families of French journalist Stephan Villeneuve (photo) and Iraqi Kurdish journalist Bakhtiar Haddad killed by an explosive device while they were covering Iraqi operations in the Ras Al-Jadah district of Mosul, in northern Iraq, on Monday. Villeneuve was a very experienced reporter who had covered wars all over the world. Véronique Robert, another French reporter was badly injured by the same explosion. She, Villeneuve and Haddad were all on assignment in Mosul for the France 2 TV channel’s programme Envoyé Spécial. They were accompanying Iraqi army forces in areas held by Islamic State in the old town. Iraq is one of the world's deadliest countries for journalists. Sixteen journalists were killed last year in Iraq and now five since the beginning of this year. PEC warned of the high risks for journalists in the battle of Mosul several times.
Photographe indépendant collaborant notamment au Monde et au Wall Street Journal, Mathias Depardon a été arrêté le 8 mai alors qu'il réalisait un reportage pour le magazine National Geographic sur le déplacement d'un tombeau médieval menacé d'inondation à Hasankyef, dans la province de Batman, au sud-est du pays. Il était soupçonné de «propagande terroriste» pour des photos de militantes du Parti des travailleurs du Kurdistan (PKK) publiées dans des médias français et sur les réseaux sociaux. Par deux fois, le président farnçais Emmanuel Macron a discuté de sa situation avec le président turc Recep Tayyip Erdogan. La mobilisation, notamment grâce aux efforts de RSF, a payé. "C'est un bon signe, mais 165 autres journalistes sont détenus en Turquie. Il faut continuer à se mobiliser", a affirmé à Genève le secrétaire général de la PEC Blaise Lempen. La PEC avait consacré son prix annuel à la liberté de la presse en Turquie le 1er juin et avait demandé à cette occasion la libération, entre autres journalistes emprisonnés, de Mathias Depardon. "Je pense que l’idée était d’envoyer un message assez fort auprès des journalistes étrangers et turcs qui ont pour but de faire des sujets dans le sud-est de la Turquie", a estimé le journaliste après son expulsion de Turquie et son retour en France. Les régions kurdes du sud-est, ainsi que les abords de la frontière avec la Syrie, sont des zones où les journalistes ne sont pas bienvenus.
"Turkish journalists are being punished for telling the truth, for saying things those in power do not want to hear. In fact there are 169 Turkish journalists behind bars making Turkey the world's most vicious prosecutor of journalists", he added.
The index is based on a six-month period and is published twice a year, to coincide with World Press Freedom Day on 3 May and the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists on 2 November.
Read more on the official website, where you will find the concept note and more information about the event,
Read the survey of the Global Investigative Journalism Network: Looking for a Suicidal Job? Try Iraqi War Reporter: http://urlz.fr/4PSq
144 صحفياً وصحفية قُتِلوا فى 2016
(read the IFJ press release on our page NO IMPUNITY)
In YEMEN, on Saturday the 8th October the Saudi -led coalition have carried out a series of devastating airstrikes on a funeral procession in the capital of Yemen that killed more than 140, and over 500 people were injured including cameraman Hashim Al-Shami of Al-Masirah Satellite Television. Since the War on Yemen began more than 15 journalists have been killed, and eight media outlasts were deliberately destroyed. The PEC requests that all parties fully implement the international law on safety of journalists working in war zones; which include the UN Security Council adopted resolution 1738, the UN Human Rights Council Resolutions on the Safety of Journalists, the UN Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity. The PEC regrets that the Human Rights Council has not decided at its last session to undertake an international investigation into the violations committed by all parties in Yemen including against journalists, media worker, and media outlasts.
06.09.2016. SYRIA: ONE MORE JOURNALIST KILLED IN ALEPPO. Shamel Al Ahmed (photo) was one of the Aleppo Media Center founders. He passed away on 2 September in an hospital in Gaziantep after a struggle with his wounds being hit with a barrel bomb in Aleppo two weeks ago along with his wife who passed away four days ago. He was well known with his good moral and a bright smile. He captured with his camera, horror and poetry of a city guilty only of wanting to be free, to be against the dictatorial regime of Assad, against the terror of his bombs, of those of its allies.
18.08.2016. BURUNDI: journalist Jean Bigirimana missing for four weeks. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) asks the United Nations to investigate the disappearance of the Burundian journalist Jean Bigirimana (photo) missing for four weeks. Bigirimana, a reporter with the independent weekly newspaper Iwacu, left his home in the capital Bujumbura on July 22. He has not been seen or heard from since. The worst is feared: Iwacu's editor in Burundi has issued a cry for help after two bodies were found during a search for his missing journalist. There are more than 100 Burundian journalists in exile, and the very last media houses have been facing extraordinary pressures and threats for over a year now. Instead of helping the search being conducted by the Iwacu team, the police tried to obstruct it.
28.07.2016. TURKEY. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC ) joins the solidarity campaign launched by the European and International Federation of Journalists (EFJ/IFJ) with the Turkish journalists following the new attacks on press freedom and human rights in Turkey since the coup attempt on 15 July. We invite PEC partners to help the Turkish colleagues by:
- sending a letter to the Turkish ambassador in your country and/or your national government (sample letters enclosed)
- signing and sharing the Amnesty International petition “Rights hard-won cannot be taken away”, calling on President Erdogan to uphold human rights in Turkey
- sharing in your social media and website the visual “Did you know? Journalism is not a crime” #JournalismIsNotACrime
The EFJ and the IFJ are also monitoring the situation regarding detained/arrested journalists and press freedom violations since 15 July. A list of detained journalists is available here and all the alerts submitted to the Council of Europe platform for the protection of journalism and the safety of journalists, here.
The Islamic State group has reportedly released a video that shows five media activists from Syria being executed according to an Associated Press (AP) report. "The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights received a copy of a video issued by the 'Islamic state' in Deir Ezzor, where it showed 5 media activists from Deir Ezzor province," the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said in a post on its verified Facebook page. It gave the name of the five as Samer Mohamad al-Aboud, Mahmoud Shaaban al-Haj Kheder, Mohamad Abdulkader al-Essa, Mostafa Haj Hasa and SOHR activist Sami Jodat al-Rabah.
"The first one was executed by cutting his throat with a knife, the second activist was executed by tying him to his laptop then tying his laptop to explosives and detonating it inside his house," said SOHR in the post. It went on to add that "the third activist was executed by tying him to a metal door and choking him using an iron chain, the fourth one was executed by slaughtering him using a sharp object". It also said: "And the last activist was executed by hanging his camera to his neck and detonating it after tying him it to the balcony of his house". The post also said the activists had been executed on charges of "acting against the Islamic state, communicating with outside parties and receiving funds, and other charges." The AP report quoted the SOHR as saying that Isis had abducted the five activists in October last year and executed them in December. The PEC adds their names to its casualties' list just today because we heard the news only now.
The PEC pays tribute to the courage of those who continue to inform us despite the barbarity of such acts.
Receiving the PEC award at the Swiss Press Club in Geneva
(here with the PEC Secretary-General Blaise Lempen), Zhanna
Nemtsova said : "I strongly believe in free journalism (...)
Unfortunately we now in Russia don't only have independent
media. We have propaganda. My father put it this way "
Russian propaganda is a weapon of mass destruction of
people's brains". It breeds hatred towards the so-called
enemies, the West, and to opponents of the regime within the
country and leads to aggressive behavior. Finally it aims at
destroying people 's ability of critical thinking. Russian state-
controlled media present a very simple picture of the world
where there are only two colors: black and white".
Gilkey, 50, was an award-winning journalist who had extensive experience covering conflicts in Gaza, South Africa, Iraq, the Balkans and Afghanistan. Tamanna was a freelance journalist who worked for NPR as well as the NBC News and Turkey’s Anadolu News Agency. He had also worked with Chinese news agency Xinhua as a photojournalist. So far, 10 media workers have been killed in Afghanistan this year, a very heavy toll.
The prominent Azerbaijani investigative journalist has been released on probation after her detention was widely criticised by activists. Khadija Ismayilova was arrested in December 2014 and sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in jail in September last year. She was freed by the country’s supreme court on Wednesday 25 May after judges ruled her sentence would be changed to a three-and-a-half-year suspended term. Speaking after she left court (photo), Ismayilova said she would persist with her reporting and push for a full acquittal. “I will continue my journalist work with renewed energy,” she said. “I feel younger and more energetic, and I will fight until the end.”
SYRIA. GOOD NEWS ! THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES THE RELEASE OF THREE SPANISH JOURNALISTS AFTER ALMOST A YEAR IN CAPTIVITY. Reports suggested they had been kidnapped by al-Nusra Front. They arrived in Madrid on Sunday 8 May and were received by friends and family (photo). The trio were flown on a Spanish defence ministry jet from Turkey. A statement from the spanish prime minister's office said that "allied and friendly" countries had helped to secure the journalists' release, highlighting the role of Turkey and Qatar which had provided assistance "especially in the final phase".
BUENA NOTICIA. PEC se felicita por la liberación de tres periodistas españoles Antonio Pampliega, José Manuel López y Ángel Sastre, secuestrados en Alepo, al norte de Siria, en julio del año pasado. Los reporteros, a quienes se perdió la pista el 12 de julio de 2015, llevaban cubriendo la guerra en Siria desde su estallido en 2011. Pampliega y López han publicado en la prensa española amplios reportajes narrando el drama de los civiles sirios.
“In the space of two hours we have experienced two assassination attempts: one was done with a gun, the other was judicial,” said Can Dündar, speaking in front of the court after the verdict was announced Friday, May 6. “The [jail sentences] we received are not just to silence us. The bullet was not just to silence us. This was done to all of us, to scare us into silence, to make us stop talking", he added, according to reports. Dündar, editor-in-chief of Turkish daily Cumhuriyet, and fellow journalist Erdem Gül, its Ankara bureau chief, were acquitted on charges of trying to overthrow the government, but convicted of publishing secret state documents. Dündar was sentenced to five years and 10 months in prison and Gül to five years. “This is a verdict against journalism and we don’t accept it,” said Gül. The verdict came on a dramatic day in which an attacker fired several shots in quick succession at Dündar, who was unharmed. NTV television reported that one of its reporters had suffered minor injuries from ricocheting bullets. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the verdict and the attack against the journalists and urges the court of appeal to acknowldege that Dündar and Gül were only doing their job.
World Press Freedom Day 2016 - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the killing of 40 journalists since the beginning of 2016 and is launching a new index to rate countries according to their safety for journalists
Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse 2016 - La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) condamne le meurtre de 40 journalistes depuis le début de l'année et lance un nouvel indice sur la sécurité des journalistes
Día Mundial de la Libertad de la Prensa en 2016 - La PEC condena el asesinato de 40 periodistas desde comienzos del año y lanza un nuevo índice sobre la seguridad de los periodistas
READ THE PEC PRESS RELEASE ENGLISH, FRENCH, SPANISH AND ARABIC ON PEC NEWS
The Egypt's Press Syndicate has called on members to continue a round-the-clock sit-in at the HQ (photo) until Wednesday's general assembly. The interior ministry said in a statement Monday, May 2 that it followed all legal procedures while carrying out the arrests. The two journalists are accused of "inciting violation of the protest law, disrupting security and attempting to destabilise the country," the ministry added. Amr Badr, editor-in-chief and founder of Yanair (January) news portal, and journalist Mahmoud El-Sakka, who works for the same website, were staging a sit-in in the syndicate to protest against their arrest warrants as well as the storming of their homes by security forces last month. Syndicate head Yehia Qallash and other journalists said the ministry's move was a clear violation of Egyptian press law.
"Today Turkey seized one of the country's leading newspapers. In so doing, Turkey has confirmed that it is no longer committed to a free press, which is the bedrock of any democratic society. We, the undersigned, ask the court to reverse its decision to seize Zaman and urge the international community to speak out against Turkey's repeated attempts to stifle a free and independent media."
MARCH 2016. SYRIA. PEC condemns artillery attacks in Syria wounding foreign journalists on press tour. A group of 33 foreign journalists have been targeted in an attack in the northern Syrian province of Latakia. The group was on a trip organized by Russian officials. Journalists from China, Bulgaria and Canada suffered minor injuries in the incident. The incident took place near the border town of Kessab, on March 1, when eight shells were fired in total. The shells have landed some 150-400 meters from the journalists, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said. The Syrian army is blaming the al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front for the attack, but there is no confirmation from an independent source.
Mexico continúa la cuenta de periodistas asesinados. El cadáver de Anabel Flores Salazar, secuestrada por un comando armado en su casa en Veracruz, ha sido hallado al borde de una carretera del Estado de Puebla. En El Sol de Orizaba había trabajado como colaboradora los últimos seis meses. La especialidad de Flores era la información sobre crímenes. La periodista tenía 32 años y era madre de un bebé recién nacido y de otro niño de cuatro años.
JANUARY 2016. TURKEY. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins other organizations to protest again the indictment of a Turkish prosecutor demanding on 27/01/2016 during a court hearing in Istanbul “aggravated life imprisonment and imprisonment up to 30 years” for Can Dündar and Erdem Gül, two journalists working for the daily Cumhuriyet in Turkey. Can Dündar, editor in chief of Cumhuriyet and Erdem Gül, the newspaper’s bureau chief in Ankara have been accused of aiding a terrorist organisation and disclosure of classified documents, which showed that Turkey’s intelligence agency secretly armed rebel Islamist groups in Syria. The two journalists are arrested since 26 November 2015 and detained in Silivri detention camp. Together with a coalition of press freedom groups, the PEC calls on authorities in Turkey to immediately release Dündar and Gül and drop all charges against them. They only work for the public interest.
MEXICO. PEC condemns the murder of two journalists in Oaxaca state. Marcos Hernández Bautista, a 38-year-old correspondent for the news organization Noticias Voz e Imagen of Oaxaca, was shot in the head while getting into his car on the night of Jan 21, in San Andrés Huaxpaltepec in the Costa Region of Oaxaca state. Marcos had expressed fear because in some publications he had touched on political interests and those interests of chiefs in the region. Also in Oaxaca, Reynel Martínez Cerqueda, a host at community radio station "Manantial" of Santiago Laollaga, was killed on Jan. 22. Three journalists were found murdered in Oaxaca last year. Abel Manuel Bautista Raymundo, founder and director of Radio Espacio 96.1 FM, was killed on April 14, 2015. The body of Veracruz radio journalist Armando Saldaña Morales was found in the state on May 4. And radio journalist Filadelfo Sánchez Sarmiento was killed outside his office at La Favorita 103.3 FM on July 2.
YEMEN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) demands the immediate release of three Aljazeera Arabic news staff believed to have been kidnapped in the city of Taiz in southern Yemen. According to Al Jazeera, its Arabic correspondent, Hamdi Al-Bokari and his crew, journalist Abdulaziz Al-Sabri and driver Moneer Al-Sabai, were last seen on January 18. The team was covering events in the besieged city of Taiz, which is controlled by Yemeni forces and armed groups loyal to Yemeni president and is surrounded by rebels forces. The PEC joins calls on warrying parties in Yemen to do their utmost to protect media professional’s safety on the ground. The abduction comes just days after Yemeni journalist Almigdad Mojalli was killed on 17 January in an air raid by the Saudi-led coalition in the capital, Sana’a.
Al Jazeera channel’s Arabic correspondent Hamdi Al-Bokari and his crew, journalist Abdulaziz Al-Sabri and driver Moneer Al-Sabai, have been released, the Qatari cable news network said January 28. The PEC welcomes the safe return of the TV crew.
The Venezuelan journalist was a strong supporter of the governments of Hugo Chavez and Nicolas Maduro. Ricardo Duran was killed outside his home Wednesday 20 January in Caracas. His work colleague, Daniel Aponte, told VTV, “They did not take anything from Ricardo Duran, not his wallet, nor money, nor his cell phone, nor his side arm, not even his car.” PEC calls for a thorough investigation.
AFGHANISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns the barbaric attack on Afghan TV channel TOLO in Kabul. Seven employees of popular Afghan TV channel TOLO were killed Wednesday 20 January when a Taliban car bomber rammed into their minibus in Kabul, just months after the militants declared the network a legitimate "military target". At least 25 other people were wounded in the first major attack on an Afghan media organisation since the Taliban were ousted from power in 2001. The deadly assault spotlights the growing dangers faced by media workers in Afghanistan, as the security situation worsens amid a growing wave of militant attacks. The PEC is shocked and saddened by this outrage and demands that those responsible are arrested and brought to justice.
PEC press release on PEC NEWS (English and Arabic)
La PEC pleure la mort de la photographe franco-marocaine Leila Alaoui.
IRAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the release of the US-Iranian journalist Jason Rezaian (photo) as part of a prisoner exchange after spending 543 days in detention.
The Washington Post’s Tehran bureau chief was one of four American-Iranian prisoners who were released in exchange for seven Iranians held in US custody on Saturday 16 January. Washington Post publisher, Frederick Ryan released a statement welcoming the announcement, saying: “We couldn’t be happier to hear the news that Jason Rezaian has been released from Evin Prison". His newspaper said that the journalist had been subjected to physical and psychological mistreatment during his detention. He was accused of spying for US government officials before he was eventually convicted of espionage in October and sentenced to jail.
PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns as an attack against press freedom a grenade attack on the Islamabad offices of Pakistani broadcaster ARY News 13 January. A video editor was wounded. Daesh Afghanistan claimed responsibility for the attack in pamphlets thrown outside the office, according to reports. Copies of the pamphlets warned the broadcaster about its coverage of the Pakistani military offensive against militants in the North Waziristan tribal region. PEC condemns intimidation of journalists by terrorist groups anywhere in the world. Media are independent and not part of the military institution. More on:
Israel. Break the silence. Hunger-striking Palestinian journalist's health failing
JANUARY 2016. PEC update: 135 journalists killed in 2015 in 33 countries - risks very high in 2016
DECEMBER 2015. SOMALIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is horrified and strongly condemns the attempted murder in Mogadishu of Omar Faruk Osman, Secretary general of the National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ). Omar Faruk is a supporter of the PEC since the launch of our ONG in 2004 and we frequently joined our efforts during the sessions of the Human Rights Council in Geneva. According to reports, Osman was entering 29 December the union’s office in the Taleh area in Mogadishu when his car was sprayed with bullets by gunmen and he only owed his life to the quick thinking of his body guards, one of them was wounded in the attack as well two pedestrians (photo nusoj/ifj: Omar Faruk speaking at the HRC session in Geneva) (read the PEC press release English and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
ONE MORE SYRIAN JOURNALIST KILLED IN TURKEY. The PEC condemns the murder of Syrian journalist and filmmaker Naji Jerf gunned down in Gaziantep, in Turkey near the Syrian border. Editor-in-chief of the monthy Hentah and the maker of documentary films on the group Islamic State, he was killed 27 December by unknown assaillants in front of a building that houses Syrian opposion news outlets in Gaziantep. The PEC calls on Turkish authorities to sep up measures to protect all Syrian journalists on Turkish soil.
Naji Jerf, 38, was shot with a silenced pistol in downtown Gaziantep, near the Syrian border, Turkish media reported. Mr Jerf was the film director for Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently (RBSS), a group of journalists who risk their lives daily to report on IS abuses. It is the second murder of a member of the group in December, after Ahmad Mohammed al-Mousa was killed in Idlib, in Syria. Mr Jerf directed two recent documentaries about the group - one about the killing of Syrian activists in Aleppo, the other about the work of RBSS. As well as his work with RBSS, Mr Jerf was editor-in-chief of Hentah, a Syrian magazine that reports on the "daily lives of Syrian citizens", according to the publication's website.
Somalia ranks 5th with 42 killed, then Brazil 36 and the Philippines 34.
NOVEMBER 2015. Speech delivered by PEC Secretary-General Blaise Lempen at a reception by the Association of correspondents to the United Nations in Geneva (26/11): "The war in Syria has cost the lives of many colleagues. It has been allowed to deteriorate and we harvest bitter fruits in Europe (...) // "On a laissé pourrir la guerre en Syrie qui a coûté la vie à beaucoup de collègues. On en récolte aujourd'hui les fruits amers en Europe (...) (read the full speech on PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2015: BURUNDI - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the murder of a TV cameraman and his family in Bujumbura. At least seven people were killed in shootings and a grenade attack on Tuesday 13 October in Burundi's capital, police and residents said, in a further spate of violence following the election of President Pierre Nkurunziza to a third term. Residents of the Ngagara neighbourhood - a stronghold for opposition supporters - said two police officers and a television cameraman and his family were among the dead. Residents identified the cameraman as Christophe Nkezabahizi who worked with state-run RTNB radio and television station, who they said was shot dead along with his wife and two children.
- ISRAEL-PALESTINE - 39 attacks against journalists in 10 days. PEC concerned about excessive use of force, urges calm and restraint (read on PEC NEWS)
- The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes new security information sharing, training, insurance and communications initiatives launched on Safety Principles - Sotloff Foundation and four U.S. television networks sign on (read on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2015. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL 30th session. Statement delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign - PEC mira con profunda preocupación la situación de violencia contra profesionales de periodismo en América Latina (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS and an interview with Dario Cervantes, PEC Rep at the UN)
- EGYPT. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the release of al-Jazeera journalists Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed following a presidential pardon. The journalists were facing a retrial on the charge of aiding the Muslim Brotherhood but has been pardoned among 100 prisoners by Egyptian president El Sisi - The PEC has repeatedly called for a presidential pardon for the release of the two journalists and thanks Egyptian president, even it is late - international solidarity paid (23/09)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. 30th session. TWO STATEMENTS DELIVERED BY THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN:: interactive dialogue with of the Commission of inquiry on Syria: "the dimension of the conflict has changed, it is time to act" - item 4 situations that require the Council's attention: "more than 100 journalists killed from the outset of the year"(21/09) (read the PEC statements on PEC NEWS)
Assange, Manning and Snowden, "traitors" or heroes of our time? The public can respond by mounting a fourth chair intentionally left empty. "Art has the power to make things happen. The chair has a double meaning. It may be comfortable, but it can also be a pedestal to grow, to have a better perspective, to learn. All three of them mounted on a chair with courage at their own risk and peril ", said Davide Dormino.
- The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the release of Syrian human rights activist and journalist Mazen Darwish after spending more than three years in prison in Syria. Mazen Darwish received the PEC award in absentia in Geneva in June 2012.
Darwish is still facing trial and is due to attend a court hearing later this month. He was jailed for reporting on the government's crackdown on protesters in the early days of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.
The PEC heartily congratulates his wife Yara Badr and his family members and calls on the Syrian regime to drop all remaining charges against Mazen Darwish.
Jose Manuel Lopez, Angel Sastre, and Antonio Pampliega, are missing in Syria since July 13
IRAQ/SYRIA. THE PEC IS APPALLED BY THE CONTINUED DRAMATIC SITUATION FOR MEDIA: FOUR FOREIGN JOURNALISTS MISSING - TWO MORE JOURNALISTS KILLED IN MOSUL BY THE GROUP ISLAMIC STATE - TWO MEDIA ACTIVISTS working for Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently (RBSS), one of the few remaining independent news sources in the province, killed according to a video of ISIS (see Casualties, read on PEC news)
READ OUR PEC biennial report: 7 percent increase in the number of journalists killed in 6 months // Rapport de la PEC : hausse de 7% du nombre de journalistes tués en six mois // Informe del PEC: aumenta un 7% en el número de periodistas asesinados en seis meses // تقرير حملة الشارة: 7 بالمائة زيادة فى مقتل الصحفيين من يناير ليونيو //Организация The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) зарегистрировала увеличение числа убитых журналистов в мире на 7 %. По данным PEC, с января по июнь в 24 странах был убит 71 журналист. При этом, Украина в списке занимает 7 место по количеству погибших сотрудников СМИ © Центр журналистских расследований
(Read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS, English, French, Spanish, Arabic and Russian, list of victims on our page CASUALTIES)
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) has registered a 7 percent increase in the number of journalists killed from January to June in 24 countries, the number has gone up to 71 journalists killed. This increase is related to the intense fighting in Middle East.
Countries with the highest casualties are as follows: France 8, Libya 8, Iraq 6, South Sudan 6, Yemen 6, Mexico 4, Ukraine 4, Brazil 3, Honduras 3, Guatemala 3, the Philippines 3, Colombia 2, India 2, Pakistan 2, Syria 2. One journalist was killed in each of the following countries: Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominican Republic, Gaza, Indonesia, Kenya, Paraguay, Poland, and Somalia.
- JUNE 2015. GAZA: Statement delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) at the HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 29th session - on the report of the Commission of Inquiry on Gaza: the PEC urges both sides to carry out swift, credible and independent investigations (full statement on PEC NEWS)
The Press Emblem Campaign expresses at the Human Rights Council its disappointement that on 12 June, an Israeli military tribunal has closed the case involving the killing by Israeli shelling of four children in Gaza in July 2014 without any further legal proceedings – criminal or disciplinary – to be taken against those involved in the incident. Journalists were direct witnesses of the attack on a beach in Gaza City on 16 July 2014. Four young Palestinian boys were killed (Credit Tyler Hicks, The New York Times).
- MAROC: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) soutient le combat du journaliste marocain Ali Lmrabet et demande aux autorités marocaines de régulariser sa situation
Ali Lmrabet (photo) a commencé le 24 juin une grève de la faim devant le siège de l'ONU à Genève parce que le Maroc refuse de lui renouveler ses papiers. "Je suis un journaliste indépendant et c'est ce qui dérange", a-t-il expliqué. Le journaliste a l'intention de relancer ses journaux satiriques au Maroc, mais ne peut le faire sans certificat de résidence. NOUVEAU: Ali Lmrabet a cessé sa grève de la faim le 28 juillet après avoir reçu des assurances du ministère marocain de l'Intérieur qu'il pourra renouveler son passeport et obtenir un certificat de résidence dans son pays. La PEC est soulagée et félicite Ali Lmrabet pour sa ténacité (pec)
- YEMEN. Statement delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) at the HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 29th session: The PEC is very concerned that the space for free journalism is decreasing because of tensions in the whole region (read the full PEC statement on PEC NEWS, english and arabic)
- SYRIA. Statement delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) at the HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 29th session: Fewer journalists are covering the war - The Commission of Inquiry reports are more necessary than ever to prevent victims are forgotten. PEC hopes that impunity will not prevail and that a tribunal will in the near future judge all those responsible for crimes and atrocities committed (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
"The continuing war represents a profound failure of diplomacy (...) While upholding the need for a political solution, some States have deepened their military involvment, accentuating the internationalisation of the conflict", said in his statement, the chair of the Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic Paulo Sergio Pinheiro (here with Carla del Ponte, member of the COI). "The absence of decisive action by the community of States, as a whole, has nourished a now deeply entrenched culture of impunity", stressed the chair.
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 29th session: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the first report of the new UN Rapporteur on freedom of expression David Kaye, calls for an independent expert on freedom of the press (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- AZERBAIJAN: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the release of journalist Emin Huseynov who had been sheltering for 10 months at the Swiss Embassy in Baku, deplores that seven journalists remain behind the bars (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Switzerland has flown out of Azerbaijan the opposition journalist Emin Huseynov (photo) who had been sheltering for 10 months at its embassy in Baku, a day after the inaugural European Games opened in the tightly-controlled country. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the arrival in Switzerland of the opposition journalist and congratulates the swiss diplomats for their successful efforts, but deplores that seven other journalists remain behind the bars on the basis of fabricated charges.
- UKRAINE - The PEC AWARD 2015 honors the fallen journalists in Ukraine - Le prix PEC 2015 honore les journalistes tués en Ukraine (PEC statement on PEC NEWS English, French, Ukrainian and Russian - click left on our special page PEC AWARD for speeches, photos and more)
The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatovic (photo) was the guest speaker at the PEC event June 4 in Geneva attended by more than 40 diplomats, journalists, NGOs representatives. "The media freedom situation in Ukraine is very complex. The main media freedom issue in this conflict is journalists'safety; journalists are being threatened, intimidated and attacked just for doing their job", stressed Ms Mijatovic.
"False and misleading information must be countered and fought with truthful and factual information, that must be the basis encountering and addressing propaganda", she added. Ms Mijatovic called to fight propaganda and incitment to hostility or violence.
At the Swiss Press Club during the award ceremony on Thursday 4 June, from left to right: PEC Secretary-General Blaise Lempen, OSCE Representative for freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatovic, Liudmyla Zlobina, Executive Director Information Press Center in Kiev, and the Mayor of Geneva, Esther Alder (photo pec) // de gauche à droite pendant la cérémonie au Club suisse de la presse jeudi 4 juin: le secrétaire général de la PEC Blaise Lempen, la représentante de l'OSCE pour la liberté des médias Dunja Mijatovic, la directrice de l'Information Press Center à Kiev Liudmyla Zlobina et la maire de Genève, Esther Alder (photo pec)
- UNITED NATIONS. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the unanimous adoption of resolution 2222 on the protection of journalists in conflict situations by the UN Security Council (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS, text of the resolution on DOCUMENTS)
- YEMEN: PEC calls for an enquiry on the killing of two more journalists - kidnapped by Houthis and bombed by the coalition (read on OTHER NEWS)
- BRAZIL: The Press Emblem Campaign shocked. Brazilian reporter Evany José Metzker investigating drug-dealing and child prostitution case found decapitated (read reports on OTHER NEWS)
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) demanded that the crime be investigated rigorously and quickly. Violence against professional journalists is growing all over Brazil. The investigative reporter Evany Jose Metzker (photo) was found decapitated in the town of Padre Paraiso, in Minas Gerais state, authorities said May 19. Metzker, 67, wrote an investigative reporting blog called Coruja do Vale, which published news of crime and corruption, along with critical articles about politicians in the Valle del Jequitinhonha region, a poor rural area of northeast Minas Gerais.
- SYRIA: PEC deeply concerned by the enforced disappearance of Mazen Darwish, Hani Al-Zaitani and Hussain Ghrer, respectively President and members of the Syrian Centre for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM), who are arbitrarily detained since February 2012, and have been unaccounted for since May 3, 2015 - Mazen Darwish was awarded the PEC Prize in June 2012 and on May 3, 2015 the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize (read on OTHER NEWS)
- PEC welcomes the JOINT DECLARATION ON FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION AND RESPONSES TO CONFLICT SITUATIONS adopted by the United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Opinion and Expression, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Representative on Freedom of the Media, the Organization of American States (OAS) Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR) Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and Access to Information (read on OTHER NEWS)
- World Press Freedom Day 2015 - PEC alarmed: the safety of journalists in many countries has deteriorated // Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse 2015 - La PEC alarmée : détérioration des conditions de la sécurité des journalistes dans plusieurs pays // Día mundial de la libertad de prensa 2015 - La PEC alarmada: deterioro de las condiciones de seguridad de los periodistas en numerosos países (read the PEC statement English, French, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
Since the beginning of the year, in 4 months, 53 journalists were killed in 20 countries against 41 during the same period last year, an increase of 29% - more than 3 journalists killed a week, a very worrying trend, according to the PEC figures.
- LIBYA: PEC is deeply shocked by the discovery of the bodies of four libyan journalists and one egyptian photographer - Libya has become the most dangerous country this year (read on PEC NEWS)
- YEMEN: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns an air strike targeting the TV station Yemen Today in Sana'a which killed one journalist and three staff members (read reports on OTHER NEWS)
- The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes UNESCO’s Executive Board meeting clear message: Improving the safety for all journalists (read the UNESCO statement on OTHER NEWS)
- UKRAINE: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns the murder of prominent Ukrainian journalist Oles Buzina shot dead in Kiev (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
The PEC stressed that whatever the motivations are journalists must be spared from being targeted because of political rivalries.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko ordered "a quick and transparent" investigation into the murders of a pro-Russian journalist Oles Buzina (photo) and an ex-lawmaker loyal to ousted President Viktor Yanukovich. "Their nature and political import are clear - this is a deliberate act, which plays into the hands of our enemies," his press service quoted him as saying in an online statement.
- YEMEN: Norwegian journalist missing after arrest - PEC calls for his immediate release (read on OTHER NEWS)
- The press Emblem Campaign (PEC) denounces the cyberattack on TV5 Monde that paralyzed its network, as a new and very worrying form of attacks by terrorists groups against the freedom of the press - still many questions (read reports on OTHER NEWS)
- The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) congratulates heartily Christian Campiche for his election as president of Impressum, the Swiss Syndicate of Journalists. Christian is a member of the PEC board since many years // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) félicite chaleureusement Christian Campiche pour son élection comme président d’Impressum, le syndicat des journalistes suisses. Christian est membre du comité directeur de la PEC depuis plusieurs années (read on PEC NEWS)
It is a great day for the PEC when one of its executive committee members and a very dedicated member becomes president of IMPRESSUM which assembles 6000 Swiss journalists. PEC president Hedayat Abdel Nabi noted that being elected president of IMPRESSUM is well deserved for Christian Campiche (photo). PEC Secretary-General Blaise Lempen stressed that IMPRESSUM has supported the PEC since the Geneva based NGO was created in 2004. The PEC wishes him a great tenure as president.
- The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins the PRESS UNCUFFED Campaign to free 221 imprisoned journalists
#PressUncuffed is a campaign started by University of Maryland journalism students to raise money to free imprisoned journalists by selling bracelets bearing their names - JOIN THE CAMPAIGN (read the press release on OTHER NEWS)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 28th session: statement delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign on item 8: The PEC is deeply concerned that some States have done nothing to implement the resolution on safety of journalists (A/HRC/27/L7) adopted last September (read the statement on PEC NEWS)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 28th session: statement delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign on item 7: Last year was the worst and the deadliest year in the history of Palestine media (read the statement on PEC NEWS)
On the occasion of the 28th session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) urged Member States to act to protect media workers. The PEC has delivered four oral statements: on the situation of journalists in Syria and in Palestine, on "Charlie Hebdo" and other terrorists attacks and on other situations that requires the Council's attention (read the PEC statements on PEC NEWS)
- "La démocratie à l’ère numérique": Surveillance numérique, respect des libertés, droit à l’oubli sur Google, révolutions Facebook, affaire Snowden, autant de sujets abordés par le secrétaire général de la PEC Blaise Lempen dans Le Grand Entretien diffusé par la Radio suisse. Ecouter l’interview: http://urlz.fr/1Ka1
- YEMEN: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the killing of top Yemeni Journalist Abdul Kareem Al-Khaiwani in Sanaa (read the story on OTHER NEWS)
One of Yemen's top journalists and activists close to the country's dominant Houthi militia, Abdul Kareem al-Khaiwani, has been killed, the group's official television channel al-Maseerah said. The son al-Khewani, who is also a respected writer, said a pair of armed men riding on a motorbike opened fire and gunned down his father as he came out of his home on Wednesday morning.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, though Sunni Muslim al Qaeda militants have claimed several previous attacks on the Shi'ite Houthis, whom it regards as heretics. Khaiwani's editorials were once the scourge of Yemen's veteran autocrat, former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 28th session - PEC statement delivered on situations that require the Council's attention - PEC requires the Human Rights Council to send a very strong message to all criminals that there would be no impunity for perpetrators of crimes against the freedom of expression (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA'S CONFLICT enters its fifth year - PEC statement at the Human Rights Council on the report of the International commission of inquiry on Syria: "not to publish names at this juncture of the investigation would be to reinforce the impunity" (read on PEC NEWS)
- PALESTINE: MADA report: 2014 the worst, the deadliest, and the hardest year in the history of Palestinian Media (for the MADA report, go to OTHER NEWS)
- GUATEMALA: PEC condemns the murder of two journalists - PEC y Cerigua consternados: dos periodistas asesinados en Mazatenango (read on PEC NEWS)
- DEBAT SUR LA CYBERSURVEILLANCE avec Edward Snowden: Snowden aimerait bien revenir en Suisse // DEBATE ON CYBERSURVEILLANCE with Edward Snowden: Snowden would like to return to Switzerland as a political refugee - see:
participez au débat sur la cybersurveillance sur: www.altermondes.org:
Le film Citizenfour a été présenté dans le cadre du Festival international du film et forum sur les droits humains (FIFDH) à Genève. Sous le pseudonyme de Citizenfour se cache un jeune homme qui aura 30 ans dans quelques jours, dont le nom et le visage sont encore inconnus. C'est Edward Snowden que rencontrent, en juin 2013, dans une chambre d'hôtel, à Hongkong, la réalisatrice et le journaliste Glenn Greenwald, accompagnés parfois par un autre journaliste spécialiste du renseignement, le Britannique Ewen MacAskill. Leurs conversations durent huit jours et portent sur le processus à adopter pour révéler dans les meilleures conditions souhaitables ce que Snowden a découvert, à savoir que l'agence NSA espionne les citoyens du monde entier...Interrogé par Darius Rochebin, de la TSR, après la présentation du film, Snowden avoue que son exil en Russie lui pèse: voir la vidéo
- EGYPT - an unprecedented legal limbo: Mohamed Fahmy retrial delayed until March 19 after witnesses fail to show (read on OTHER NEWS)
- COLOMBIA: second journalist murdered in less than three weeks - segundo asesinato de periodista colombiano en 2015 (read on OTHER NEWS)
- UKRAINE: ONE MORE JOURNALIST KILLED on the eve of the session of the Human Rights Council - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is deeply saddened by the death of Sergii Nikolaiev, senior photographer of Segodnya daily Ukrainian newspaper. Since the start of the year, in two months, 29 journalists have been killed while only doing their job (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Sergii Nikolaiev (photo) died of wounds he received on Feb. 28 in eastern Ukraine, according to news reports. The tragedy occurred in the village of Pisky located just 1.5 kilometers from Donetsk airport, which is now controlled by separatists. Several of his colleagues on the scene reported that Nikolaiev was wounded by explosion of the mine, while Segodnya newspaper reported that he was wounded by shells. Nikolaiev, 43, has worked in numerous conflict zones, including wars in Georgia, Libya, Syria, and Somalia. He has become the tenth journalist killed since the beginning of 2014 in Ukraine, the seventh directly caused by the war (five Russians, one Italian, one Ukrainian).
- UNITED STATES: UN rights expert hails US move to keep Internet open (read on OTHER NEWS)
- PAKISTAN: slow progress in the fight against impunity in Balochistan (see our page NO IMPUNITY) - An official autopsy report on the death of Reuters journalist Maria Golovnina has concluded that she died of asphyxiation, the cause of which "at this stage cannot be established." Golovnina, 34, the Reuters bureau chief for Afghanistan and Pakistan, was declared dead in an Islamabad hospital on February 23 after she collapsed in the Reuters news bureau. Pakistan authorities are conducting a further toxicology report, which is expected to take about a month. PEC will follow-up and expects the authorities to conduct a full and transparent investigation
- UKRAINE - RUSSIA: one year after the Euromaidan revolution in Kiev, the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) concerned: the space for free journalism is steadily decreasing - PEC condemns all obstacles to reporting on the conflict and calls on all parties to respect the freedom of information for all journalists
Read: Russian journalists go abroad to report free of Kremlin control http://flip.it/aNLKi
and: Kommersant article on Russian troops fighting in Debaltseve: http://www.unian.info/war/1046898-kommersant-article-on-russian-troops-fighting-in-debaltseve-full-text-in-english.html …
and: Russian media outlets working in Ukraine’s state bodies stripped of accreditation http://tass.ru/en/world/777136
OSCE Denounces 'Continued Intimidation' Of Media NGOs In Russia: http://www.osce.org/fom/142391
- SYRIA: Swedish Journalist Released From Captivity in Syria - Swedish tabloid Expressen says Swedish journalist Joakim Medin has been released from a weeklong captivity in Syria. Medin, 30, said in an interview with the paper Sunday 22 February that he and his interpreter were captured by Syrian government forces while working in the Kurdish parts of the country. Medin, who works as a freelancer for Swedish media, was released late Saturday after spending a week in an isolation cell. Swedish Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Ulla Jacobson confirmed that Medin has been released.
- A Call for Global Safety Principles and Practices: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) endorses safety principles and practices for international news organizations and the freelancers who work with them in a conflict zone or any dangerous environment (read the principles on OTHER NEWS)
- Débat sur la Démocratie à l'ère numérique avec Blaise Lempen, Hasni Abidi et Luisa Ballin
voir la vidéo sur YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHX_2BqVhHk
- EGYPT: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes a court decision in Egypt that has ordered the release on bail of two Al Jazeera journalists (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Mohamed Fahmy, here with his fiancee, Marwa Omara, in Cairo on Saturday, tells the Star that his ordeal with the Egyptian justice system is far from over. The 40-year-old Canadian journalist was let out on bail Friday 13 February after spending 411 days behind bars along with his Al Jazeera colleagues, Peter Greste and Baher Mohamed. Mohamed Fahmi is still very cautious
Read his interviews on: http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/02/14/mohamed-fahmy-still-living-in-this-nightmare.html
- AZERBAIJAN: The Swiss embassy in Baku has been secretly sheltering Azerbaijani journalist and human rights activist Emin Huseynov for the past six months, a Swiss national television report has revealed on Wednesday 11 February - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) urges Azerbaijan to grant Huseynov safe passage out of the country (read on PEC NEWS)
Since August 2014, the human rights defender and journalist Emin Huseynov of Azerbaijan has been forced into hiding at the Swiss embassy in Baku. As chairman of the Institute for Reporters’ Freedom and Safety (IRFS), a local NGO, Huseynov is one of many victims of an intense government crackdown on free speech and civil society that has taken place in Azerbaijan over the past year
- SYRIA: Japan confiscates journalist's passport to stop him going to Syria - What is the most important, the right to information of the public or the journalists' safety? The passport seizure has brought sharp criticism from journalists and free-speech advocates. The PEC questions the legitimacy of the decision (read on PEC NEWS)
- LIBYA: JOURNALISTS UNDER ATTACK - report released by Human Rights Watch (read on OTHER NEWS)
- SYRIA: REMEMBER AMERICAN JOURNALIST AUSTIN TICE MISSING SINCE AUGUST 2012 - Parents of missing journalist push for new hostage policy - see the video: http://goo.gl/wbCeTS
- BURUNDI: PEC is concerned about the arrest and detention of Burundian journalist Bob Rugurika (read the OHCHR statement on Other News)
- EGYPT: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes Peter Greste's release, a move in the right direction, and demands the release of his colleagues Baher Mohamed and Mohamed Fahmy (PEC press release on PEC NEWS, more info on OTHER NEWS)
Australian journalist Peter Greste (here on his arrival in Cyprus) has been deported and is free after 400 days in detention in Egypt. Greste was arrested in December 2013 with his colleagues Mohamed Fadel Fahmy (Canada) and Baher Mohamed (Egypt). Accused of collaborating with the banned Muslim Brotherhood after the overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi by the military in 2013, the three men said they were simply reporting the news.
- SYRIA: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is horrified at the beheading announced by ISIS of Japanese journalist Kenji GOTO, a heinous crime strongly condemned by the PEC - 23 journalists killed in one month, an unprecedented record for January (read the PEC press release on PEC NEWS)
"Kenji Goto reported the plight of people in conflict areas like Iraq, Somalia and Syria.
It was his passion to highlight the effects on ordinary people, especially through the eyes of children, and to inform the rest of us of the tragedies of war", his wife Rinko - Sunday, 01 February 2015.
- SOUTH SUDAN: FIVE JOURNALISTS KILLED IN AN AMBUSH IN BAHR AL GHAZAL STATE - PEC condemns the attack and urges the authorities to identify the perpetrators - 21 journalists killed since the start of the year, an unprecedented record for January (see casualties)
- SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is deeply concerned by a video released by the Islamic State militant group, showing surviving Japanese freelance journalist Kenji Goto, in handcuffs and dressed in orange, holding a photo of what appears to be beheaded compatriot Haruna Yukawa. PEC firmly condemns an outrageous act of banditry and calls for the immediate release of the Japanese hostage (read the PEC press release on PEC NEWS)
Kenji Goto (photo), 47, is an experienced freelance journalist covering the conflict in Iraq and Syria. Goto was kidnapped in Syria in October 2014 and had been a journalist for years, contributing to NHK and other Japanese news organizations.
- MEXICO: PEC worried - Mexican journalist remains missing after three weeks - no investigation from authorities in Veracruz - sadly the body of the reporter Moises Sanchez Cerezo, 49, was found January 24 hidden in a black bag in the small town of Manlio Fabio Altamirano (updated - read on OTHER NEWS)
- ETHIOPIA: Media Being Decimated // Ethiopie : Un paysage médiatique peu à peu décimé (read the Report of Human Rights Watch on OTHER NEWS)
- Entretien exclusif avec Laurence Deonna, journaliste, écrivaine: « Pour être publiés, le reporter et le photographe doivent aller au plus près du drame au risque de leur vie » - Propos recueillis par Luisa Ballin pour la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) - lire l'entretien sur PEC NEWS
Exclusive Interview with Laurence Deonna, journalist, writer, "To be published, the reporter and the photographer must move closer to the drama at the risk of their lives" - Interview by Luisa Ballin for the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) (read the interview translated in English on PEC NEWS)
Journaliste, photographe, grand reporter et écrivaine voyageuse, lauréate du Prix Unesco pour l’éducation à la paix en 1987, la Genevoise Laurence Deonna vient de publier son dernier livre intitulé « Mémoires ébouriffées » (Editions de l’Aire/Ginkgo). Cette fine connaisseuse du Moyen-Orient a accordé un entretien exclusif à la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC). Elle nous parle du métier de reporter de guerre devenu beaucoup plus dangereux
- Je suis Charlie. La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) n’est pas d’accord avec la nouvelle publication de " Charlie Hebdo " // The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) does not agree with the new publication of "Charlie Hebdo" // La organización internacional de periodistas Campana Emblema de Prensa (PEC) no está de acuerdo con la nueva publicación de "Charlie Hebdo"(read the PEC press release French, English, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
- Je suis Charlie: over one million people for the defense of freedom of expression and against terrorism Sunday in Paris, four million people throughout France
Some 1.5 million people, including over 50 world leaders, thronged central Paris Sunday afternoon in a massive and historic show of support against terrorism (read on OTHER NEWS a press release of the French syndicates of journalists)
- Je suis Charlie: commemoration at the United Nations in Geneva for the victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack - Participants and PEC members observed one minute of silence Friday 9 January
Over one hundred journalists and UN spokepersons attended the commemoration at the United Nations in Geneva to pay homage to the victims of the attack in Paris, with the DG of the UN in Geneva Michael Moller, the High Commissionner, the Permanent Representative of France Nicolas Niemtchinow, the president of the UN Association of Journalists in Geneva and a Representative of Cartooning for Peace
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said: "We do not need retaliation. Neither Islam nor multiculturalism in Europe is to blame for the bloody attack two mornings ago, as some right-wing political leaders have already begun to say". He added: "The right to the freedom of expression has always been considered as that human right which best answers to the wickedness brought on by tyranny and racism (...) That right, the freedom of expression, must therefore be argued for vigorously, most especially by this organization: by us".
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) took part in the special event to pay homage to the victims of the attack in Paris and to reaffirm the importance of freedom of the press. Here on the photo Tamer Aboalenin, member of the PEC board, during the minute of silence with many journalists accredited at the United Nations in Geneva (more on PEC NEWS)
- LIBYA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the execution by the Libyan branch of the Islamic State jihadist group of two Tunisian journalists who went missing in September, Sofiene Chourabi and Nadhir Ktari - the news is not yet confirmed // LIBYE. La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) condamne l'exécution revendiquée par la branche libyenne de l'Etat islamique de deux journalistes tunisiens Sofiène Chourabi et Nadhir Guetari enlevés depuis le 8 septembre en Libye - L'authenticité des images n'a pas pu être vérifiée de source indépendante à ce stade
- FRANCE. Attaque contre le journal Charlie Hebdo à Paris : la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) horrifiée s’interroge sur les raisons d’un acte révoltant et appelle à un apaisement des conflits au Moyen-Orient // The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC), horrified, can only wonder what is behind the attack and calls for a peaceful solution to the conflicts in the Middle East // La PEC horrorizada se interroga sobre las razones de tan repugnante acto y exhorta al apaciguamiento de los conflictos en el Medio Oriente
(read the press release French, English, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
Les dessinateurs Cabu, Tignous, Charb et Wolinski ont été victimes de la tuerie perpétrée mercredi 7 janvier dans les locaux du journal français "Charlie Hebdo" à Paris.
- JANUARY 2015. PEC annual report – updated : 138 journalists killed in 32 countries in 2014 - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) has updated its annual report 2014, published December 15 (128 journalists killed at that time). At the end of the year, at least 138 journalists have been killed in 32 countries. 2014 was the deadliest year after 2012 over ten years (read more on PEC NEWS, English and Arabic, go to CASUALTIES for the full list of victims)
Most dangerous countries in 2014: Syria (19 killed), Gaza (16), Pakistan (12), Iraq (10), Ukraine (9), Mexico (8), Afghanistan (7), Honduras (6), Somalia (5), Brazil (5), Central African Republic (4), Cambodia (3), Guinea (3), Paraguay (3), and Philippines (3).
Middle East is on the top of the list, with 52 journalists killed, followed by Asia with 32, Latin America with 29, Sub-Saharan Africa with 15 and Europe 10.
- MAURITANIE: soutenons Mohamed Cheikh journaliste mauritanien condamné à mort - Signez la lettre ouverte au président mauritanien, Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, également président en exercice de l'Union Africaine // MAURITANIA: sign the petition to release the journalist Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mohamed convicted of apostasy (lire sur OTHER NEWS)
- PAKISTAN: 2014 AMONG THE WORST FOR JOURNALISTS IN A DECADE (read on OTHER NEWS)
- EGYPT: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins the calls to release the Al Jazeera staff held for one year in Egypt. They are not criminals, only journalists. December 29 marks one year since Baher Mohamed, Mohamed Fahmy and Peter Greste were arrested in Cairo under false charges of aiding the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood and spreading false news. In June, Greste, an Australian, and Fahmy, an Egyptian-Canadian, received seven-year jail terms, while Mohamed, an Egyptian, was sentenced to 10 years. After the Court orders the retrial of the journalists January 1rst, the PEC still hopes that President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi will issue a presidential pardon to end this ordeal that tarnishes the image of Egypt.
- 15 DECEMBER 2014. PEC annual report - 2014 a terrible year for the journalists: 128 journalists killed in 32 countries // Rapport annuel de la PEC - 2014 une année terrible pour les journalistes: 128 journalistes tués dans 32 pays // Informe anual de la PEC - El año que finaliza ha sido terrible para los periodistas: 128 periodistas asesinados en 32 países
(read the PEC summary English, French, Spanish and Arabic, go to CASUALTIES for more)
watch the video - entretien diffusé dans le journal 64' de TV5 Monde: http://youtu.be/kMlcZEIalt0
- Halte à l’hécatombe des correspondants de guerre - lisez l'entretien du secrétaire général de la PEC Blaise Lempen publiée lundi 15 décembre dans le quotidien suisse "Le Temps" (allez sur PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) appalled - FOUR JOURNALISTS KILLED IN TWO DAYS - 13 in Syria since the beginning of this year (read on OTHER NEWS)
- YEMEN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) shocked - freelance american photojournalist Luke Somers has been killed during a rescue attempt in Yemen - Luke Somers was abducted in September 2013 in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, by al-Qaeda (more on OTHER NEWS)
Luke Somers appears in a propaganda video released by al-Malahem Media. The authorities in Sanaa had received information that the hostage was due to be killed by al-Qaeda on Saturday morning 6 December, prompting the rescue attempt. Chuck Hagel, the US defence secretary, later confirmed his death.
- SOMALIA. TWO MORE JOURNALISTS KILLED. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is saddened to learn the murder of two journalists, while three others were wounded in a suicide car bombing attack in the town of Baidoa (read on OTHER NEWS)
- GAZA: threats of the so-called “ISIS-Gaza” against journalists and artists - a very worrying phenomenon (read on OTHER NEWS)
- NOVEMBER 2014. UKRAINE. PEC condemns the killing of Oleksandr Kuchynsky and his wife in Donetsk Oblast. He is the ninth journalist killed in Ukraine this year, the 120th worldwide. Kuchynsky, 57, was a chief editor of Criminal Express, a newspaper in Donetsk covering the crime news (see casualties)
- UNITED NATIONS. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes a new resolution adopted by consensus at the third committee in New York which aims at enhancing the safety of journalists, but more needs to be done – five years after the Ampatuan Massacre, no one has been convicted. The PEC calls on the UN to create a new international mechanism to follow-up the enquiries and bring those responsible to justice // حملة الشارة الدولية ترحب پقرار اللجنة الثالثة لحماية و سلامة الصحفيين
(read the PEC statement English and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
- PEC took part in a meeting in Strasbourg organized by UNESCO: Legal experts discussed frameworks to tackle impunity - and attended the 3rd UN Inter-Agency Meeting on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity (read on PEC NEWS)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. REVIEW OF EGYPT (UPR). IPI and PEC sent a letter to Ambassadors to call attention to the dare situation journalists are facing in Egypt (read the letter on PEC NEWS)
- INTERNATIONAL DAY TO END IMPUNITY. Symposium on safety of journalists - the reality of violations and the efforts for protection - Doha (Qatar) - read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS
The Press Emblem Campaign calls upon all governments to take steps to prevent attacks on journalists and to hold accountable those who commit them (speaking at the Doha Symposium, right, the PEC Representative Gianfranco Fattorini)
- INTERNATIONAL DAY TO END IMPUNITY for CRIMES AGAINST JOURNALISTS. ONE YEAR AFTER THE MURDER OF TWO FRENCH JOURNALISTS OF RFI IN MALI - PEC welcomes a new campaign launched by RSF: www.fightimpunity.org. ACT NOW (read more news and statements on our pages OTHER NEWS and NO IMPUNITY)
- OCTOBER 2014. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly protests against the targeting by israeli soldiers of an AP reporter and a Swiss photograph in the West Bank, demands that the israeli authorities apologize - la PEC proteste énergiquement contre les tirs effectués par des soldats israéliens contre un reporter d'AP et un photographe suisse indépendant en Cisjordanie et demande que les autorités israéliennes s'excusent (lire les infos sur OTHER NEWS)
- EBOLA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN RELIEVED. American cameraman Ashoka Mukpo declared Ebola-free after treatment(read on OTHER NEWS)
- A NEW PUBLICATION ON THE FACEBOOK, GOOGLE, TWITTER "REVOLUTION": BLAISE LEMPEN "THE DEMOCRACY AT THE DIGITAL AGE" - UNE NOUVELLE PUBLICATION: "LA DEMOCRATIE A L'ERE NUMERIQUE - la "révolution Facebook, Google, Twitter et Cie", par Blaise LEMPEN (plus d'infos sur PEC NEWS)
La « révolution numérique » est-elle un progrès de la démocratie, des libertés individuelles, un nouvel avenir radieux ou au contraire l’avènement du règne de la surveillance et de la désinformation généralisées ? Atteintes aux libertés, conflits socio-culturels, ingouvernabilité, le livre de Blaise Lempen aide à y voir clair - à commander sur: www.georg.ch (dessin: Chappatte)
- IRAQ - Islamic State publicly executes Iraqi journalist in northern Iraq - Islamic State fighters have publicly executed an Iraqi journalist Raad Mohamed Al-Azaoui, Al Jazeera reported on Saturday Oct 11. It follows the executions of two Western journalists. Raad Mohamed Al-Azaoui, a cameraman for Sama Salah Aldeen TV, was abducted by Islamic State fighters on September 7 when he was working in Samara, in the northern province of Saladin. The group later issued threats to behead Al-Azaoui after he refused to work for the Islamic State. This new execution highlights the mounting dangers journalists face while working in the region. The terrorist organization eliminate all those who refuse to swear allegiance to ISIS, warned the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) (see casualties)
- ALERT. EBOLA IN WEST AFRICA. NEW RISKS FOR JOURNALISTS. American Journalist With Ebola, NBC Team Brought Back to U.S. (read media reports and latest news of the NBC cameraman on OTHER NEWS)
Ashoka Mukpo (photo), a freelance journalist from Providence, Rhode Island, was working as a cameraman for NBC News when he fell ill last Wednesday. The American photojournalist who became infected with Ebola left disease-ravaged Liberia on Sunday night. Mukpo was being flown back to the U.S. to the Biocontainment Unit at the Nebraska Medical Center Monday October 6
- SEPTEMBER 2014. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) salutes the adoption of a new resolution on the safety of journalists by the Human Rights Council, marking progress by UN Member States (read the PEC statement English and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
- WORKSHOP ON SWITZERLAND AND FREEDOM OF THE PRESS // CONFERENCE ORGANISEE SUR LA SUISSE ET LA LIBERTE DE LA PRESSE (lire la contribution de la PEC et la résolution adoptée par les organisateurs sur PEC NEWS)
Les 3e Assises du Journalisme, organisées par Impressum, Amnesty, la PEC, RSF et l'Université de Fribourg ont réuni à Lausanne le 24 septembre plus de 200 journalistes, éditeurs, rédacteurs en chef, étudiants, membres d'ONG pour discuter de la liberté de la presse, de la Convention européenne des droits de l'homme, de la protection des journalistes en zone de guerre et de la cybersurveillance lors de quatre ateliers (photo PM).
- GAZA. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. The Press Emblem Campaign calls on the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories to investigate on the violation of the fundamental freedoms and rights of journalists, and on the members of the Independent, international commission of inquiry to investigate on the aforementioned crimes against media outlet and media workers and identify the responsible (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- THREE JOURNALISTS KILLED IN GUINEA IN COLD BLOOD. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is alarmed by reports that eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola, among them three local journalists, have been killed by villagers using machetes and clubs in Guinea. This brings the total of casualties among media workers this year to more than 100 (see casualties)
- SYRIA. PEC SHOCKED BY ONE MORE VIDEO. The Islamic State militant group released a video September 18 that shows John Cantlie, a British freelance journalist kidnapped in Syria in 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is deeply concerned for the safety of John Cantlie and urges Islamic State militants to free John Cantlie and all other remaining hostages. In the past month, the ISIS has published three other videos showing the beheading of civilians, including U.S. freelance journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff.
The so-called Islamic State has released a haunting video that shows John Cantlie (photo) pledging to expose the "truth behind the Islamic State". The PEC strongly condemns such statements under duress ot the former british reporter for The Sunday Times, The Sun and The Sunday Telegraph.
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) delivered two statements on the report of the commission of inquiry on Syria and on Human rights situations that require the Council's attention (read the statements on PEC NEWS)
- EGYPT. Keep up the pressure on Egypt to free the Al Jazeera’s imprisoned journalists Australian Peter Greste, Canadian-Egyptian Mohamed Fahmy and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed, sentenced to seven years last June and detained since 251 days. Invited by the Swiss Press Club, Mostefa Souag, Al Jazeera Media Network’s director general, was in Geneva Friday 5 September. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joigned the campaign to free all the journalists in Egypt (read the PEC statement at the Swiss Press Club on PEC NEWS).
Mostefa Souag (left) was invited by the director of the Swiss Press Club in Geneva Guy Mettan (right). The Al Jazeera Media Network's director general said that the verdict was political. Al Jazeera reporters have gotten attention, but Egyptian journalists have far more difficulties. According to Souag, 60 journalists are detained in Egypt.
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. 27th session. TWO WRITTEN STATEMENTS submitted by the Press Emblem Campaign: 90 journalists killed so far in 2014: a new step is required by the UN in order to combat impunity // GAZA: 15 journalists and media workers killed during operation “Protective Edge”: the responsible have to be held accountable (read the PEC statements on PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA. Free Mazen Darwish and his colleagues (read on OTHER NEWS)
- SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns with force the slaughtering of American journalist Steven Sotloff by ISIS, urges the Human Rights Council to act (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
A disguised militant from the Islamic State, or ISIS, said the execution of an American journalist purportedly shown in a new video was the result of U.S. airstrikes in Iraq. The White House said Wednesday Sept 3 the video showing the killing of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff is authentic. Mr. Sotloff, 31 years old, was abducted near the Turkish border in Syria in August 2013. Few knew about his capture until the release on Aug. 19 of another video showing the beheading of American journalist James Foley.
- UKRAINE. ONE MORE JOURNALIST KILLED IN EASTERN UKRAINE. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls for a thorough and independent investigation on the death of Russian journalist Andrey Stenin (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Russian journalist Andrey Stenin (photo) has been confirmed dead Sept 3. He was in a vehicle, traveling in a convoy containing escaping civilians when it came under heavy fire. Stenin, 33, a photojournalist contributing to several news agencies including Rossiya Segodnya (RIA Novosti) and ITAR-TASS, had been covering the conflict in eastern Ukraine before all contact with him was lost on August 5.
- IRAQ. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. SPECIAL SESSION ON THE SITUATION IN IRAQ - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses its deepest concern about the security conditions and the protection of journalists working in Iraq - The PEC calls upon the Human Rights Council to firmly condemn and to investigate all crimes committed against journalists by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- UNITED NATIONS. PEC welcomes a statement from four international freedom of expression rapporteurs urging stronger protection of journalists covering conflicts (read the UN statement on OTHER NEWS)
- AUGUST 2014. PAKISTAN. A black-week in Pakistan’s media history - two journalists and three media workers killed (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the release of American journalist Peter Theo Curtis, held captive by militants in Syria since October 2012 (read on OTHER NEWS)
- SYRIA. PEC HORRIFIED BY THE VIDEO POSTED BY ISIS SHOWING THE BARBARIC MURDER OF AMERICAN JOURNALIST JAMES FOLEY (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Foley, 40 (photo), vanished in Syria in November 2012 while covering the Syrian civil war for GlobalPost. The car he was riding in was stopped by four militants in a contested battle zone that both Sunni rebel fighters and government forces were trying to control. He had not been heard from since. At the end of the video posted August 19 by the Islamic State, a militant shows a second man, who was identified as another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warns that he could be next captive killed. Sotloff was kidnapped near the Syrian-Turkish border in August 2013 and freelanced for Time, the National Interest and MediaLine.
- MALDIVES. PEC is concerned about the disappearance of Ahmad Rilwan Abdullah, a journalist with Minivan News - 15 journalists have reported receiving death threats in the Maldives (see OTHER NEWS)
- GAZA. PEC deeply saddened to hear of the death of two journalists of Associated Press and Agence France-Presse killed while photographing attempts to dismantle an unexploded Israeli bomb - the media death toll reaches 15 following the israeli operation Protective Edge (more on OTHER NEWS)
This photo taken in August, 2014 shows italian Associated Press video journalist Simone Camilli on a balcony overlooking smoke from Israeli Strikes in Gaza City. Camilli, 35, was killed in an ordnance explosion in the Gaza Strip, on Wednesday, Aug. 13, together with Palestinian Ali Shehda Abu Afash from Agence France-Presse and three members of the Gaza police. AP photographer Hatem Moussa was also injured. According to AP, Simone Camilli was a passionate, talented newsman who covered popes in the serene splendor of the Vatican and the horrific violence on battlefields from the former Soviet republic of Georgia to the Middle East.
- COLUMBIA. La PEC condena asesinato del periodista Luis Carlos Cervantes en Tarazá, Antioquia / PEC condemns the killing of the journalist Luis Carlos Cervantes in Colombia (go to OTHER NEWS)
- ISRAEL-GAZA: ONE MONTH AFTER THE START OF THE OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE, PALESTINIAN MEDIA DEATH TOLL REACHES 13 in GAZA - PEC URGES ISRAEL TO TAKE ALL NECESSARY MEASURES TO AVOID NEW VICTIMS AMONG JOURNALISTS (see casualties, other news)
- AUGUST 2014. PEC CONDEMNS THE KILLING OF NINE PALESTINIAN JOURNALISTS IN THREE WEEKS IN GAZA / La PEC condamne le meurtre de neuf journalistes palestiniens en trois semaines à Gaza (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2014. GAZA. EIGHT PALESTINIAN JOURNALISTS KILLED IN THREE WEEKS BY ISRAELI ATTACKS, OTHER INJURED, MEDIA BUILDINGS SHELLED (read on OTHER NEWS)
Palestinian journalists are under fire. Israeli war jets are reported to have bombed the offices of the Al-Aqsa TV station, in the Alnaser neighbourhood of Gaza (photo), and the Al-Aqsa radio station, in the El-Sheikh Radwan neighbourhood in northern Gaza Tuesday 29 July. The attack on the Al-Aqsa offices means that four media outlets have until now been targeted. The PEC strongly condemns these attacks. The fact that the Hamas broadcast stations serve as propaganda organs does not justify making them a military target.
- GAZA. PEC welcomes the special session of the Human Rights Council (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- PEC Biannual report 2014: 61 journalists killed in first half of 2014 - Ukraine more dangerous than Syria // 61 journalistes tués au cours des six premiers mois de 2014 - L’Ukraine plus dangereuse que la Syrie (PEC report English, French and Arabic on PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2014. GAZA: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns killing of Palestinian media worker Hamid Shihab in Gaza City - the PEC calls upon the Israeli authorities to allow media workers to carry their work in a situation increasingly difficult and dangerous for journalists reporting on the conflict // طالبت حملة الشارة الدولية لحماية الصحفيين إسرائيل باحترام قانون الحرب و عدم استهداف العاملين في وسائل الاعلام (read on PEC NEWS) - PEC alarmed by Israeli airstrikes on buildings housing media outlets in Gaza, at least three journalists injured - a second media worker killed July 20 - Journalists houses targeted, according to MADA (more on OTHER NEWS)
While Mr Shihab was going at about 10:00 pm Tuesday 9 July to Omar Al-Mukhtatr's street in Gaza city to transfer a cameraman to the headquarters of the company Media 24, the car, which had a press sign TV in red (photo), was shelled by a rocket by an Israeli airplane.
- JUNE 2014. EGYPT. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) calls on Egyptian President al-Sissi to release sentenced journalists including Peter Greste (PEC press release and more info on PEC NEWS)
Nairobi-based Al Jazeera English reporter, Australian Peter Greste (left), Al Jazeera English Cairo bureau chief, Canadian-Egyptian Mohamed Fahmy (center), and Al Jazeera producer, Baher Mohamed, were sentenced to seven years in prison - an appalling attack on press freedom - The PEC condemns the sentence as a dangerous precedent affecting freedom of expression.
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 26th session. Oral statement delivered by the PEC Permanent Representative at the UN - item 4 - Ukraine, Israel/Palestine, Iran (read the Press Emblem Campaign statement on PEC NEWS)
- THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) STRONGLY CONDEMNS THE KILLING OF TWO RUSSIAN JOURNALISTS NEAR LUGANSK IN UKRAINE (read more on PEC NEWS)
Two journalists for Russian TV channel Rossiya have died from wounds sustained during a Ukrainian military shelling attack near Lugansk, eastern Ukraine. Reporter Igor Kornelyuk (photo) passed away on the operating table, a doctor at the hospital confirmed to RT. The second alleged victim is sound engineer Anton Voloshin. According to RT's information, he died immediately at the scene.The Rossiya channel crew consisted of three people with only one of them, Viktor Denisov, the cameraman, surviving the Ukrainian military shelling.
- SYRIA - HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - Report of the Independent international commission of inquiry - The PEC is particularly concerned by the radicalization of the armed groups which may be conducive to a regional destabilization and calls for an urgent reinforcement of the protection of journalists and media workers (full PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. Panel discussion on the Safety of Journalists. "Impunity is the major challenge governments, and the international community as a whole, have to face when they truly want to protect journalists" (Read the oral statement delivered by PEC on PEC NEWS) - PEC warmly welcomes the organization of the panel by the UN and the statement of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay calling for "zero tolerance" (read her statement on PEC NEWS)
Navi Pillay (photo): "States must adopt legislative and policy measures for ensuring the safety and protection of journalists and other media workers, with zero tolerance of any form of violence against journalists, and full accountability for any such violence" (...) "Every act of violence committed against a journalist that goes uninvestigated, and unpunished, is an open invitation for further violence. Ensuring accountability for attacks against journalists is a key element in preventing future attacks."
- 26th session of the Human Rights Council. Written statements delivered by the Press Emblem Campaign on safety of journalists and journalists in Ukraine (read the PEC statements on PEC NEWS)
- PEC AWARD CEREMONY 4 JUNE - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) awarded its annual prize for the protection of journalists Wednesday in Geneva to the Hirondelle Foundation. The PEC Committee thus recognized the support provided by the Foundation to the journalism profession in Africa and its efforts to counter the propaganda and hate that intensify conflict (PEC press release English, French, Spanish and Arabic on PEC NEWS, speeches and more details on our special page PEC AWARD)
Jean-Luc Mootoosamy, from Radio Ndeke Luka in Bangui (RCA) and Jean-Marie Etter, director general Fondation Hirondelle, receiving the PEC Award 2014 at the Swiss Press Club in Geneva (photo pec) (more photos on our page PEC AWARD)
- MAY 2014. ALERT. 26nd session of the Human Rights Council - Panel discussion on the safety of journalists 11 JUNE (go to our page DOCUMENTS for details)
- MAY 2014. LIBYA. The situation for journalists in Libya is growing increasingly dangerous - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns the brutal murder of the well-known journalist Meftah Bouzid in Benghazi Monday 26 May
Meftah Bouzid (50, photo), a prominent Libyan journalist and vocal critic of the country’s jihadists, was shot dead on Monday in the Islamist stronghold of Benghazi, generating a wave of condemnation from domestic and international rights organizations. Bouzid had previously been the subject of death threats for his frequent condemnation of Islamic extremists.
- MAY 2014. UKRAINE. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is deeply saddened about the death of Italian photojournalist Andrea Rocchelli and his russian assistant Andrey Mironov in eastern Ukraine on 24 May. These deaths are horrid reminders that not enough is being done to protect journalists who risk their lives reporting from conflict zones.
Rocchelli (30, photo) and Mironov were killed by mortar fire near Slavyansk where they were covering the conflict ahead of the presidential election. French photographer William Roguelon of Wostok Press was injured during the attack. Rocchelli is the third reporter killed in Ukraine this year and the first foreigner. The PEC calls on authorities in Ukraine to carry out a thorough investigation to find out exactly what happened and ensure those responsible are held accountable.
- MAY 2014. SYRIA. PEC condemns horrific attack on British Journalists (PEC press release on PEC NEWS)
According to media reports, Times writer Anthony Lloyd (photo) and photographer Jack Hill had spent several days reporting from the city of Aleppo and were returning to the Turkish border early on Wednesday when the car they were travelling in was forced to the side of the road. Lloyd was bound to the back seat of a car, while Hill and a local guide were put in the boot before being driven to a warehouse in the town of Tall Rifat.
Reports say that Hill and a guide attempted to escape, but they were recaptured. Hill was severely beaten while Lloyd was shot in the legs to prevent him from escaping. They were eventually freed and managed to cross the border into Turkey after receiving treatment in a Syrian hospital.
- MAY 2014. PEC DEEPLY SADDENED BY THE DEATH OF ONE FRENCH JOURNALIST IN CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - la PEC très attristée par la mort d'une journaliste française Camille Lepage en République centrafricaine (full PEC press release French and English on PEC NEWS)
Six mois après l'assassinat de deux reporters français de RFI au Mali, une autre journaliste française, la photographe Camille Lepage, 26 ans (photo AFP), a été tuée alors qu'elle effectuait un reportage en République centrafricaine (RCA). Le président François Hollande, qui a annoncé mardi 13 mai dans un communiqué le décès de la jeune femme originaire d'Angers, a ensuite indiqué à la presse que Camille Lepage était sans doute tombée dans un guet-apens. François Hollande a promis de mettre en œuvre "tous les moyens nécessaires pour faire la lumière sur les circonstances de cet assassinat et retrouver les meurtriers". Le Conseil de sécurité de l'ONU a condamné fermement mardi le meurtre et a réclamé une enquête aux autorités centrafricaines. Son travail a été publié par Le Monde, le Sunday Times, le Washington Post, le Wall Street Journal....Elle avait couvert la révolution égyptienne en 2011, elle était au Soudan du Sud en 2012.
- MAY 2014. ALERT EGYPT. Lawyer requests medical treatment for Elshamy / Egypt's prosecutor receives urgent appeal to transfer jailed Al Jazeera reporter to hospital as his health deteriorates (read on OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2014. Violaciones contra la libertad de expresión en México y Centroamérica – Abril 2014 - Colaboración de Cerigua para PEC // Violations of the press freedom in Mexico and Central America - one journalist killed in Panama, one in Honduras last month (read on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2014. CENTRAFRIQUE: journée sans médias après l'assassinat de deux journalistes // Central African Republic: a day without media after the murder of two journalists (lire sur OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2014. UKRAINE CRISIS. Journalists shot, attacked covering clashes: the PEC calls on all sides to respect the independence of the press (latest news on page OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2014. PEC dedicates World Press Freedom Day 2014 to three journalists killed in Afghanistan and one in Egypt during the past two months // La PEC dédie la Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse 2014 à trois journalistes tués en Afghanistan et une en Egypte au cours des deux derniers mois (read full statement on PEC NEWS English, French and Arabic)
- APRIL 2014. UNITED NATIONS. Secretary-General report to the General Assembly on the implementation of General Assembly resolution 68/163 - PEC contribution (read on PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2014: PEC VERY CONCERNED BY THE PROPAGANDA WAR IN UKRAINE. Many journalists detained - PEC condemns the occupation of media building (read on OTHER NEWS)
- APRIL 2014: EGYPT. In response to the growing attacks against journalists in Egypt, a group of journalists launched a petition in support for the PEC Draft Convention to Protect Journalists in conflict zones and dangerous situations (read more on PEC NEWS)
- AVRIL 2014: SYRIE - ENFIN LIBRES. LA PEC EXPRIME SON IMMENSE SOULAGEMENT ET FELICITE LES AUTORITES FRANçAISES ET LES INTERMEDIAIRES QUI ONT PERMIS LA LIBERATION LE 19 AVRIL DES QUATRE JOURNALISTES FRANçAIS DETENUS PRES DE DIX MOIS EN OTAGE - Didier François, 53 ans, grand reporter à Europe 1, et le photographe Edouard Elias, 23 ans, avaient été enlevés au nord d'Alep le 6 juin 2013. Le 22 juin, c'était au tour de Nicolas Hénin, 37 ans, reporter à l'hebdomadaire Le Point, et Pierre Torrès, 29 ans, photographe indépendant, à Raqqa (lire sur OTHER NEWS)
- APRIL 2014. AFGHANISTAN. THIRD JOURNALIST KILLED IN ONE MONTH. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) IS SHOCKED AND CONDEMNS THE MURDER OF THE GERMAN PHOTOGRAPHER ANJA NIEDRINGHAUS WORKING FOR ASSOCIATED PRESS (read details, reactions on OTHER NEWS)
Anja Niedringhaus, 48 (photo) an internationally acclaimed German photographer, was killed instantly. Kathy Gannon, 60, a canadian reporter, was wounded twice. The two were traveling in a convoy of election workers delivering ballots to the outskirts of Khost city when the incident took place, AP said. A unit commander named Naqibullah walked up to them as their car was waiting for the convoy to move, shouted God is Great and opened fire on them in the back seat with an AK-47, according to news reports. Anja Niedringhaus was the only woman on a team of 11 AP photographers that won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography for coverage of the Iraq War. That same year she was awarded the International Women's Media Foundation's Courage in Journalism prize.
- APRIL 2014. PEC first quarter report: 27 journalists killed in 3 months - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) worried about the protection of journalists during demos // Rapport PEC pour le premier trimestre 2014 - En trois mois, 27 journalistes tués - La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) inquiète pour la protection des journalistes lors de manifestations - تقرير حملة الشارة: 27 صحفيا و صحفية قتلوا منذ بداية العام
حملة الشارة تعرب عن قلقها لحالة حماية الصحفيين خلال المظاهرات (read full report on PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2014. Violaciones contra la libertad de expresión en México y Centroamérica – Marzo 2014 - Reporte de Cerigua para PEC (consulte PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2014. PAKISTAN. Taliban declare war on Media (read the report of the PEC correspondent in Islamabad on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2014. EGYPT. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the killing of Egyptian woman journalist Mayada Achraf, shot in the neck while covering clashes in demonstrations and awaits the results of investigations (read more on PEC NEWS)
It is not clear who is responsible for the murder of the young woman journalist Mayada Achraf (photo) Friday in Cairo. This tragic event happened exactly when the United Nations discussed at the Human Rights Council a resolution on the right to peaceful protests, including the need to ensure the safety of journalists in demonstrations.
- SYRIA. PEC relieved - Two spanish journalists freed in Syria after six-month ordeal, however others still detained, among them four french journalists kidnapped since June last year (more on OTHER NEWS)
- SYRIA: PEC deeply concerned about the decision made by the Damascus' Anti-Terrorism Court to prosecute Mazen Darwish, Hussein Hammad Ghrer and Mohamed Hani Al-Zitani -TURKEY: First Twitter, now YouTube – UN rights experts concerned -EGYPT. Trial for three Al-Jazeera staff in Egypt adjourned - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) renews its call for their immediate release - (read more on OTHER NEWS)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. 25th session. PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) STATEMENTS DELIVERED ON THE SITUATION OF JOURNALISTS IN PALESTINE AND IN UKRAINE (read full statements on PEC NEWS)
- AFGHANISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condems the horrific murder of Sardar Ahmad. The veteran Afghan reporter with AFP was killed Thursday 20 March along with his wife and two of their children by gunmen at the luxe Serena Hotel in Kabul. Sardar Ahmad, 40, was at Kabul’s Serena hotel when four gunmen opened fire on staff and guests enjoying dinner, killing nine civilians including four foreigners, AFP reports. The Taliban was quick to claim responsibility. Ahmad’s youngest son reportedly survived the attack and has undergone emergency treatment. Ahmad joined AFP in 2003 and became its senior staff reporter in the capital. It is the second murder of a journalist in two weeks in Kabul: on March 11, British-Swedish journalist Nils Horner, 52, was shot dead in broad daylight in a street.
- PEC STATEMENT AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL (item 4): "The impunity linked to the crimes committed against media workers fuels those crimes; States have to find the adequate mechanism to effectively protect media workers in conflict zones" (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA. PEC STATEMENT DELIVERED AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL IN GENEVA - Report of the Independent international commission of inquiry on the situation in the Syrian Arab Republic (A/HRC/25/65) (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- March a bloody month - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns in the strongest terms the killing of 5 journalists: 2 in Syria, 2 in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan during the last four days (March 8 to March 11) (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
The PEC condemns in the strongest terms the killing of veteran Swedish Radio reporter Nils Horner (photo), shot dead March 11 in Kabul as he conducted interviews ahead of next month’s presidential election in Afghanistan. Nils Horner, 51, had been a Swedish Radio foreign correspondent since 2001. He reported from Afghanistan when the Taliban were forced from power in 2001, from Baghdad when the USA entered in 2003, from Thailand following the Tsunami in 2004, and from Japan after the tsunami and ensuing Fukushima nuclear plant disaster in 2011. The motive for his killing is unknown.
- UKRAINE. PEC deeply concerned: journalists attacked in Crimea - attempts to restrict media access, to close internet websites in Russia (read the latest news on OTHER NEWS)
- PALESTINE. MADA's annual report: 229 violations of media freedoms in Palestine during 2013 - the Israeli occupation committed 151 violations, the equivalent of 66%, and various Palestinian parties in the West Bank and Gaza committed 78 violations, which is equivalent to 34% (read the report on OTHER NEWS)
- SYRIA. The PEC is relieved to learn that Marc Marginedas, a reporter for the Barcelona-based El Periódico newspaper, was released Sunday 2 March after six months in captivity in Syria and is now back in Spain. According to El Periódico, Marginedas was kidnapped on 4 September near the city of Hama by the jihadi group Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS). He was then moved to different locations in areas controlled by rebel groups. ISIS is believed to be holding two other spanish journalists Javier Espinosa and Ricard Garcia Vilanova and four French ones: Français Didier François, Edouard Elias, Nicolas Hénin and Pierre Torrès. The PEC renews its call for their immediate release.
- FEBRUARY 2014. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - 25th session. The necessity to move to a “zero tolerance” culture towards violence against media workers in order to insure their protection (read the PEC written statement submitted to the 25th session of the HRC on PEC NEWS)
- UKRAINE - ONE JOURNALIST KILLED - PEC strongly condemns the murder of a journalist in Kiev and attacks against others seriously injured in the ongoing violences. Vesti writes its journalist Vyacheslav Veremei died Wednesday 19 February after he was shot by unknown men in masks on Velyka Zhytomyrska Street. Veremei and his colleague IT specialist Oleksiy Lymarenko were attacked when they were coming back from work on taxi. The assailants pulled them and the taxi driver out of the car and brutally beat them. Lymarenko and the taxi driver received serious injuries (more on OTHER NEWS)
Dozens of journalists were injured while covering the violent demonstrations in Kiev. Many of these journalists were deliberately targeted and none of their cases have been properly investigated. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls on all parties to show respect for the work and the physical integrity of media personnel, and reminds the Ukrainian authorities of their responsibility to ensure journalists' safety.
- SYRIA. Third year of arbitrary detention for Mazen Darwish with two colleagues - After the failure of the Geneva peace talks PEC reiterates its call for the immediate release of Mazen Darwish, who received the PEC Award in June 2012, his colleagues and all journalists in detention in Syria (go to OTHER NEWS)
- AFRICA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES AND SUPPORTS the newly established freedom of expression network in Africa - The African Freedom of Expression Exchange (AFEX) deplored the current state of attacks, arrests, detentions, incarcerations and harassments meted out to journalists while on the job in many countries on the continent (read the statement on OTHER NEWS)
- LATIN AMERICA. Brazil: Journalist Badly Wounded by Flare During Rio Protest, declared brain dead - first journalist killed in Mexico - read the Cerigua report on Central America on PEC NEWS - COLOMBIA: Informe sobre el estado de la libertad de prensa en Colombia durante 2013, read on OTHER NEWS
- THAILAND. Acclaimed US photographer James Nachtwey shot in the leg in pre-election clashes in Bangkok (read on OTHER NEWS)
- JANUARY 2014. UKRAINE. Police attacked dozens of journalists - thorough investigations needed (read on OTHER NEWS)
- EGYPT. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) DEMANDS THE EGYPTIAN AUTHORITIES TO RELEASE THREE JOURNALISTS OF AL JAZEERA (read the statement from international media freedom and human rights organizations - 20 journalists referred to trial - UN very concerned about the increasingly severe clampdown and physical attacks on media in Egypt - see OTHER NEWS)
- PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expressed grave concern on continuous unabated ‘violence and intimidation’ against media in Pakistan. PEC ANNUAL REPORT FOR PAKISTAN, third deadliest country in 2013 after Syria and Iraq with high environment of impunity - PEC shocked to report on the brutal killing of three employees of a private television channel network in Karachi (full statements on PEC NEWS)
- REGIONAL ANNUAL REPORT FOR CENTRAL AMERICA AND MEXICO, one of the most dangerous regions with 12 killed last year - REPORTE DE CERIGUA PARA PEC - Síntesis anual de las violaciones a la libertad de expresión en México y Centroamérica enero – diciembre 2013 (read on PEC NEWS - consulte la página PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES WITH GREAT RELIEF THE RELEASE OF TWO SWEDISH JOURNALISTS ABDUCTED IN SYRIA. They were kidnapped on November 23. The PEC renews its call for other journalists detained in Syria to be freed (go to OTHER NEWS)
- PEC ANNUAL REPORT 2013 // RAPPORT ANNUEL DE LA PEC 2013 // PEC INFORME ANNUAL 2013:
The year 2013 has been another deadly year for journalists. 129 journalists were killed in the line of duty in 28 countries // L'année 2013 a été encore une année très meurtrière pour les journalistes. De janvier à décembre, 129 travailleurs des médias ont été tués dans leurs fonctions dans 28 pays // El año 2013 ha sido otro año de muertes para los periodistas. En 28 países 129 profesionales de la prensa fueron muertos en el ejercicio de su profesión // 2013 سنة أخرى قاتلة للصحفيين
READ FULL STATEMENT ENGLISH, FRENCH, SPANISH AND ARABIC ON PEC NEWS - LIST OF CASUALTIES, GRAPHS CLICK LEFT ON CASUALTIES
- DECEMBER 2013. IRAQ. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns targeted and suicide attack on Salah al-Din TV station headquarters in Tikrit, Iraq, which left five journalists dead. The attack comes amid a wave of killings of journalists in the past few months that has made Iraq the second deadliest country in the world for journalists with 16 killed after Syria (17 killed) (go to CASUALTIES)
- PAKISTAN. PEC exclusive interview with a senior journalist Mudassar Shah reporting from troubled Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA): "To be a journalist in this region is the most dangerous job" (read on PEC NEWS)
- News outlets urge Syria rebels to halt abductions (read on OTHER NEWS)
- Impunity breeds violence against journalists, UN rights expert tells the UN Security Council (read on OTHER NEWS)
- SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the abduction of two more foreign journalists - The families of Spanish journalists Javier Espinosa Robles and Ricardo García Vilanova revealed at news conferences in Beirut and Madrid December 10 that the jihadi group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) kidnapped Espinosa and García in Syria’s northern province of Raqqah on 16 September.
Both Espinosa and García are seasoned reporters who have been covering the uprising against the Assad regime since it began in March 2011. Espinosa, 49 (photo), has been based in Beirut as El Mundo’s Middle East correspondent since 2002. García is a freelance photographer and videographer who has been covering wars and humanitarian crises for more than 15 years. After covering the uprising in Libya in 2011, he has done a lot of reporting in Syria in the past two years, winning many awards. The news media he has worked for include Channel 4, APTN, Reuters and Euronews. According to PEC, at least 12 foreign journalists are currently kidnapped or missing in Syria.
- NOVEMBER 2013. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes heartily the decision of the United Nations General Assembly to create an international Day to End Impunity for crimes against journalists - the day will be celebrated each year on November 2 (full PEC statement and text of the UN resolution on safety of journalists on PEC NEWS)
- SYRIA. Two Swedish journalists, reporter Magnus Falkehed and photographer Niclas Hammarström are believed to have been abducted 23 November in Syria, according to the Swedish Foreign Ministry. PEC demands their immediate release. More than 10 foreign reporters are held in captivity by foreign groups
Magnus Falkehed (left) is a freelancer for among others Dagens Nyheter. The Swedish photojournalist agency Kontinental, where Niclas Hammarström (right) is a member, had kept regular contact with the journalists in Syria. It was Kontinental that raised the alarm over the weekend.
- The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) marks International Day to End Impunity - at this occasion, Luisa Ballin has interviewed Giuliana Sgrena, the well-known Italian journalist kidnapped by insurgents in Iraq in 2005. Sgrena and the two Italian intelligence officers who has helped secure her release came under fire, one was killed. Eight years after, no prosecution happened. Read her testimony on PEC NEWS (only in French)
Giuliana Sgrena, journaliste italienne enlevée en Irak en 2005, s'est confiée dans un entretien exclusif accordé à Luisa Ballin pour la PEC sur les suites de son enlèvement. "Malheureusement, l’enquête n’avance pas. Nous nous sommes battus pour qu’il y ait un procès en Italie à l’encontre de Mario Lozano, le soldat de l’armée américaine qui a tiré contre notre voiture. Nous n’y sommes pas parvenus malgré un procès préliminaire lors duquel le juge avait décidé d’envoyer Mario Lozano devant la justice pour l’homicide politique volontaire de Nicola Calipari, le numéro deux du SISMI (les services italiens de la sûreté de l’Etat) et pour la tentative d’homicide contre moi et contre l’autre agent du SISMI Andrea Carpani" (lire l'interview sur PEC NEWS) - links to other contributions to mark International Day to End Impunity on our page NO IMPUNITY
- SYRIA - Human rights organizations call on Syrian government to implement the UN Resolution - The Syrian government should immediately release human rights defenders, Mazen Darwish, Hussein Ghareer and Hani Al-Zitani, members of the Syrian Centre for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM), and drop all the charges against them (full statement on OTHER NEWS)
- A group of the world’s leading international broadcasters say that the dangers facing their journalists are such that it is difficult to provide accurate reporting from some parts of the world // Journalistes tués: plusieurs médias audiovisuels internationaux appellent le Conseil de sécurité de l'ONU à agir (go to OTHER NEWS for the statement)
- REPORTE DE CERIGUA PARA PEC - Violaciones contra la libertad de expresión y de prensa en México y Centroamérica durante el mes de octubre de 2013 - GUATEMALA: Cerigua rechaza utilización de gas pimienta contra la prensa y exige a las autoridades investigar a los responsables (go to PEC NEWS)
- MALI. La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) appuie la demande de trois syndicats français de journalistes de création d'une commission d'enquête sur l'assassinat des deux journalistes dans le nord-est du Mali. De nombreuses questions restent sans réponse et leur mort ne peut rester impunie // The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joined the call of three french syndicates of journalists for an official commission of enquiry after the death of two reporters in Mali. Many questions remained unanswered and these killings must not be unpunished (letter on PEC NEWS - lire la lettre des trois syndicats sur PEC NEWS)
- MALI. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is appalled by the abduction and murder of two French journalists working for Radio France Internationale Ghislaine Dupont and Claude Verlon near the northern city of Kidal // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) est consternée par l'enlèvement et l'assassinat de deux journalistes français Ghislaine Dupont et Claude Verlon près de la ville de Kidal dans le nord du Mali (press release on PEC NEWS)
The profession of journalism more and more dangerous - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns in the strongest possible manner the summary executions of French journalists working for Radio France Internationale Ghislaine Dupont (left, 57) and Claude Verlon (right, 55).
The journalists were kidnapped and shot after conducting an interview in Kidal, Mali. Their bodies were found about 10 km from the town centre Nov 2.
- PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) while expressing serious concern on the increased violence against media in Pakistan said that impunity is completely enjoyed by the predators of press freedom (go to PEC NEWS for full statement)
- EGYPT. Egypt’s draft constitution is worryingly ambiguous on freedoms of expression and information, the time being now to reach clarity in the guarantee of fundamental rights, writes PEC President Hedayat Abdel Nabi - story published by Al-Ahram Weekly (full story on PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2013. RUSSIA. PEC signed the International petition for the boycott of the winter Olympic Games to free the 30 Greenpeace activists imprisoned in Russia, among them one journalist and one photographer (go to PEC NEWS for the links)
- OCTOBER 2013. SYRIA. Polish photojournalist Marcin Suder, who was kidnapped in Syria in July, has managed to escape his captors and is back home (go to PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2013. SYRIA. Two more journalists missing in Syria: Abu Dhabi-based Sky News Arabia said it lost contact on Tuesday Oct 15 with reporter Ishak Moctar, cameraman Samir Kassab and their Syrian driver - at least 12 foreign journalists now kidnapped or missing in Syria (more info on PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2013. SYRIA. PEC condemns the abduction of two more french journalists Nicolas Hénin and Pierre Torrès - 23 foreign reporters kidnapped in total in one year in Syria // La PEC condamne l'enlèvement de deux journalistes français de plus en Syrie, Nicolas Hénin et Pierre Torrès - 23 journalistes étrangers enlevés au total depuis un an en Syrie (voir communiqué du 2 octobre sur PEC NEWS)
Les deux journalistes français, Nicolas Hénin (à gauche), reporter, et Pierre Torrès (à droite) photographe, ont été enlevés le 22 juin dans la ville de Raqqa, dans le nord de la Syrie, ont annoncé le 9 octobre leurs familles et le ministère français des Affaires étrangères qui avaient gardé jusqu'à présent secrète leur détention. Au total, ce sont officiellement quatre journalistes français qui sont retenus en otages en Syrie, avec Didier François et Edouard Elias, enlevés le 6 juin. Selon les familles, les deux journalistes sont en vie, mais rien n'a été indiqué de leur lieu et conditions de détention, ni de l'existence d'une revendication. Nicolas Hénin (37 ans) était en Syrie pour un reportage pour l'hebdomadaire Le Point et la chaîne de télévision Arte. Il est le responsable du bureau de l'agence de presse de télévision Solas Films en Afrique et au Moyen-Orient depuis 7 ans. Il collabore à Radio France et à diverses radio-télévisions francophones, RTBF, RTS et Radio Canada. Pierre Torres (29 ans), est un photographe qui a couvert la révolution libyenne et a vendu notamment des images à l'AFP en 2012.
- OCTOBRE 2013. Lire l'interview du secrétaire général de la PEC Blaise Lempen réalisée par El Hadji Gorgui Wade Ndoye et publiée dans le quotidien Walfadjri à Dakar et sur le site de l'Organisation internationale de la francophonie (cliquez à gauche sur OTHER NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2013. PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemned the killing of a Journalist in yet another act of violence against media in Pakistan and asked the authorities to thoroughly investigate the murder case and bring the culprits to justice (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2013. EGYPT. PEC condemns the attack on Egyptian journalist Khaled Daoud at the vicinity of Tahrir square in Cairo (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBER 2013. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns kidnapping of journalists by armed groups in Syria - 90 journalists killed in 26 countries in 9 months // La PEC condamne la pratique du kidnapping de journalistes par des groupes armés en Syrie - 90 journalistes tués dans 26 pays en 9 mois // La PEC condena la practica de los secuestros de periodistas por grupos armados en Siria - 90 periodistas asesinados en 26 países en 9 meses // حملة الشارة تدين اختطاف الصحفيين في سوريا من قبل جماعات مسلحة (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS English, French, Spanish and Arabic - including a special report on Central America and Mexico)
- OCTOBRE 2013. SYRIE. Entretien exclusif à la PEC du journaliste italien Domenico Quirico, détenu pendant cinq mois et libéré le 8 septembre: "La seule manière de faire mon métier est d’être sur le terrain et de raconter ce que je vois. Si je ne peux pas aller sur le terrain et faire cela, je peux changer de métier !" - lire l'entretien sur PEC NEWS
Pour Domenico Quirico (ici lors de son retour en Italie, accueilli par Emma Bonino), les journalistes sont sans protection face à de nouveaux acteurs dans les conflits actuels, "des fanatiques religieux ou des bandits". Mais il ne faut pas renoncer à décrire ce qui se passe en allant sur le terrain.
- SEPTEMBER 2013. ONE MORE FOREIGN JOURNALIST MISSING IN SYRIA. Spanish reporter Marc Marginedas kidnapped three weeks ago near Hama
Marc Marginedas' (photo) newspaper El Periódico revealed (September 24) that the Spanish journalist was kidnapped by Jihadi fighters near the city of Hama on 4 september. There has been no news of Marginedas since then and no group has claimed responsibility for his abduction. The Press Emblem Campaign calls for his immediate release.
- SEPTEMBER 2013. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. The PEC expresses its appreciation for the initiatives taken by the Austrian Government and the "core group" at the United Nations to guarantee freedom and protection for the media (read the PEC statement and the decision adopted on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2013. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. EGYPT. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses its concern about the crackdown by the Egyptian authorities on media outlets and the arrest of staff members, which violate international obligations (read the PEC statement delivered at the HRC on PEC NEWS)
Challenges of Media Coverage of the Crisis in Egypt - side-event at the United Nations - read the PEC speech: "Reporting HR violations: the role of international HR organizations" (go to PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2013. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. COMMISSION OF INQUIRY ON SYRIA. The PEC is particularly concerned about the growing phenomenon of abduction and vigorously denounces the inhuman or degrading treatment imposed on journalists, including fake executions. The PEC calls on all factions involved in the Syrian conflict to release all the journalists and media workers (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Statement by Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro (photo, with Carla del Ponte), Chair of the Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic:
"Syria has become an increasingly dangerous place for journalists to work. A disturbing pattern of harassment, arrest and detention of journalists, especially foreigners, has emerged. In the last six weeks, reports have been received of journalists kidnapped by extremist anti-Government armed groups". (Oral update, 16/09/2013)
- SEPTEMBER 2013. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. Presentation of the report of the OHCHR on the safety of journalists - Concrete steps are needed to translate a strong support to the report in reality. Read the PEC oral statement, the call by Austria supported by 72 countries, the IFJ statement (go to PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBRE 2013. Entretien exclusif de la PEC avec Florence Aubenas: « La Syrie est aujourd’hui un cimetière pour les journalistes et pour l’information » (lire l'entretien sur PEC NEWS)
La journaliste Luisa Ballin (photo), membre du comité directeur de la PEC, a longuement rencontré à Paris Florence Aubenas. Ex-otage en Irak, elle s'exprime à coeur ouvert sur les difficultés d'informer dans les zones de conflit et de troubles internes, en Syrie et en Egypte, et sur l'évolution du métier de grand reporter, alors qu'au moins sept journalistes étrangers sont toujours kidnappés en Syrie, certains depuis plusieurs mois. La PEC est soulagée de la libération le 8 septembre de l'envoyé spécial de "La Stampa" Domenico Quirico et en même temps consterné par les mauvais traitements qu'il a subis en captivité en Syrie pedant exactement cinq mois.
- SEPTIEMBRE 2013 - Violaciones a la libertad de expresión en México y Centroamérica durante el mes de agosto (read the report of Cerigua on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2013: INSECURITY GROWING in PAKISTAN: Pakistani media fear that govt could muzzle them (full report on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2013. NEW REPORT PUBLISHED BY THE OFFICE OF THE UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONNER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS ON SAFETY OF JOURNALISTS - PEC STATEMENT: Protection of journalists: the actual good practices are not sufficient, nor effective enough in combating impunity (read the full statement on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2013. EGYPT. PEC condemns killing of journalists in Egypt and a setback for the freedom of the press // حملة الشارة تدين مقتل مدير مكتب الاهرام في البحيرة
(read PEC full statement and the report of the Union of Arab Journalists on recent developments in Egypt When treachery bullets assassin the "truth" on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2013: GUATEMALA - Otro periodista asesinado en Guatemala; cuarto en lo que va del año - La Organización Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC) condena de forma enérgica el asesinato del periodista Carlos Alberto Orellana Chávez (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2013: Egypt Lashes Out at Foreign News Media’s Coverage - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) deeply regrets recent attacks against foreign media in Egypt amid rising tensions (read reports on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2013: FOUR JOURNALISTS KILLED IN EGYPT - THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) SADDENED TO HEAR THE DEATH OF SKY NEWS CAMERAMAN MIKE DEANE SHOT AND KILLED IN CAIRO (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Sky News cameraman Mick Deane (photo) has been shot and killed covering the violence in Cairo August 14. Mick, 61, had worked for Sky for 15 years, based in Washington and then Jerusalem. The Head of Sky News John Ryley described Mick as the very best of cameramen, a brilliant journalist and an inspiring mentor to many.
- SYRIE: Didier François et Edouard Elias otages depuis plus de deux mois - Florence Aubenas: "on ne peut pas abandonner"
Q. Faut-il encore mettre sa vie en jeu et partir en reportage en Syrie ?
Florence Aubenas: "Journalistiquement, on ne peut pas se permettre d'abandonner et de ne plus traiter le conflit. Ce serait comme si un médecin, confronté à une maladie, disait: "On n'y arrive pas, c'est trop compliqué, on va laisser les gens mourir". La question, c'est plutôt: comment continuer d'y aller, alors qu'il existe clairement une chasse aux journalistes et qu'on ne veut pas laisser l'information sortir du pays ?" (interview au quotidien "Le Matin", 14 août 2013)
Journaliste ex-otage détenue en Irak pendant plusieurs mois, libérée en juin 2005, Florence Aubenas (photo) préside le comité de soutien aux deux journalistes français, otages depuis leur enlèvement près d'Alep il y a plus de deux mois, le 6 juin. D'après le ministre français de la Défense, les deux otages sont en vie. Selon Florence Aubenas, on ne sait pas qui les détient. "C'est le propre de la Syrie: tout est possible. Ils ont très bien pu être enlevés par les rebelles comme par les forces gouvernementales. Toute la difficulté est là". Au moins six autres journalistes étrangers sont détenus en Syrie, certains depuis un an. La PEC se joint aux efforts de Florence et renouvelle son appel à une libération sans condition.
- AUGUST 2013. ALERT GUATEMALA. THIRD JOURNALIST KILLED THIS YEAR. PEC condena asesinato de periodista guatemalteco Luis de Jesús Lima y exigió a las autoridades realizar una pronta y efectiva investigación para dar cuanto antes con los autores materiales e intelectuales del crimen. PEC mostró su preocupación porque en lo que va del 2013 han sido asesinados en Guatemala tres profesionales de la comunicación // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) condamne l’assassinat du journaliste Luis de Jesús Lima. Elle demande instamment aux autorités d’ouvrir une enquête et exprime sa vive préoccupation quant aux trois assassinats de professionnels de la communication qui ont eu lieu au Guatemala depuis le début de l’année 2013
NEW: PEC condena atentado contra periodista Fredy Rodas // La PEC condamne l’attentat contre le journaliste Fredy Rodas (read full statements on PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2013. SYRIA. ONE MORE FOREIGN JOURNALIST KIDNAPPED, polish photojournalist Marcin Suder, in Saraqeb, in the northwestern province of Idlib - still no news of 7 other foreign journalists held in captivity - Cases of journalists going missing or being kidnapped increased at an alarming rate in recent months - PEC calls for their immediate and unconditional release and warns that hostage-taking has become common by some groups to extort money and finance the war in Syria
A freelancer who works for the Corbis agency, the Polish photo-agency Studio Melon and other outlets, Suder (photo) was abducted July 24 during a raid in Saraqeb by an islamist group. The 36-year-old is an experienced war photographer who had worked in Somalia, South Sudan and Chechnya.
- JULY 2013. NO TO IMPUNITY. RUSSIA. Anna Politkovskaya family boycott murder trial over jury - near seven years after, investigators have yet to provide any details of who they believe ordered the killing - PHILIPPINES. The deferment of the arraignment of two of the principal accused in the November 23, 2009 Ampatuan town massacre adds to the already long list of delays in the judicial process (read details on our page NO IMPUNITY)
Five men are in court in Moscow in connection with the killing of Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, which happened in 2006. A spokeswoman for the family says they are concerned the court will try to speed up the trial to coincide with the anniversary of Politkovskaya's death.
- JULY 2013. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES AN OPEN DEBATE AT THE UN SECURITY COUNCIL IN NEW YORK ON THE PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS TO ENHANCE THE RESOLUTION 1738 ADOPTED ON 23 DECEMBER 2006 - however the PEC regrets the absence of concrete decisions at the end of the debate - speeches are not enough to improve access and fight impunity (read a UN summary of the meeting held 17 July and some statements on OTHER NEWS)
- Julio 2013. Violaciones a la libertad de prensa en Centroamérica y México durante el primer semestre del 2013 - reporte regional para PEC (see PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2013. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) in its report covering the first half of 2013 says that fewer journalists were killed, but that more journalists were kidnapped - In six months, since January, 56 journalists were killed in 23 countries // Moins de journalistes ont été tués au cours du premier semestre 2013, mais davantage de journalistes ont été kidnappés, a affirmé la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC). En six mois, depuis janvier, 56 journalistes ont été tués dans 23 pays // Menos periodistas han sido asesinados en el curso del primer semestre de 2013, pero han aumentado los secuestros, segun la Campana Emblema de Prensa (PEC). De enero hasta la fecha, 56 periodistas han sido asesinados en 23 paeses
(click left on PEC NEWS for the press release in English, French, Spanish and Arabic)
- JUILLET 2013. SYRIE. QUI A TUE GILLES JACQUIER A HOMS LE 11 JANVIER 2012 ? Attentat Express (Seuil) est l'enquête de la compagne de Gilles Jacquier Caroline Poiron, et des deux journalistes suisses Sid Ahmed Hammouche et Patrick Vallélian. Ils étaient tous présents à Homs le 11 janvier 2012, lors de l'assassinat du journaliste français. Ils ont mené l'enquête et accusent. Un témoignage de première main sur les difficultés à couvrir les zones de conflit.
LISEZ L'ENTRETIEN EXCLUSIF ACCORDE A LA PEC SUR PEC NEWS
Caroline Poiron (photo) était la compagne de Gilles Jacquier, grand reporter à France2, tué le 11 janvier 2012 à Homs dans des circonstances dramatiques. Dans Attentat Express, elle retrace, avec Sid Ahmed Hammouche et Patrick Vallélian, les événements qui se sont succédé ce jour-là. Leur enquête pose de troublantes questions.
- JUNE 2013: SIGNS OF HOPE IN IRAN - THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) CALLS ON IRAN NEW PRESIDENT HASSAN ROHANI TO LIFT CENSORSHIP, TO STOP BLOCKING WEBSITES AND TO RELEASE ALL JOURNALISTS DETAINED (go to OTHER NEWS for more)
- JUNE 2013: ISRAEL. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) PROTESTS AGAINST DOUBLE STANDARDS AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL and deeply regrets personal attacks against the Special rapporteur on human rights in the palestinian territories Richard Falk (read on PEC NEWS the statement delivered on behalf of 19 NGOs)
- JUNE 2013: PEC STATEMENTS DELIVERED AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON PALESTINE AND THE VIENNA DECLARATION (full statements on PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2013: SYRIE - la PEC demande la libération immédiate du journaliste français Didier François (photo), grand reporter à Europe 1, et du photographe Edouard Elias, disparus en Syrie le 6 juin alors qu’ils tentaient de gagner la ville d’Alep - PEC CALLS FOR THE IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF TWO FRENCH JOURNALISTS KIDNAPPED IN SYRIA
"Connus pour leur professionnalisme, les deux journalistes remplissent une mission d’intérêt général en couvrant de manière indépendante la tragédie syrienne. Les journalistes ne doivent en aucun cas être pris pour cibles par les diverses parties engagées dans le conflit ni servir en aucune façon de monnaie d’échange", a affirmé le président français François Hollande réagissant à cet enlèvement.
- JUNE 2013: PEC AWARD CEREMONY 2013 - PEC award 2013 has been awarded to the Director of Cerigua in Guatemala, Ileana Alamilla, to cartoonist McDonald from Honduras and to two ambassadors, that of Austria Thomas Hajnoczi and of Switzerland Alexandre Fasel (click left on PEC AWARD for press releases, press reports, photos, speeches, bios)
The PEC Prize 2013 for the protection of journalists has been awarded 6 June at the Swiss Press Club in Geneva to Ileana Alamilla (Guatemala), Allan McDonald (Honduras), ambassador Alexandre Fasel (Switzerland) and ambassador Thomas Hajnoczi (Austria).
- JUNE 2013. TURKEY. PEC draw the Human Rights Council’s attention to press freedom and the situation for journalists in Turkey and protests in Istanbul, where reporters and journalists have been victims of both targeted attacks and indiscriminate violence used by police to disperse demonstrators (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2013. SYRIA. PEC STATEMENT DELIVERED AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON THE OCCASION OF THE PRESENTATION OF THE REPORT OF THE INDEPENDENT COMMISSION OF INQUIRY ON SYRIA (read on PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2013. PEC STATEMENT AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON THE OCCASION OF THE PRESENTATION OF THE REPORT OF THE SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR ON FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION FRANK LA RUE (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2013. High environment of impunity in Pakistan (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2013. SYRIA - URGENT DEBATE AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - PEC STATEMENT: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) follows with grave concern the evolution of the civil war in the Syrian Arab Republic, notably concerning the access of media workers to the territory (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2013: PEC SAYS IN AMMAN NO RETURN TO HANDCUFFS ON MEDIA WORK IN THE MIDDLE EAST (read the full statement on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2013: ANOTHER JOURNALIST HELD IN SYRIA - GERMAN REPORTER ARMIN WERTZ ENTERED THE CONFLICT-TORN COUNTRY EARLY MAY - AT LEAST FIVE FOREIGN JOURNALISTS DETAINED OR MISSING IN SYRIA (Read: reinforcement of security guidelines for coverage in Syria by AFP - go to OTHER NEWS)
According to the german newspaper Tagesspiegel, Armin Wertz (photo) told on May 5 by SMS that he was being held by Syrian police in Aleppo. In a new message on Sunday May 12, the reporter asked for help. PEC calls for its immediate release and evacuation, as fighting intensifies in Aleppo.
The reporter writing on a freelance basis for german and asian media is at least the fifth foreign journalist detained or missing in Syria with two Americans Austin Tice and James Foley (since last year), Italian Dominico Quirico (since April) and Palestinian Bashar Fahmi Al-Kadumi (since August 2012)
- MAY 2013. TURKEY. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls on the Human Rights Council’s attention to the severe conditions Kurdish journalists have to face in their country. Almost three-quarter out of the more than 200 journalists imprisoned in Turkey are from the medias that criticize the governmental policy towards the Kurdish people (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2013. MEXICO. PEC APPALLED BY MURDERS OF TWO CHILDREN OF WELL-KNOWN JOURNALISTS (go to PEC NEWS)
Hundreds of journalists and human rights defenders staged marches in 14 Mexican states to demand an end to the barbarity that targets them, and an end to impunity (April 28).
- MAY 2013. On World Press Freedom Day, PEC honors the media workers killed in the line of duty // Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse: la PEC rend hommage aux travailleurs des medias tués dans l'exercice de leur fonction // قبيل يوم الصحافة العالمي: حملة الشارة الدولية تحي ذكري من سقطوا و هو يؤدون عملهم (full statement English, French and Arabic on PEC NEWS) (on SYRIA and James FOLEY, consult also OTHER NEWS)
- APRIL 2013. SYRIA. PEC without news of one more reporter in Syria - Veteran Italian war correspondent missing since 20 days (more on PEC NEWS)
Italian daily La Stampa says its correspondent in Syria has been missing for about 20 days. 62 year-old Domenico Quirico (photo), an experienced war reporter, entered Syria on April 6 from Lebanon. His last contact was a text message sent on April 9 to an Italian colleague from state TV, saying he was on the road to Homs.
- APRIL 2013. PAKISTAN: PEC worried by the death of a ninth journalist since January ahead of general polls (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2013. PARAGUAY. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is worried by the second murder of a journalist in the north-east of Paraguay this year - an alarming trend: 12 journalists were killed since January in Latin America, 5 only in April (go to PEC NEWS for more)
- APRIL 2013. PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemned the suicide bomb attack on a political party rally in Pakistan’s Northwestern city of Peshawar in which among others, a Pakistani print journalist was killed and two other media persons sustained injuries (go to PEC NEWS for full statement).
- APRIL 2013. SYRIA. PEC CONDEMNS THREATS TO AL-JAZEERA AND AL-ARABIYA CHANNELS BY SYRIAN BUSINESSMAN - DETENTION OF FOUR ITALIAN JOURNALISTS BY REBEL GROUP (go to PEC NEWS for more)
Four italian journalists have been kidnapped in the north of Syria, on the border with Turkey, by a rebel group April 5. According to news reports, the abducted were one reporter working for the Italian public broadcaster RAI Amedeo Ricucci (photo) and three freelance journalists Andrea Viganli, Elio Colavolpe and Susan Dabbous. PEC welcomed their release on April 13.
- APRIL 2013. PEC report for the first 3 months of 2013: 28 journalists killed in 15 countries // rapport de la PEC pour les trois premiers mois de 2013: 28 journalistes tués dans 15 pays // desde el primero de enero, 28 periodistas fueron asesinados en 15 países (go to PEC NEWS for the report, English, French, Spanish and Arabic, to TICKING CLOCK for the updated list of casualties)
A TV correspondent for German public broadcaster ARD Jörg Armbruster, 65 (photo), was seriously wounded by gunfire in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo March 29, then evacuated to Turkey and Stuttgart April 1. The veteran journalist had been based in Cairo until January 2013, where he had reported on events in the Arab World.
- MARCH 2013. Rwandan editor, jailed for opinion piece, fails in appeal - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns targeting journalists in Rwanda (go to PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2013. PEC STATEMENT AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. Promoting the safety of journalists and fighting impunity must not be constrained to after-the-fact, but required prevention mechanisms to address the root causes of violence (go to PEC NEWS for full statement)
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) delivered five oral statements and made two written contributions on the occasion of the 22nd session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva (photo of room XX at the United Nations)
- MARCH 2013. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is deeply concerned about the difficulties Palestinian journalists have to face in carrying out their duty - PEC statement at the Human Rights Council (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2013. HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. Universal periodic review - Switzerland. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls upon Switzerland, as Depositary State of the Geneva Conventions... // Conseil des droits de l'homme - rapport de la Suisse pour l'examen périodique universel - La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) lance un appel à la Suisse, en tant qu'Etat dépositaire des Conventions de Genève... (go to PEC NEWS for the PEC statement, English and French)
- MARCH 2013. TURKEY. PEC statement delivered at the Human Rights Council - 22nd session. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) draws the attention of the Council on the severe restrictions on freedom of expression and the difficult conditions in which some journalists can carry out their mission in Turkey, particularly those of Kurdish origin (full statement on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2013. SYRIA. Human Rights Council - 22nd session. Report of the Independent international commission of inquiry on the situation in the Syrian Arab Republic - PEC STATEMENT: "Journalists have the duty to inform and denounce all human rights violations, particularly when they could constitute crimes of war or crimes against humanity. In the absence of any images of those atrocities it is very difficult to mobilize the public opinion in order to stop the massacres"... (go to PEC NEWS for full statement)
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the release of Ukrainian journalist Ankhar Kochneva (photo). Ukraine's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday 12 March confirmed that the journalist is free after 150 days in captivity. Kochneva, who has written for Syrian and Russian newspapers, was kidnapped in western Syria on Oct. 9 and reportedly held by members of the Free Syrian Army opposition group.
- MARCH 2013. PAKISTAN. PEC appreciates and supports ‘the International Friends of Media Alliance on Safety’ and UN action Plan in Pakistan - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemned three Pakistani journalists’ killings during last week in separate incidents, one in lawless Northwestern tribal region, one in Balochistan and another in Karachi (PEC statements, documents of the conference on PEC NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2013. SYRIA. PEC IS SHOCKED BY THE DEATH OF A FOURTH FRENCH REPORTER OLIVIER VOISIN -
REMEMBER - Mazen Darwish detained over a year - Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik killed at Homs one year ago - PEC renews its call for the release of Mazen Darwish and his colleagues with immediate effect - PEC supports a new campaign launched by journalists: please visit: www.adaywithoutnews.com (PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Olivier Voisin (38 ans, photo) est le 4e journaliste français à mourir en exerçant son métier pour couvrir le conflit en Syrie. Il a succombé à ses blessures dimanche 24 février dans un hôpital en Turquie, après avoir été grièvement blessé par des éclats d'obus jeudi, alors qu'il couvrait les opérations d'un groupe armé d'opposition dans la région d'Idlib (nord de la Syrie)
- FEBRUARY 2013. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) submitted two written statements to the attention of the 22nd session of the UN Human Rights Council (HRC) on freedom of the press (go to PEC NEWS for the PEC statements)
- FEBRUARY 2013: SOMALIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) welcomes Somali Prime Minister’s pledge for justice to the Somali Journalists and hopes it will put an end to journalists' killings in Somalia (go to page NO IMPUNITY)
- FEBRUARY 2013. SRI LANKA. Sri Lanka Sunday Leader reporter Faraz Shauketaly shot: PEC strongly condemns (for reports go to OTHER NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2013: PAKISTAN, A FOURTH JOURNALIST KILLED IN THE TRIBAL AREAS (go to PEC NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2013. PEC CALLS ON MEXICO’S NEW REGIME TO STOP PRESS KILLINGS AND HONOR THE NEW LAW TO PROTECT THEM // LLAMA PEC AL GOBIERNO MEXICANO DETENER MATANZA DE PERIODISTAS Y RESPALDAR LA LEY DE PROTECCION (PEC statement English and Spanish on PEC NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2013. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) PUBLISHED ITS ANNUAL REPORT ON ITS ACTIVITIES IN 2012 AND LAUNCHES A NEW PAGE ON ITS WEBSITE (go to PEC NEWS, new page NO IMPUNITY)
- JANUARY 2013. PAKISTAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expressed its solidarity with the Pakistani journalists and family members of the slain journalists who staged a sit-in outside the country’s parliament on Jan 28 demanding for the arrest of journalists’ killers and provision of compensation to their families (go to PEC NEWS)
- JANUARY 2013. SYRIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) SADDENED AND DISMAYED BY THE DEATHS OF BELGIAN-BORN FRENCH JOURNALIST YVES DEBAY IN ALEPPO, ONE YEAR AFTER THE KILLING OF GILLES JACQUIER IN HOMS, AND ANOTHER REPORTER WORKING FOR AL-JAZEERA (go to PEC NEWS)
Belgian-born French journalist Yves Debay (58)(photo) was shot by snipers once in the head and once in the chest in Aleppo. He was taken to Turkey, where medical staff pronounced him dead. Another journalist Al-Jazeera reporter Mohamed Al-Massalma was shot three times while covering the front lines in the town of Busra Al-Harir in the countryside of Daraa on Friday.
- JANUARY 2013. PAKISTAN. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) strongly condemned the twin successive terrorists' bomb attacks in Southwestern Pakistan that have killed three journalists (see PEC NEWS)
- JANUARY 2013. UPDATE PEC REPORT: 141 journalists killed in total in 2012 in 29 countries, an increase of 31% - A FOURTH JOURNALIST MISSING IN SYRIA (go to PEC NEWS, list of casualties on TICKING CLOCK)
American freelance reporter James Foley (39) (photo) was kidnapped in Syria six weeks ago and has been missing since then, his family revealed Wednesday January 2nd. An experienced war reporter he was seized by armed men in the northern province of Idlib on November 22, according to witnesses. Foley worked for Agence France-Presse, GlobalPost and contributed to major US TV channels.
- DECEMBER 2012. PEC annual report 2012: Record number of journalists killed this year: 139 in 29 countries, an increase of 30% // Rapport annuel de la PEC: record du nombre de journalistes tués en 2012, 139 dans 29 pays, en hausse de 30% // Informe PEC 2012: Número récord de periodistas asesinados en el 2012, 139 periodistas de 29 países, un aumento del 30 por ciento // الشارة الدولية لحماية الصحفي: 139 صحفيا قتلوا في 29 دولة خلال العام الحالي
- DECEMBER 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the targeting of journalists in Egypt, calls for an immediate inquiry // حملة الشارة تدين استهداف الصحفيين المصريين و تطالب بتحقيق فوري (click left on PEC NEWS for the PEC statement)
El-Hosseini Abul-Deif (photo), a journalist at El-Fagr newspaper, opposed to the Egyptian President, was shot in the head for photographs he has taken and was critically injured during the clashes at the Presidential Palace in Heliopolis, Egypt on Wednesday. Reports blamed members of the Muslim Brotherhood for the attack. He died on Wednesday 12 December
- NOVEMBER 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) receives the Nicolas Bouvier award for Journalism // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) reçoit le prix Nicolas Bouvier de Journalisme // حملة الشارة تحصل على جائزة بوفييه السويسرية للصحافة (PEC press release on PEC NEWS, English, French and Arabic)
Nicolas Bouvier (1929-1998) (photo) was a Swiss writer and photographer. His travels all over the world incited him to recount his experiences and adventures like a journalist. His journey in 1954 from Geneva to Japan was in many ways prescient. His most famous books are The Way of the World, The Japanese Chronicles, and The Scorpion Fish. The Bouvier Prize for Journalism is awarded every two years.
- NOVEMBER 2012. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES THE OUTCOME OF THE VIENNA UN CONFERENCE ON SAFETY OF JOURNALISTS // حملة الشارة ترحب بنتائج اجتماع فيينا و هدايت عبد النبي تطالب بإقامة لجنة تحقيق دولية في مقتل الصحفيين (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
Bangladesh journalists demonstrated at the UN Vienna International Center and at the Press Club during the two-day meeting on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity. They called for an investigation in the murders of four journalists in Bangladesh killed in the past 10 months.
- INTERNATIONAL DAY TO END IMPUNITY: PALESTINE, PAKISTAN, SOMALIA, LATIN AMERICA... read reports on page OTHER NEWS
- NOVEMBER 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the opening of the meeting in Vienna on the safety of journalists and the civil society statement to the meeting (go to PEC NEWS for the statement of the civil society)
- NOVEMBER 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns targeted killings of journalists in Gaza, renewed attacks against media buildings by Israel (see PEC statement on PEC NEWS, reports on PRESS and OTHER NEWS)
- NOVEMBER 2012. ISRAEL STRIKES MEDIA BUILDING IN GAZA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns in the strongest possible manner the targeting of media installations in Gaza as well as homes of media professionals //حملة الشارة تدين و بقوة استهداف المنشآت الإعلامية و منازل الصحفيين في غزة(PEC statement English and Arabic on PEC NEWS, reports on PRESS and OTHER NEWS)
- NOVEMBER 2012. DO NOT MISS the UN Inter-Agency Meeting on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity organized by UNESCO in Vienna (Austria) on 22 and 23 November - looking for further progress on the issue of protection of journalists, the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes this timely and important meeting (see media advisory on PEC NEWS)
The Vienna meeting will launch implementation of UN Action Plan on the Safety of Journalists for the next two years. This strategy will include international, regional and national activities. The PEC will attend the meeting in Vienna with many other professional organizations and NGOs.
- NOVEMBER 2012. SYRIA. AMERICAN REPORTER AUSTIN TICE MISSING SINCE THREE MONTHS. THE PEC CALLS FOR HIS IMMEDIATE RELEASE (see reports on PRESS)
Austin Tice (31, photo) last contacted his family on August 13 while in Syria reporting on the uprising there against the government of President Bashar al-Assad. At a press conference in Beirut (Lebanon), on November 12, Tice's mother, Debra Tice, called on her son's captors to release him. Three other foreign journalists are missing in Syria (PEC).
- OCTOBER 2012. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) CONDEMNS RENEWED ATTACKS ON MEDIA WORKERS IN SOMALIA, GREECE AND SYRIA (see reports on pages OTHER NEWS, PRESS)
- OCTOBER 2012. PEC UPDATE. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses its extreme worry at the rising toll in journalists killed during the past 9 months, 110 in 25 countries, which represents an increase of 36 percent compared to previous year // La PEC est consternée par la hausse du nombre de victimes parmi les travailleurs des medias cette année. Jamais autant de journalistes ont été tués en neuf mois, en hausse de 36% d'une année sur l'autre // La Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC) esta consternada por el alza del número de víctimas entre los trabajadores de los medios de comunicación. Jamás tantos periodistas fueron asesinados en nueve meses, un alza del 36 por ciento de un año al otro// "حملة الشارة"مقتل 110 صحفيين في 25 دولة خلال 9 أشهر
(READ THE FULL STATEMENT on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2012. PEC congratulates the Human Rights Council for its adoption of a historic resolution on the safety of journalists // La PEC félicite le Conseil des droits de l'homme pour l'adoption historique d'une résolution sur la sécurité des journalistes // PEC felicita al Consejo de Derechos Humanos por la adopción de una histórica resolución sobre la seguridad de los periodistas // حملة الشارة الدولية ترحب بقرار مجلس حقوق الإنسان التاريخي بشأن سلامة الصحفيين و تعتبره خطوة أولى لمكافحة الإفلات من العقاب (READ FULL STATEMENT AND THE TEXT OF THE RESOLUTION ADOPTED ON PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2012. ORAL STATEMENT DELIVERED BY THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL - The PEC welcomes the initiative taken by Austria and the core group for the safety of journalists and sees the draft resolution L.6 as a big step forward. The PEC calls the Council’s members to adopt by consensus the resolution L.6 (read full statement on PEC NEWS)
The PEC congratulates Member States of the UN for drafting a resolution on the protection of journalists. Speaking at the HRC chaired by Ambassador Laura Dupuy Lasserre (photo) the NGO calls for the adoption of the resolution by consensus
- SEPTEMBER 2012. SOMALIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) STRONGLY CONDEMNS THE BARBARIC ATTACKS THAT KILLED FOUR JOURNALISTS IN MOGADISHU BRINGING THE TOTAL IN SOMALIA TO 13 THIS YEAR (read on pages OTHER NEWS and PRESS)
- SEPTEMBER 2012. TURKEY. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) expresses its deepest concern about the arrest of dozen of journalists charged under the Turkish anti-terror law (read the PEC statement at the Human Rights Council on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2012. SYRIA. PEC STATEMENT AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. The PEC calls on the IICI to dedicate a section in his next report to the violence against media workers and the measures taken by the various parties to the conflict to protect them and to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted and convicted (read the full statement on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2012. Journalists killed in a record number - the PEC welcomes a high-level meeting in New York to enhance the protection of journalists (full statement on PEC NEWS, see also PRESS)
- SEPTEMBER 2012. Impunity as an engine of journalists’ killings - PEC written statement for the UN Human Rights Council 21th session (read the full PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2012: SYRIA. JAPANESE REPORTER SHOT DEAD IN ALEPPO - THE PEC SHOCKED (read stories on PRESS, PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is horrified and deeply saddened by the death of a fourth foreign journalist in Syria since January. A Japanese reporter Mika Yamamoto (photo) (45) was killed after coming under fire from pro-government troops in the conflict-wracked Syrian city of Aleppo.
- AUGUST 2012. PEC STATEMENT: THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN CONDEMNS ALL ATTACKS AGAINST MEDIA IN SYRIA - حملة الشارة تدين الاعتداءات ضد الصحفيين في سوريا (read full statement on page PEC NEWS, English and Arabic)
- JULY-AUGUST 2012: SYRIA. Two Western photographers freed in Syria after being held hostage for a week by Islamic extremists - Two Ankara-based Al Jazeera correspondents and three other journalists were wounded while reporting in Aleppo - Syrian state television headquarters rocked by bomb blast, State TV presenter executed in Damascus - Syrian state news agency Sana and Arab satellite station report deaths of two journalists in the capital - Reporter for Iran TV said abducted by rebels in Syria
(read all stories on PRESS)
- AUGUST 2012: SOMALIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) STRONGLY CONDEMNED THE MURDER OF THREE SOMALI JOURNALISTS IN SEPARATE INCIDENTS IN MOGADISHU IN TWO WEEKS - 9 JOURNALISTS KILLED IN SOMALIA SINCE JANUARY (read full report on OTHER NEWS)
Mohamud Ali Keyre (Buneyste) (photo) was murdered on Sunday evening (12 August 2012) after being struck in the head by a bullet journalists believe was fired by government affiliated armed men (PEC)
- JULY 2012. EGYPT-SUDAN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) praised the efforts that led to the release of the detained Egyptian journalist Shaimaa Adel in Khartoum, Sudan (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2012. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES AS A STEP FORWARD THE JOINT STATEMENT DELIVERED BY AUSTRIA ON BEHALF OF A GROUP OF 56 STATES AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON SAFETY OF JOURNALISTS (Read the statement on PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2012. PEC reports an increase of 33 percent in the number of journalists killed in 6 months // Hausse de 33% du nombre de journalistes tués en six mois // PEC denuncia un incremento de 33 por ciento de periodistas asesinados en seis meses // تقرير حملة الشارة: ارتفاع عدد القتلى بين الصحفيين بنسبة 33 (click left on PEC NEWS to read the PEC PRESS RELEASE)
- JUNE 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns the attack on the Syrian TV station Al-Ikhbariya near Damascus where three journalists and four other employees were killed (read the PEC statement at the Human Rights Council on PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes 2 major UN reports on protection of journalists delivered at the Human Rights Council: Report of the Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Christof Heyns and Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression, Frank La Rue (go to PEC NEWS and PRESS)
UN Special Rapporteurs Christof Heyns and Frank La Rue at a side event on protection of journalists in Geneva, 20 June 2012 (photo PEC)
- JUNE 2012. PEC AWARD - PRIX PEC. The PEC award 2012 for the protection of journalists goes to Syrian militants informing the world on the continuing blood bath in Syria since the beginning of the uprising to honor their work and relentless efforts while risking their lives, physical liquidation, imprisonment and torture // Le prix 2012 pour la protection des journalistes de la PEC est décerné aux militants syriens qui informent le monde extérieur des violences dans leur pays avec courage et persévérance au risque de leur vie, de l'emprisonnement et de la torture (Read press releases and speeches clicking left on our special page PEC AWARD)
Mazen Darwish and his colleagues of the Center for media freedom (SCM) are detained in Damascus since February 16 - other activists are prosecuted - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls for their immediate release
At a press conference in Geneva organized by PEC, the President of Syrian Democrats Dr Tawfik Chamaa called for a military intervention to stop the bloodshed in Syria (photo keystone)
- JUNE 2012. SYRIA. PEC STATEMENT at the Human Rights Council - 19th Special Session - The deteriorating human rights situation in the Syrian Arab Republic and the recent killings in El-Houleh (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2012. INVITATION. PEC AWARD 2012. SWISS PRESS CLUB - GENEVA - MONDAY 4 JUNE 3 pm (see invitation on PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2012. LA PEC SOULAGEE PAR LA LIBERATION DU JOURNALISTE FRANçAIS ROMEO LANGLOIS APRES 33 JOURS DE CAPTIVITE EN COLOMBIE - PEC WELCOMES THE RELEASE UNHARMED OF FRENCH JOURNALIST ROMEO LANGLOIS AFTER 33 DAYS OF CAPTIVITY in COLOMBIA (read reports on PRESS)
ROMEO LANGLOIS EST LIBRE après 33 jours de captivité dans le sud de la Colombie aux mains de la guérilla des FARC. Il avait été capturé le 28 avril lors de l'attaque d'une brigade de l'armée qu'il accompagnait pour filmer une opération anti-drogue. La PEC rend hommage à son courage professionnel pour continuer à informer dans le contexte très dangereux de la Colombie (PEC-photo AFP)
- MAY 2012. THE PEC strongly condemns the murder of a sixth journalist in Somalia since the beginning of 2012 (see report on OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2012. The Doha Forum’s workshop on the recommendations of the International Conference on the Protection of Journalists is a welcome step in further calling international attention to and action on the unabated murders of media workers in many parts of the world - 60 killed since January as of today, said the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) - see reports on OTHER NEWS
- MAY 2012. MEXICO. PEC strongly condemns murder of three more journalists in Mexico, four in a week (see reports on PRESS)
- MAY 2012. PEC on World Press Freedom Day calls for the release of Mazen Darwish and his colleagues in Syria // A l'occasion de la Journée de la liberté de la presse, la PEC demande la libération de Mazen Darwish et de ses collègues en Syrie // En ocasión del Día de la libertad de la prensa, la PEC pide la liberación de Mazen Darwish y sus colegas en Siria (read full statement on PEC NEWS)
Mazen Darwish (photo) and his male colleagues Hussein Ghrer; Abd Rahman Al Hamada; Hani Zateni; and Mansour Al Omarie, are still detained since February. According to the Syrian Journalists Union, Mazen Darwish, held in solitary confinement, is suffering from a worsening health condition, after being tortured. In addition women staff at the Center Yara Bader; Razan Ghazzoui; Sanaa Meshn; Ayham Ghazzoul; Joan Ferso; and Bassam Al Ahmad have been summoned in front of the judge of the military justice in Damascus (PEC)
- APRIL 2012. French journalist Romeo Langlois kidnapped in Colombia - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls for his immediate release
PEC manifiesta su preocupación por la situación del periodista francés Roméo Langlois (photo), desaparecido en Colombia // La PEC demande la libération du journaliste français Romeo Langlois disparu depuis le 29 avril en Colombie (see reports on PRESS and OTHER NEWS)
- APRIL 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns strongly the attacks in the capital of Nigeria Abuja and in Kaduna against the offices of the newspaper This Day (read on PEC NEWS, PRESS)
- APRIL 2012. Number of Journalists killed increased by 50 percent in 3 months // Hausse de 50% du nombre de journalistes tués en 3 mois // Aumenta en 50% el número de periodistas muertos // الزيادة 50 بالمائة في مقتل الصحفيين (Read full English, French, Spanish, Arabic press release on PEC NEWS - click also left on page TICKING CLOCK, PRESS and OTHER NEWS)
- MARCH 2012. SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes strongly the adoption at the Human Rights Council of resolution A/HRC/19/L.38/Rev 1 on Syria presented by Denmark (on behalf of EU) and supported by a large number of countries condemning attacks against journalists and asking for full and unhindered access. The PEC calls for its immediate implementation on the ground (go to PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2012. CHINA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) is deeply concerned that Chinese officials have announced the closure to foreigners of the “Tibet Autonomous Region” from February 20 to March 31, 2012 as well as the close off of Tibetan areas in Sichuan and Qinghai provinces that have seen protests, crackdown and self-immolations (to read the PEC full statement at the Human Rights Council click left on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2012. SYRIA. REPORT OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMISSION OF INQUIRY. PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) STATEMENT AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL (read on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2012. PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN STATEMENT AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS - general debate (read full statement on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2012. Urgent debate on SYRIA. The Press Emblem Campaign PEC welcomes the adoption of the resolution by the Human Rights Council on the escalating grave human rights violations and deteriorating humanitarian situation in the Syrian Arab Republic - statement delivered by PEC (click left on PEC NEWS, see also last news on PRESS)
- FEBRUARY 2012. Statement delivered at the Human Rights Council by the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) on the occasion of the "Panel discussion on the promotion and protection of freedom of expression on the internet" (read full statement on PEC NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2012. SYRIA. PEC strongly condemns killing of two journalists in Syria and launches an urgent appeal to the Human Rights Council - La PEC condamne le meurtre de deux journalistes en Syrie et lance un appel urgent au Conseil des droits de l'homme (click left on PEC NEWS)
- JANUARY 2012. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the recommendations of the International Conference on the Protection of Journalists in Dangerous Situations (Doha, Qatar, 22 and 23 January) as a historic milestone and an important step forward to enhance the protection of media employees in conflict zones (see PEC NEWS and PRESS)
- JANUARY 2012. SYRIE. Journaliste français tué en Syrie: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) est consternée. Elle condamne dans les termes les plus vifs l'attentat qui a causé la mort de Gilles Jacquier et demande une enquête indépendante de l'ONU // SYRIA: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) saddened by the death of French journalist Gilles Jacquier // SIRIA : La PEC consternada por asesinato de periodista francés (go to PEC NEWS, French, English, Arabic and Spanish, lire aussi sous PRESS)
- JANUARY 2012. SPECIAL REPORT ON LATIN AMERICA. PERIODISMO INDEPENDIENTE BAJO FUEGO CRUZADO EN LATINOAMERICA (see full report on PEC NEWS, SPANISH, summary in English)
- DECEMBER 2011: PEC report 2011 - At least 106 journalists killed in the course of the year // Rapport annuel de la PEC - Au moins 106 journalistes tués en 2011 // PEC Informe - Al menos 106 periodistas asesinados en 2011 (Click left on PEC NEWS for the report in English, French, Spanish and Arabic)
- DECEMBER 2011. SYRIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) calls UN Human Rights Council to Insure the security of journalists during civil unrests in the Syrian Arab Republic // SYRIE. La PRESSE EMBLEME CAMPAGNE (PEC) demande au Conseil des droits de l'homme d'assurer la sécurité des journalistes au cours des violences dans la République arabe syrienne // 18a sesión especial del Consejo de
Derechos Humanos: la Campaña Emblema de Prensa pide Garantizar la seguridad de los periodistas durante la violencia en Siria (ENGLISH, FRENCH, SPANISH, click left on PEC NEWS)
- NOVEMBER 2011. PEC strongly condemns sexual assaults on women journalists in Egypt // La PEC condamne les agressions sexuelles contre des journalistes en Egypte (read on PEC NEWS and details on PRESS)
- NOVEMBER 2011. FIRST INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST IMPUNITY. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) JOINED OTHER ORGANIZATIONS TO CALL GOVERNMENTS TO PREVENT AND PUNISH VIOLENCE AGAINST JOURNALISTS (Read on page OTHER NEWS)
- NOVEMBER 2011. At least 14 journalists injured in Egypt. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses solidarity with the Egyptian journalists and calls for an urgent independent enquiry // EGIPTO: PEC se solidariza con los periodistas egipcios y pide una investigación independiente (see PEC NEWS, English, Arabic, Spanish)
- NOVEMBER 2011. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes the Vienna Expert Consultations on „Safety of Journalists: Towards a more effective international protection framework” (read on PEC NEWS, SEE ALSO PRESS)
- OCTOBER 2011. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) heartily congratulates Yemeni journalist Tawakkol Karman for winning this year's Nobel Peace Prize. As an active woman journalist, Korman has achieved a dual victory by not only honoring the profession by being at the center of the struggle but also a woman leading the news of the day (read the full PEC statement on PEC NEWS, English, Arabic)
- SEPTEMBER 2011. PEC STATEMENT AT THE UN HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. So far, 78 journalists killed in 2011 - the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) alarmed by the deterioration in Latin America with 30 journalists killed in nine months // Déclaration de la PEC au Conseil des droits de l'homme. 78 journalistes tués depuis le début de l'année - la PEC alarmée par la détérioration en Amérique latine où 30 journalistes ont été tués en neuf mois // México se ha convertido en el país más peligroso del mundo para los periodistas, denunció hoy la ONG “Campaña Emblema de Prensa” en el Consejo de Derechos Humanos de la ONU - la situación en general de la prensa en América Latina es inquietante, con 30 periodistas asesinados desde enero (read the statement on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2011. LIBYA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls the International Commission of Inquiry to consider pursuing its investigations into the fate of media professionals. The PEC calls upon the new transitional government in Libya to rapidly investigate in all the incidents that involved the killing, kidnapping and ambushing of journalists and to report to the International Commission (read on PEC NEWS the PEC statement at the Human Rights Council) (new journalists injured, see PRESS)
- SEPTEMBER 2011. PEC calls on the Human Rights Council to adopt a resolution which will allow the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights to conduct a study that will document the grave violations of fundamental human rights and freedoms of journalists in the last 10 years and to investigate causes and consequences of these violations; propose the best means to protect journalists in zones of conflict or civil unrest (read the PEC statement on PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2011. PEC STATEMENT AT THE UN HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. There is an urgent need to specifically protect journalists in the context of peaceful protests which could degenerate in violence (read the statement on PEC NEWS)
- AUGUST 2011. LIBYA. Journalists freed unharmed from Rixos hotel after being held by Gaddafi gunmen in Tripoli: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses relief - other journalists wounded and kidnapped - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the flagrant attacks against journalists and hostage taking in Libya. The situation in Libya remains very dangerous, warns the NGO. (click left on PEC NEWS for the PEC statement, on PRESS for details)
- AUGUST 2011. SYRIA. Special session of the Human Rights Council. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) urges the Syrian Arab Republic to lift all restrictions on the exercise of the profession of journalist and to free all journalists imprisoned for reasons related to the exercise of their profession; to grant immediate access to the country to any foreign journalist who wants to fulfill his mission on the Syrian territory (read the PEC statement at the Human Rights Council on PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2011. PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN REPORT - Worldwide 52 journalists killed during the first 6 months of 2011 - Casualties among media represent a heavy toll in Arab countries // 52 journalistes tués au cours des six premiers mois de 2011 - lourd bilan dans les pays arabes // 52 PERIODISTAS ASESINADOS EN EL TRANSCURSO DEL PRIMER SEMESTRE DE 2011. PESADO BALANCE EN LOS PAISES ARABES // مقتل 52 صحفيا في الأشهر الستة الأولى من هذا العام (click left on PEC NEWS for the report, English, French, Spanish, Arabic)
- JUNE 2011: La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) soulagée par la libération des journalistes français otages depuis un an et demi en Afghanistan - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) rejoices by the release of the two French journalists in Afghanistan after a year and a half in captivity (go to PEC NEWS, PRESS)
Immense soulagement à l'arrivée des deux journalistes à l'aéroport de Villacoublay, près de Paris, jeudi 30 juin, après l'une des plus longues prises d'otages
- JUNE 2011. LIBYA. PALESTINE. SYRIA. READ PEC STATEMENTS AT THE UN HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL, 17th session (go to PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2011. The PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) award 2011 honors leading media and civil society who played a pivotal role in the success of the ongoing Arab Spring // Le Prix PEC 2011 récompense des militants et organisations ayant joué un rôle-clef dans le succès du "printemps arabe" // El Premio de la PEC 2011 recompensa a los militantes y organizaciones que han jugado un papel clave en el éxito de la « primavera árabe » // حملة شعار الصحفي تكرم الصحفيين التونسيين و المدونين المصريين و منظمة التضامن الانساني ليبيا
(go to our special page PEC AWARD)
At the PEC award ceremony, in Geneva, from left to right: Neji Bghouri (Tunisia), Khaled Saleh (Libya), ambassador of Qatar Al-Dosari, PEC president Hedayat Abdelnabi and Ahmed Abdelaziz (Egypt) (photo PEC)
- MAY 2011. LIBYA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) IS HORRIFIED BY THE DEATH OF SOUTH AFRICAN JOURNALIST IN LIBYA (go to PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2011. LIBYA. GOOD NEWS. FOUR REPORTERS FREED. ANTON HAMMERL STILL MISSING (see PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2011: LIBYA - URGENT APPEAL FOR INFORMATION ON THE WELLBEING OF PHOTOJOURNALIST ANTON HAMMERL (click left on PEC NEWS to read the letter)
- MAY 2011. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins others to mark the 500 days that french reporters Hervé Ghesquière and Stéphane Taponier have been held hostage in Afghanistan // La PEC se joint aux autres organisations pour marquer les 500 jours de détention des journalistes français Hervé Ghesquière et Stéphane Taponier en Afghanistan (go to PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2011. LIBYA: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) denounces attempts of using journalists as human shields by Gadhafi (click left on PEC NEWS for more and see the video)
- MAY 2011. World Press Freedom Day: The PEC denounces the repression of media during the evolving Arab Spring // Journée de la liberté de la presse: La PEC dénonce la répression envers les medias lors du printemps arabe // Dia de la libertad de prensa - Denuncia la PEC represión contra los medios durante la “primavera árabe” (go to PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2011. LIBYA. Two photoreporters killed in Misrata - four journalists killed in Libya (go to PEC NEWS, PRESS for details) - Journalists still detained and missing in Libya - (read articles on PRESS)
- APRIL 2011. GAZA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns strongly the killing of Vittorio Arrigoni (see PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2011. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns targeted killings of journalists recently in Iraq and Libya, 23 killed since January in 12 countries, calls for a special session of the HRC // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) condamne les assassinats de journalistes en Irak et en Libye – 23 journalistes tués depuis le début de l’année dans 12 pays. L’ONG demande une session spéciale du Conseil de l’ONU sur le Bahreïn, la Syrie et le Yémen // La PEC condena el asesinato de periodistas en Iraq y en Libia- 23 periodistas asesinados desde el inicio del año en 12 países. La ONG pide una sesión especial del Consejo de la ONU sobre Bahrein, Siria y Yemen (more on PEC NEWS)
- APRIL 2011. LIBYA. JOURNALISTS MISSING, DETAINED. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) urges Libyan authorities to release all journalists detained (see PEC NEWS, PRESS)
- APRIL 2011: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) denounces the killing of 21 journalists during the first 3 months of 2011 (22 for the same period in 2010) in 12 countries - Iraq (4 journalists killed) and Pakistan (3 killed) most dangerous countries (see details on page Ticking Clock)
- MARCH 2011. SYRIA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) CONDEMNS NEWS BLACKOUT ON CRACKDOWN (see OTHER NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. LIBYA. Deeply shocked, the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns bad treatments of journalists detained - Freed New York Times journalists held by Libyan government recall nightmarish ordeal (see PEC NEWS)
Journalists in Libya facing heavy risks to cover the conflict - Read the full story of New York Times journalists held and tortured in Libya (link to NYT story on our page PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) warmly welcomes the new Secretary-General of the IFJ amidst growing dangers for journalists in Libya (go to PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns in the strongest possible manner the ambush prepared for Aljazeera crew near Benghazi that left its cameraman Ali Hassan Al Jaber dead (go to PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. Oral statement of the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) at the Human Rights Council: the PEC calls upon the United Nations to take concrete steps (see PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. LIBYA. Journalists targeted, beaten, injured, detained, missing: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) very worried (see PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. CHINA. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) CONCERNED BY USE OF FORCE AGAINST JOURNALISTS IN CHINA. More Crackdown Incidents; Authorities Use Force to Prevent Reporting of Jasmine Rallies (go to OTHER NEWS)
- MARCH 2011. LIBYA. PEC calls upon Human Rights Council for an independent inquiry on attacks on media in Arab countries facing unrest // La PEC demande au Conseil des droits de l’homme une enquête indépendante sur les attaques commises à l’encontre des media dans les pays arabes // PEC pide al Consejo de Derechos Humanos una investigación independiente sobre los ataques a los medios de comunicación durante los disturbios en curso en los países árabes (click left on PEC NEWS, OTHER NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2011. LIBYA. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns restrictions on media coverage, internet access. A blanket ban on foreign journalists entering Libya has meant that facts are hard to verify (see PEC NEWS, updates on PRESS)
- FEBRUARY 2011: EGYPT - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns the attack against CBS journalist Lara Logan (click left on PEC NEWS and PRESS)
- FEBRUARY 2011: EGYPT - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses hope that Egypt’s transition period will bring about a genuine and free press to the Arab region (go to PEC NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2011: EGYPTE - la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) dénonce au moins 150 incidents visant les medias et une tactique inutile des pro-Moubarak – elle demande à l’ONU d’enquêter // Egypt: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) denounces at least 150 incidents targeting the media and useless tactics of the Mubarak supporters -- it asks the United Nations to investigate // Egipto: La PEC denuncia al menos 150 incidentes contra los medios de comunicación y las tácticas inútiles de los partidarios de Mubarak. La ONG pide a las Naciones Unidas que investigue (go to PEC NEWS, PRESS, OTHER NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2011: EGYPT - URGENT APPEAL - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls upon Egyptian authorities to release all detained journalists and to ensure the security of all foreign and Egyptian journalists during demonstrations // PEC hace un llamamiento a las autoridades egipcias para que liberen a todos los periodistas detenidos y garantice la seguridad de todos los periodistas extranjeros y egipcios durante las manifestaciones en curso // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) demande aux autorités égyptiennes de libérer tous les journalistes et de garantir la sécurité de tous les journalistes égyptiens et étrangers lors des manifestations (go to PEC NEWS)
- FEBRUARY 2011: EGYPT - Publishing houses and journalists under attack, the PEC condemns strongly those heinous attacks, PEC calls for urgent investigation//Medias et journalistes attaqués, la PEC condamne ces agressions honteuses et demande d'urgence une enquête (go to PEC NEWS)
- JANUARY 2011. EGYPT: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) deplores interruption of Internet services in Egypt, arrests and attacks against journalists // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) dénonce l'interruption des services internet, les arrestations et attaques de journalistes en Egypte // La Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC) deplora la interrupción del Internet en Egipto, así como el arresto y los ataques perpetrados contra periodistas (for more go to PEC NEWS, OTHER NEWS, PRESS)
- JANVIER 2011: TUNISIE: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) salue le retour de la liberté de la presse dans un pays arabe // The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) rejoices that journalists in Tunisia have regained their freedom // TUNEZ. La PEC saluda el regreso de la libertad de prensa en un país árabe (go to PEC NEWS and PRESS)
- JANUARY 2011: TUNISIA - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) CALLS ON TUNISIAN GOVERNMENT TO LIFT CENSORSHIP AND ALLOWS A FREE PRESS // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) demande aux autorités de Tunis de lever la censure et de permettre aux journalistes tunisiens et étrangers d'enquêter librement sur les troubles dans le pays (go to: PEC NEWS and PRESS)
- JANUARY 2011: WORLD PEC UPDATE - FINAL FIGURE FOR 2010: 110 journalists killed (see PEC NEWS, TICKING CLOCK)
- DECEMBER 2010: WORLD PEC REPORT: 105 journalists killed during the year, 529 in five years - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) denounces the death of 105 journalists in 33 countries during 2010. According to the PEC report some 529 journalists were killed over a period of 5 years, on average 2 every week // RAPPORT DE LA PEC: 105 journalistes tués en 2010, 529 en cinq ans La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) dénonce la mort de 105 journalistes au cours de l'année 2010 dans 33 pays. Dans son rapport annuel, l'ONG constate également que 529 journalistes ont été tués en cinq ans, soit en moyenne deux par semaine. // PEC- INFORME 2010: 105 periodistas asesinados durante el año. 529 en cinco años - La Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC) denuncia la muerte de 105 periodistas en 33 países en el transcurso del año 2010. En su informe anual, la ONG constata igualmente que 529 periodistas han sido asesinados en los últimos cinco años, lo que significa un promedio de dos por semana (suite sur PEC NEWS, go to PEC NEWS)
- DECEMBRE 2010: LIBEREZ LES OTAGES: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) exprime sa solidarité avec Hervé Ghesquière et Stéphane Taponier, nos confrères français enlevés en Afghanistan par un groupe taliban il y a un an le 20 décembre 2009, et demande leur libération inconditionnelle. (voir sur: www.liberezles.net)
- DECEMBER 2010: ALERT PAKISTAN: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC)strongly condemns the killing of four journalists in two weeks (go to OTHER NEWS, TICKING CLOCK)
- DECEMBER 2010. WIKILEAKS, the US Embassy Cables and the right to know: read opinions on our page OTHER NEWS
- NOVEMBER 2010. PHILIPPINES. GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION: NEVER AGAIN. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins a global day of action to mark the Ampatuan massacre, one year after. On November 23, 2009, 32 journalists and media workers were brutally murdered in a massacre of at least 57 people in Ampatuan town, Maguindanao in the southern Philippines. The PEC marking this date is sending a letter to the new President of the Philippines Benigno Aquino calling upon the President to take serious steps to ensure that justice is delivered to the families of the killed journalists (go to PEC NEWS for letter and more)
- NOVEMBER 2010. RUSSIA. A TURNING POINT ? MOSCOW JOURNALIST ATTACKERS WILL BE PUNISHED, SAID PRESIDENT DMITRY MEDVEDEV (go to PEC NEWS and see the video of the attack against Russian journalist Oleg Kashin)
- NOVEMBER 2010: UPR review of the United States at the UN Human Rights Council - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls for the protection of the WikiLeaks investigative journalism (photo Julian Assange). WikiLeaks has come under increasing pressure since July, when it first published 77,000 secret U.S. documents on the war in Afghanistan. "We have never faced such difficulties as an organization as in the past three months," he said in Geneva, flanked by two bodyguards (go to PEC NEWS)
- OCTOBRE 2010: OTAGES DEPUIS 300 JOURS EN AFGHANISTAN - la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) exprime sa profonde solidarité avec Hervé Ghesquière et Stéphane Taponier, enlevés, lundi 25 octobre, depuis 300 jours en Afghanistan, avec leurs trois accompagnateurs, alors qu’ils réalisaient un reportage pour la télévision française France 3.
La PEC demande aux ravisseurs de mettre fin immédiatement et sans conditions à la détention intolérable, inutile et sans aucune justification des journalistes et de leurs acompagnateurs. ( Voir tous les détails sur: www.liberezles.net)
- AFGHANISTAN. Read also: Award-winning photographer embedded with US troops severely wounded in Afghanistan (go to PRESS)
- OCTOBER 2010. CUBA: CUBAN DISSIDENT AND JOURNALIST WINS EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT'S SAKHAROV PRIZE (go to OTHER NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2010: Press Emblem Campaign Media Casualties Report: 90 journalists killed in 9 months a horrifying and worrying increase // Augmentation alarmante du nombre de journalistes tués : 90 journalistes tués en 9 mois // Alarmante aumento del número de periodistas asesinados : 90 en nueve meses (go to PEC NEWS, TICKING CLOCK)
- SEPTEMBER 2010: THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WELCOMES THE REPORT OF THE UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONNER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS on the panel discussion on the protection of journalists in armed conflict and suppports its recommendations (A/HRC/15/54). We publish the full report in order to disseminate the report (go to PEC NEWS)
- SEPTEMBER 2010: ALERT PAKISTAN: 3 JOURNALISTS KILLED IN 10 DAYS, 2 MURDERED BY TALIBANS (see TICKING CLOCK)
- AUGUST 2010: PEC condemns the killing of Lebanese journalist Assaf Abu Rahhal (see PEC NEWS)
- JULY 2010: ALERT IRAQ - The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) condemns in the strongest possible manner the attack by a suicide car bomb in Baghdad on the Arab satellite channel Al-Arabiya in which four employees and two members of the public were killed (go to PEC NEWS, PRESS, OTHER NEWS)
- JULY 2010: PEC GETS CONSULTATIVE STATUS WITH THE UNITED NATIONS - LA PEC OBTIENT LE STATUT CONSULTATIF A L'ONU: PEC CONTINUES ITS FIRM DEDICATION FOR THE PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS, HEARTENED BY ECOSOC APPROVAL // La PEC encouragée par la décision de l'ECOSOC va poursuivre ses efforts pour renforcer la protection des journalistes // PEC CONTINÚA FIRME EN SU OBJETIVO DE PROTECCIÓN A LOS PERIODISTAS, ALENTADA POR LA APROBACIÓN DEL ECOSOC (click left on PEC NEWS for the statement in English, French, Spanish, Arabic)
- JULY 2010: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) deplores and condemns the killing of 59 journalists in six months // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) déplore et condamne l'assassinat de 59 journalistes en six mois // DEPLORA LA PEC EL ASESINATO DE 59 PERIODISTAS EN SEIS MESES (go to: PEC NEWS - English, French and Spanish- PRESS)
- AFGHANISTAN: SIX MOIS DE DETENTION. Deux journalistes français sont retenus en otages en Afghanistan depuis exactement six mois le 29 juin. Hervé Ghesquière et Stéphane Taponier, journalistes pour la chaîne de télévision France 3 et leurs trois accompagnateurs afghans ont été enlevés le 30 décembre dans la province de Kapisa, dans l'est de l'Afghanistan. La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) exprime sa solidarité avec l'épreuve des otages et de leur famille et demande une nouvelle fois leur libération immédiate. Les journalistes ne représentent pas leur gouvernement et ne défendent pas la présence des soldats français en Afghanistan. Ce sont seulement des témoins indépendants des parties au conflit. Rien ne justifie leur détention (see PRESS).
- JUNE 2010: ALERT KYRGYZSTAN: THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC)CONDEMNS ATTACKS AGAINST ETHNIC UZBEKS MEDIA (go to OTHER NEWS)
- JUNE 2010. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) warmly welcomes the panel discussion on the protection of journalists in armed conflict at the Human Rights Council - La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) se félicite de l'organisation d'un débat sur la protection des journalistes au Conseil des droits de l'homme (go to: PEC NEWS)
More than 20 States and a dozen NGOs made oral statements during a three hours' discussion with six experts on protection of journalists in armed conflict, the first one at the Human Rights Council. Many speakers stressed the need to fight impunity (photo: during the debate in room XX at the United Nations' building in Geneva) (go to PEC NEWS)
- JUNE 2010. PEC award 2010 goes to the families of the victims of the 32 slain journalists in the Philippines massacre of 23 November 2009 and to the Center for Media Freedoms and Responsibility (CMFR) Manila, the Philippines as well as to the Ambassador of Egypt to the UN in Geneva Hisham Badr // Le Prix PEC 2010 pour la protection des journalistes est décerné aux familles des 32 journalistes tués le 23 novembre aux Philippines, au Centre pour la liberté et la responsabilité des medias aux Philippines (CMFR) ainsi qu'à l'ambassadeur d'Egypte à l'ONU à Genève Hisham Badr // El Premio PEC 2010 por la protección de los periodistas fue concedido a los familiares de 32 periodistas caídos el 23 de noviembre durante una matanza en Filipinas, al Centro para la libertad y la responsabilidad de los medios en Filipinas (CMFR) así como al embajador de Egipto ante la ONU en Ginebra, Hisham Badr (go to our special page PEC AWARD).
- MAY 2010. ISRAEL. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) strongly condemns the assault on media accompanying and covering the GAZA flotilla journey when Israeli commandoes attacked the flotilla Monday (go to PEC NEWS) (OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2010. THAILAND. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) CONDEMNS THE KILLING OF AN ITALIAN JOURNALIST AND THE INJURY OF ANOTHER FIVE (go to PEC NEWS and OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2010. ALERT THAILAND. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) GRAVELY CONCERNED: JOURNALISTS INJURED IN BANGKOK CLASHES (go to OTHER NEWS)
- MAY 2010. WORLD PRESS FREEDOM DAY: the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins call for a minute of silence to denounce impunity // Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) se joint à l’appel pour une minute de silence pour dénoncer l'impunité // JORNADA INTERNACIONAL DE LA LIBERTAD DE PRENSA: LA PEC RESPALDA LLAMAMIENTO DE LA UNESCO Y DENUNCIA LA IMPUNIDAD (go to PEC NEWS)
- OTAGES EN AFGHANISTAN DEPUIS QUATRE MOIS: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) inquiète du sort de deux journalistes français de la chaîne de télévision FR3, Hervé Ghesquière et Stéphane Taponier, détenus depuis quatre mois en Afghanistan, demande à nouveau leur libération immédiate (see OTHER NEWS)
- APRIL 2010: Reuters' cameraman killed in demonstrations in Bangkok (see PRESS) - First video of two French journalists kidnapped in December in Afghanistan (go to OTHER NEWS) - ALERT NIGERIA: 3 journalists killed (go to PRESS)
- APRIL 2010: IRAQ. SEVEN-YEAR ANNIVERSARY. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) joins media organisations across the world in commemorating the seven-year anniversary of two attacks by the United States in Iraq which resulted in the deaths of several journalists. This year’s April 8 anniversary coincides with publication by Wikileaks of a video which reportedly portrays a US military helicopter in July 2007 opening fire on and killing civilians in Baghdad, among them Reuters photographer Namir Noor-Eldeen and driver Sameed Chmagh (click left on: OTHER NEWS)
- APRIL 2010: THE PEC DENOUNCES WORRYING DEVELOPMENTS: 22 journalists killed in three months, more than half in Latin America - La PEC dénonce une évolution inquiétante: 22 journalistes tués en trois mois, dont plus de la moitié en Amérique latine - 22 periodistas asesinados desde enero, más de la mitad en América Latina (go to PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2010: GREAT SUCCESS FOR THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC): THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL HAS ACCEPTED A RESOLUTION TO ORGANIZE A PANEL ON THE PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS IN SITUATIONS OF ARMED CONFLICT (go to PEC NEWS for PEC statement, text of the resolution, intervention of the Egyptian ambassador)
- MARCH 2010: THE PEC WELCOMES SUPPORT OF MEMBERS OF SWISS PARLIAMENT ON PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS (go to PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2010: ALERT MEXICO, HONDURAS. FIVE JOURNALISTS KILLED IN MEXICO SINCE JANUARY, FIVE MURDERS IN HONDURAS IN MARCH - cinq journalistes tués au Mexique depuis janvier, cinq meurtres au Honduras en mars - cincos periodistas asesinados desde enero en Mexico, cincos en Honduras en menos de cuatros semanas (go to TICKING CLOCK, PRESS, OTHER NEWS)
- MARCH 2010: ALERT NEPAL. TWO JOURNALISTS KILLED IN ONE MONTH (go to OTHER NEWS)
- FEB 2010. SPECIAL HAITI: 26 journalists killed in the earthquake - la PEC rend hommage aux journalistes tués en Haïti (go to PEC NEWS)
- FEB 2010. A MILESTONE FOR THE PROTECTION OF JOURNALISTS: ECOSOC NGO COMMITTEE RECOMMENDS THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) FOR CONSULTATIVE STATUS AT THE UNITED NATIONS // Une étape importante pour la protection des journalistes: le comité des ONG de l'ECOSOC recommande le statut consultatif à l'ONU pour la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC)// EL COMITÉ DE LAS ONG DEL ECOSOC RECOMIENDA EL ESTATUS CONSULTATIVO A LA CAMPAÑA EMBLEMA DE PRENSA (click left on PEC NEWS for the PEC statement)
- JAN 2010. The PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) EXPRESSES ITS SOLIDARITY WITH THE HAITIAN JOURNALISTS // La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) solidaire des journalistes haïtiens (informations et témoignages, cliquez à gauche sur: PEC NEWS)
- JAN 2010. ALERT AFGHANISTAN: THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) WORRIED: TWO FOREIGN JOURNALISTS MICHELLE LANG (CANADA) AND RUPERT HAMER (UK) EMBEDDED WITH TROOPS KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN - TWO MORE KIDNAPPED (see Other News)
- JAN 2010. ANNUAL REPORT of the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) : 2009 a dark year: 121 journalists killed representing an increase of 33 percent over 2008 // Rapport annuel de la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) : 2009 année noire pour les medias : un record de 121 journalistes tués, en hausse de 33% par rapport à 2008 // Informe anual de la Campaña Emblema de Prensa (PEC) : 2009 un año negro para los medios: un récord de 121 periodistas asesinados, un alza del 33% en relación con 2008 (click left on PEC NEWS for the report) (for details on casualties, click on TICKING CLOCK)
- DEC 2009. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) shocked: 3 journalists killed and six wounded in suicide bombing in Somalia (go to OTHER NEWS, PEC NEWS)
- NOV. 2009. The massacre of 59 civilians, including 32 journalists, in the Philippines highlights the need to act against private militias and warlords angered by stories uncovering corruption. President Arroyo’s decisions so far not enough to fight impunity, said the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) (go to PEC News, read other reactions on OTHER NEWS, PRESS)
- NOV 2009. THE PRESS EMBLEM CAMPAIGN (PEC) SHOCKED: MASSACRE in the PHILIPPINES - at least 29 JOURNALISTS KILLED (go to PEC NEWS, PRESS, other reactions on OTHER NEWS)
- NOV 2009. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes statements on protection of journalists at the international conference on "60 years of the Geneva Conventions and the decades to come" and suppports Kofi Annan's call "to undermine the culture of denial" (go for our statement to: PEC NEWS)
- NOV 2009. The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) very concerned by the ban on media in Pakistan (go to: OTHER NEWS)
- OCT 2009. More than 70 journalists killed since the beginning of the year – The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes Human Rights Council resolution calling for free unfettered access for journalists in conflict zones // Plus de 70 journalistes tués depuis janvier - La Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) salue l'adoption d'une résolution du Conseil des droits de l'homme sur la liberté d'expression // Mas de 70 periodistas asesinados desde enero – La PEC saluda la adopción de una resolucion sobre la libertad de expresion efectuada por el Consejo de los Derechos Humanos de la ONU (go to: PEC NEWS)
- SEPT 2009: The Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) welcomes resolution on Freedom of Expression at the twelfth session of the UN Human Rights Council (A/HRC/12/L.14) sponsored by United States of America and Egypt - la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) se félicite de la présentation d'une résolution sur la liberté d'expression par les Etats-Unis et l'Egypte à la 12e session du Conseil des droits de l'homme (READ THE TEXT OF THE RESOLUTION ON: PEC NEWS)
- SEPT 2009: Afghanistan reporting affected by growing risks (click left on PRESS, OTHER NEWS)
- JULY 2009: Increase in the number of journalists killed during the first
six months of 2009 : 53 journalists killed compared to 45 for the same period in 2008 // Hausse du nombre de journalistes tués au cours des six premiers mois de 2009: 53 journalistes tués contre 45 au cours de la même période de 2008 // Aumenta el número de periodistas asesinados durante los primeros seis meses de 2009. La PEC informa de 53 periodistas asesinados contra 45 en el mismo periodo de 2008. (click left on: PEC NEWS, TICKING CLOCK)
- JUNE 2009: ceremony for the first Prize for the Protection of Journalists (go to: PEC AWARD)
- JUNE 2009: the Press Emblem Campaign supports conclusions and recommendations on Safety and protection of media professionnals submitted to the Human Rights Council by the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression Frank La Rue (go to PEC NEWS)
- MAY 2009: Marking World Press Freedom Day the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) announces its first annual prize, June 4 as a day for the remembrance of journalists who fell in the line of duty // Journée mondiale de la liberté de la presse: la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) crée un Prix pour la protection des journalistes et propose le 4 juin comme Journée en mémoire des journalistes tués // Jornada Mundial de la Libertad de la Prensa - La Campana Emblema de Prensa (PEC) crea un premio por la proteccion de los periodistas y propone el 4 de junio como Jornada en memoria de los periodistas asesinados (go to PEC NEWS and REMEMBER)
- APRIL 2009: in three months, 35 journalists killed in 16 countries - Pakistan the most dangerous country // En trois mois, 35 journalistes tués dans 16 pays - le Pakistan pays le plus dangereux // En tres meses, 35 periodistas asesinados en 16 paises - Pakistan el pais de mayor peligrosidad (go to PEC NEWS, TICKING CLOCK, PRESS)
- MARCH 2009: open letter from the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the occasion of her visit to Geneva (read the letter on PEC NEWS)
- MARCH 2009: Media protection crisis : 26 journalists killed since the beginning of the year – the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) calls upon the Human Rights Council to react // La crise de protection des journalistes s'aggrave : 26 journalistes tués depuis le début de l’année - la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC) lance un appel au Conseil des droits de l'homme // La crisis de protección de los periodistas se amplia: 26 periodistas asesinados desde el inicio del ano. La PEC hace un llamamiento al Consejo de Derechos Humanos (go to PEC NEWS)
- FEB 2009: A bad start for the media community: 14 journalists killed in one month, reports the Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) // L'année 2009 a très mal commencé, déplore la Presse Emblème Campagne (PEC), avec 14 journalistes tués // 2009 Mal comienzo para los medios de comunicación: 14 periodistas mue